Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 08:14 PM

88,647 posts, read 84,928,808 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
What's wrong with you? So in your opinion, a medical doctor and trash man have jobs of equal worth? On one hand, a doctor has to go through years of academic learning and then his residencies. And the schooling is extremely expensive, which is part of the reason his parents are so involved and aware of his career. A doctor's job requires him or her to use their brain to their fullness capacity, it can be very stressful, plus the dexterity of their hands to mend people. And on the other hand, trash man just has to haul trash and never use his brain at all. He doesn't even need to finish high school in order to do his job well. And he gets overtime and double time for working over 40 hours a week and on holidays.

And to be anyone in the medical profession is to have a real dedication and drive towards keeping the health and well being of other human beings.

And you probably resent any person that is more educated and/or a lot more intelligent than you. Also I suspect that you have more respect for your favorite sports team's top players than you do for any doctor. And if you do, your value system is really screwed up.
The trash man has a bigger impact on our everyday lives than a doctor does. I wouldn't argue that he doesn't have a brain, either. He knows you'd better pay him well or you're going to find yourself surrounded by garbage.

To believe that someone is of more value and deemed worthy of extra respect just because of the amount of education he has is ridiculous. I'm not saying that a Doctor hasn't earned his title, and it should be used when appropriate. But to throw a tantrum over a misaddressed wedding invitation is classless. I say withdraw the invitation and invite the garbage man in his place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2010, 08:25 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,258,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Occam's Bikini Wax View Post
A doctorspends a lot of time, a lot of effort, and yes, a lot of money to earn the privilege of having the title. What does it hurt to give them that courtesy? Does it remind you of your own lack of drive in life? Does it stick on your throat out of envy that you never made anything of your life? It doesn't mean that the doctor thinks he's better than you, or godlike. It's simply manners to address people with whatever title they have earned unless they request you do otherwise.
It's also manners to not throw a temper tantrum like a little toddler over what was probably a simple oversight -- especially by someone who apparently doesn't know you well enough to even know your title but was nonetheless gracious enough to invite you to their wedding.

Someone who wants to make such a big deal over acknowledging their profession ought to act like a professional.

Old 04-13-2010, 08:45 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,695,563 times
Personally, I think it's amusing how many of these "Doctors" actually have Honorary Doctorates - which means it's a title given to them, not a degree they earned.

Quite an accomplishment there, Doc.

Old 04-13-2010, 08:45 PM

122 posts, read 330,934 times
a lot of people spend lots of time and money on their careers, but they dont go around telling everyone about their jobs and demanding others to call them by a title. doctors definitely do important work for society, but they should remember that they're not the only ones, and they really shouldnt get so arrogant. and let's face it: there are also a lot of crappy doctors out there.

Old 04-13-2010, 08:58 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,261,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peptea View Post
a lot of people spend lots of time and money on their careers, but they dont go around telling everyone about their jobs and demanding others to call them by a title.
A friend of mine once told me that the best thing about earning a doctorate was the fact that no one could take it away from you for any reason, 'cause you earned it. For some reason I feel good about that.

I definitely feel like I earn each and every dollar; and I like to feel like that doctor part helps because in my program I learned to think about things differently.

But I still don't demand that folks call me Dr. __ I think we're all better of working as a team than when the order comes from yours truly.

Old 04-13-2010, 10:58 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,506,618 times
Well, I can kind of understand him.
When my husband was promoted to an E-5 in the Army he was offended when ever his subordinates did not address him as Seargent.
But I guess in a way that is different. In the Army you kind of have to do that.
As respect to this man, I would call him Doctor if that what he want. But then he has to expect people to later on ask him medical questions at all times, even on his vacation because he is obviously still, a Doctor, if you know what I mean.

Old 04-14-2010, 02:42 AM

23,238 posts, read 29,080,592 times
And what about Chiropractors? Are they Doctors, rightfully so?

I once worked for a Chiropractor and it was Dr. this, Dr. that. Call to make a reservation at a restaurant, it was Dr. this, always insisted everyone call her Doctor.

And knowing how corrupt and unethical this woman was, many times coming to work doctored with liquor, I was always tempted to address her as Shocktor.

Old 04-14-2010, 10:49 AM

1,921 posts, read 4,777,867 times
Speaking of doctorates, there's a push by LPNs who are earning doctorates in nursing to be called 'Doctors'. The AMA is fighting against this since this will 'confuse' the general public.

Old 04-14-2010, 11:14 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,214,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonwalkr View Post
Speaking of doctorates, there's a push by LPNs who are earning doctorates in nursing to be called 'Doctors'. The AMA is fighting against this since this will 'confuse' the general public.
If you schedule an appointment and they say you will see Dr. xxxx, wouldn't you be upset if they actually scheduled you to see a LPN instead?

I can undserstand that confusion

Old 04-14-2010, 01:25 PM

2,544 posts, read 4,286,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonwalkr View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
If you worked 80+ hours per week for 7+ years to be a doctor, you would want to be called by it too...<snip>
Good for one is good for the other, isn't it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates