Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2012, 12:00 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,752,438 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sosaalberto15 View Post
that is so true, there is a device for almost every occasion, making every thing soo much simpler. But, i do feel that has made us as a culture that laziest of all. For example, people in other countries prepare food more or less in the old fashion way, from scratch. Where as many people here in the USA much rather do it the simplified way, microwaved. Which by the way is alot less healthier.
Yes. Our jobs and daily life, our household and yard chores have been taken over by machines, our lives are incredibly easy. For that many Americans will join gyms - to give their bodies some kind of physical exertion.

What Americans do for leisure in fact is usually what people in poor nations do for necessity. If we ride horses or bikes, it's recreational, same if we have a day off and go hiking 10 miles. In other countries or in other times, all that was out of need.

Or if we're lucky we can get a few days and leave our comfortable homes with all the luxuries and get in a few days camping, even living in a tent, sitting around a bonfire cooking our food like they did in the old days, and trying to stay warm. For us that's fun -- but because our lives have become so comfortable and plush.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2012, 07:43 PM

5,472 posts, read 7,611,217 times
I think Im a little bit lazy, but having lived in different countries for extended periods of time, it seems that people can only be as lazy as they are allowed to. What I mean by that, is that in comparison to most places on this planet...life in the US is EASY. Even if you are unemployed or on welfare, you ay be living better than someoe working their buns off in another country. We have no wars destoying our country on our soil, and many of the obsticles we face seem trivial. Thats my take.

Old 01-28-2012, 10:30 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,169,659 times
We're lazy because that's just nature. We can work a few hours a day and we have everything we need. This is similar to how a lion just sleeps until it's hungry again. They only work when they have to.

This is a major drawback of a family-oriented lifestyle. In a society with proper social order, such as a tribe, we'd always have someone to answer to.

Old 01-29-2012, 07:21 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,495,300 times
Sounds like everyone here values work more highly than leisure. When can we expect the campaigns to eliminate weekends, holidays, sick and vacation days to start? And what about all those young people wasting theri time on education when they could be out working? And those elderly Americans who have retired and don't work at all???

The idea of productivity increases is to produce more with the same amount of effort, or to produce the same amount with less effort, the balance reverting to free-time and leisure. Nobody on his deathbed ever looked back and regretted having not put more hours in at the office. Tney regret that they didn't spend more time with the kids and grandkids or even just talking with their own parents. They regret never having found the time to go to Italy or to see the Grand Canyon or to start a neighborhood newsletter. Maybe people should re-examine the work-leisure balance in their own lives before they go off calling all these other people lazy.

Old 01-29-2012, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Sounds like everyone here values work more highly than leisure. When can we expect the campaigns to eliminate weekends, holidays, sick and vacation days to start? And what about all those young people wasting theri time on education when they could be out working? And those elderly Americans who have retired and don't work at all???

The idea of productivity increases is to produce more with the same amount of effort, or to produce the same amount with less effort, the balance reverting to free-time and leisure. Nobody on his deathbed ever looked back and regretted having not put more hours in at the office. Tney regret that they didn't spend more time with the kids and grandkids or even just talking with their own parents. They regret never having found the time to go to Italy or to see the Grand Canyon or to start a neighborhood newsletter. Maybe people should re-examine the work-leisure balance in their own lives before they go off calling all these other people lazy.
A whole lot of people do work weekends. Who do you think is bagging groceries in the stores when you shop on a weekend? And physicians and nurses and other hospital staff work weekends and holidays because patients get sick 7 times a week. Many banks are open on Saturday.

If you work when you go to college you don't come out with the same kind of student loan debt. A full course load is 15-18 hours a week which leaves plenty of time to work as there are 168 hours in a week. You could work 40 hours a week and sit in class 18 hours and that leaves 110 hours which is why so many of us did work our way through college.

I knew a 96 year old man who said he regretted retiring at age 94. Not everyone wants to do nothing and many people use vacation time to travel. In fact I took my kids to the Grand Canyon when I was working two jobs - I just asked for some time off to go.

Old 01-29-2012, 08:57 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,495,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
A whole lot of people do work weekends..........
So, I guess we'll put you down as another one here who values work over leisure. That's all you really needed to say. The rest is all either marginal or meaningless anyway. Weekend workers obviously have alternate days off. Many thousands of students do not work their way through school. Millions retire before the age of 94.

Old 01-29-2012, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
So, I guess we'll put you down as another one here who values work over leisure. That's all you really needed to say. The rest is all either marginal or meaningless anyway. Weekend workers obviously have alternate days off. Many thousands of students do not work their way through school. Millions retire before the age of 94.
I value both. All play and no work makes Johnny a very dull boy.

In fact how can one even appreciate leisure time if they don't know work? For those who don't work, every day becomes the same. Nothing to stimulate the body and mind. Unless you inherit so much money that you can travel all the time and find other ways to enjoy your time, the non-working types tend to just lay around day after day after day.

When I went to college, some of us went to class than headed off to work, those who didn't work headed off to parties, and more parties, and more parties. Those who worked generally had better grades.

Old 01-31-2012, 06:42 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,831,688 times
I do not know about the rest of you but I started working (doing something you don't want to do because of financial need or coercion) when I was a child. I resented working so other kids could have fun at our family miniature railroad while I was running the train. One of the things I learned was how to make metal do what I wanted it to do. Eventually I became a very skilled metal worker. I liked the work but I didn’t, and still don’t like having to work. Even more I did not like the condescending attitude the “engineers” used when speaking with us mere machinists. Most of these guys didn’t know a file from a forming hammer

After a few years in a factory I had the opportunity to go to college and work in an office. Much better but very boring and still annoying as I see so many people sitting on their asses on personal or government welfare. As far as I am concerned if I have to spend time at work so does everyone else except the lame, blind, insane or retired.

I expect to take up metal working, likely jewelry or sculpture, after I retire. I’ll be doing work but not working because with a retirement income I will not be working under the coercion of needing money.

Old 02-14-2012, 04:00 PM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 17 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,930,399 times
I disagree with that concept in plenty of ways. There are still plenty of Americans that seem very active and productive in their lives in general. And the history of America to current times makes it seem like a very productive country in general.

However, for the people that are lazy in America they probably became lazy because they feel so much entitlement in their lives just because they are American and that attitude should change for those people.

Also, some Americans seem spoiled and that is another attitude that should change for them as well.

Old 02-14-2012, 07:38 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,814,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misiu007 View Post
I think Im a little bit lazy, but having lived in different countries for extended periods of time, it seems that people can only be as lazy as they are allowed to. What I mean by that, is that in comparison to most places on this planet...life in the US is EASY. Even if you are unemployed or on welfare, you ay be living better than someoe working their buns off in another country. We have no wars destoying our country on our soil, and many of the obsticles we face seem trivial. Thats my take.
I think this is right. Pet dogs are lazy but wolves not so much so.

Actually the laziest person I ever met was the Korean girl who stayed with us for a semester. I never saw the girl get off her a$$ to do anything and on the nights she had to do dishes I think she just rinsed them off and put them in the cupboard wet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates