Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 01:30 PM

1,377 posts, read 4,211,164 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Do you think our parents and grandparents slaved their fingers to the bone, so that we could slave our fingers to the bone? Hard-workers made America a country where people could relax in leisure, and you dishonor your ancestors by refusing to accept that gift.
This^^ I've worked pretty hard my whole life, almost debt free, saving as much as I could living well beneath my means, while getting well underpaid, so once I don't have to work any harder, I WON'T. I've done my time, thank you.

Also, working hard does not guarantee a good paycheck. In fact, it seems the harder you work, the LESS you get paid, and the politicians and managers etc. have an infinite loop of ideas of how to make things better when nothing actually gets done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2010, 05:05 PM

314 posts, read 189,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
You think high school is a daycare? Wait until you get into management in business, and your job is to babysit the children that work for you. That's why I got right back out again.
Well as they say, "If you can't stand the heat....." You did the wise thing, all things taken into account. "Ambitionless" and "Management" are terms that don't go together. Clint Eastwood said "A man's got to know his own limits", and you were wise to reconize yours (and not confuse them with your shoes).

Old 04-29-2010, 05:53 PM

3,562 posts, read 5,223,727 times
I find the term lazy entirely vague. Can somebody show me the bare minimum that unlazy looks like on a day to day basis or week to week basis. This is one of those terms that gets flung around quite a bit.

You get up at ?
You immediately do ? and so on.

Old 04-29-2010, 06:22 PM

271 posts, read 393,794 times
I'm not lazy and i'm an American...I've served my country(Navy), pitched hay, worked in hot warehouses, mowed lawns, and currently work in kitchens...i'm caucasian by the way!?!?! My mom works very hard as an educator, my sister works her behind off in retail, and I believe that saying "Americans are lazy" is a blanket statement, which does nothing, but tries to paint a very diverse canvas with a one-dimensional brush...

Old 04-29-2010, 07:30 PM

1,188 posts, read 2,319,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by numbskull View Post
I'm not lazy and i'm an American...I've served my country(Navy), pitched hay, worked in hot warehouses, mowed lawns, and currently work in kitchens...i'm caucasian by the way!?!?! My mom works very hard as an educator, my sister works her behind off in retail, and I believe that saying "Americans are lazy" is a blanket statement, which does nothing, but tries to paint a very diverse canvas with a one-dimensional brush...

Uhh..numbskulll...the Op said why are SOME Americans lazy...not Americans ARE lazy. There's a difference. Some ARE, Some Are NOT.

Old 04-29-2010, 09:29 PM

2,883 posts, read 5,888,756 times
I'm usually don't believe in conspiracy theories, but this one is a conspiracy.

Literally, about 6 people in a room decided 20-25 years ago, we're going to make people idiots in this country. *How?*

-Get rid of smart, hard working people! Sloooooowly eliminate them.

Old, wise, Louis Rukeyser turns into a buffoon like Jim Cramer.

Trustworthy, staples of the news from the 60's and 70's sloooooowly turn into morons. You get buffoon talking heads on cable now.

Trustworthy "news" turns into Octomom and Dancing with the stars!

-Slooooowly get rid of thought. Get rid of all the hard books in the old days, and replace them with light, fluffy books now. Like "The Maestro" about Alan Greenspan. Make people too lazy to look up the definition of the FED, or Federal Reserve. Better to have a fluffy, nice image.

-Sloooooooooowly turn information into images. How motivated can you really be in an image based society? Not very. There's someone behind the curtain with more motivation.

-Sloooooooooowly turn thoughts into slogans. Oprah. Live Your Best Life. Change. Yes We Can?

-Sloooooooooowly turn out morons in the schools. Hard working, studious students from the 50's get turned into morons now. They can't even spell or think by the 12th grade. But they can think enough to get that graduation diploma.

-Slooooooowly turn out morons that vote for politicans who use empty rhetoric like, Americans are the hardest working people on earth! Haha, sad but true.

Old 04-30-2010, 04:07 AM

1,188 posts, read 2,319,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John23 View Post
I'm usually don't believe in conspiracy theories, but this one is a conspiracy.

Literally, about 6 people in a room decided 20-25 years ago, we're going to make people idiots in this country. *How?*

-Get rid of smart, hard working people! Sloooooowly eliminate them.

Old, wise, Louis Rukeyser turns into a buffoon like Jim Cramer.

Trustworthy, staples of the news from the 60's and 70's sloooooowly turn into morons. You get buffoon talking heads on cable now.

Trustworthy "news" turns into Octomom and Dancing with the stars!

-Slooooowly get rid of thought. Get rid of all the hard books in the old days, and replace them with light, fluffy books now. Like "The Maestro" about Alan Greenspan. Make people too lazy to look up the definition of the FED, or Federal Reserve. Better to have a fluffy, nice image.

-Sloooooooooowly turn information into images. How motivated can you really be in an image based society? Not very. There's someone behind the curtain with more motivation.

-Sloooooooooowly turn thoughts into slogans. Oprah. Live Your Best Life. Change. Yes We Can?

-Sloooooooooowly turn out morons in the schools. Hard working, studious students from the 50's get turned into morons now. They can't even spell or think by the 12th grade. But they can think enough to get that graduation diploma.

-Slooooooowly turn out morons that vote for politicans who use empty rhetoric like, Americans are the hardest working people on earth! Haha, sad but true.
I don't agree with everything you said, but basically I think we have slowly created a society of lazy people and some of your points are close to the truth. I believe we are going to end up a society of HAVE's and HAVE NOTS and the Middle Class are going to fade away. Why, just because of everything you said. The majority (NOT ALL) of the students today think they are "owed" the diploma and the job and the paycheck. They think as long as the show up (most of them LATE) that this is all it should take. They have ZERO motivation to do much of anything, much less be innovative, productive and strive to make the world around them better. All they want to do is pitch their two year old fits and scream and stomp their feet that someone isn't being fair to them, like a two year old! Sooo, yes - those who do WORK in school for good grades and move up thru the educational process and work to change their lives for the better and the community around them..THEY will be the new HAVES of the future and the rest...the HAVE NOT's...but never you fear..those HAVE NOTS will make a HUGE SCENE ABOUT IT WHEN IT HAPPENS!!! About how IT'S JUST NOT FAIR AND THEY ARE BEING DISCRIMINATED AGAINST and ALL THE OTHER BS THAT GOES WITH IT!!!! UGGHHH It makes me frustrated just THINKING about it!!!

Old 04-30-2010, 06:05 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,639,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by semperarmati View Post
Well as they say, "If you can't stand the heat....." You did the wise thing, all things taken into account. "Ambitionless" and "Management" are terms that don't go together. Clint Eastwood said "A man's got to know his own limits", and you were wise to reconize yours (and not confuse them with your shoes).
Well, the other reason for getting out of management is that they spent all their time babysitting the employees and NO time doing any ACTUAL work. So I wanted something where I was actually going to be EARNING my living, instead of having it handed to me on a silver platter.

Old 04-30-2010, 08:18 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,462,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Well, the other reason for getting out of management is that they spent all their time babysitting the employees and NO time doing any ACTUAL work. So I wanted something where I was actually going to be EARNING my living, instead of having it handed to me on a silver platter.
I don't know what kind of work you do but I was a senior manager. I agree that working with and being responsible for a staff, especially in the public sector, is often very much like herding cats. Yet I had plenty of "real" work to do in program design and implementation, legislative analysis, statute interpretation and application and the day-to-day stomping out of forest fires that go along with a high visibility, fast-paced forensic program with responsibility for keeping some of the worst of the worst off the streets.

By the way, as a law enforcement sergeant in a former life there was never a lack of *real* work to do either!

Old 01-20-2012, 10:31 AM

53 posts, read 178,522 times
im an American, ive worked all types of jobs. Ranging from corporate to construction. For years i have heard Americans complain "Illegal immigrants are stealing jobs". The vast majority of the jobs immigrants take pay minimum wage and require too much "effort". As a Mason, I've worked in extreme conditions many times, having to break up to 30ft of concrete with nothing more than a sledge hammer in 97 degree weather. If you've done that before then you'll know how hard that is. The point is, these are the working conditions that illegal immigrants that come to America have to go threw and i never hear any complaints. They are just happy that they are able to work and earn some money though it may not be much.
In all reality, if Americans were as hard working as we make it seem, then there wouldn't be millions of employed illegal Immigrants, those jobs would be employing Americans. But instead, There are millions of homeless people thought out the country whom much rather be homeless than work Manual Labor.
JUST SAYING
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates