Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 12:17 AM

221 posts, read 365,186 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
It was a business management degree. Personally, I don't see a need for such a degree--you can either do it, or you can't. You don't need someone else's opinion of the information you need to have to become a manager.
But unfortunately, employers use the degree as a bar, a requirement. And in some professions, the gov't does.

So, for now, the upper education institutes have a lock on many forms of upward mobility.

Jacksonian Democracy attacked the idea of Law Schools specifically, if I recall correctly, but it didn't last.

De Facto situation on the ground is, higher level degrees from *higher ranked schools* confer more earning power, on average.

Right or wrong, it is a fact. To believe otherwise would be an error in judgement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2010, 03:36 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,689,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmadison2 View Post
But unfortunately, employers use the degree as a bar, a requirement. And in some professions, the gov't does.

So, for now, the upper education institutes have a lock on many forms of upward mobility.

Jacksonian Democracy attacked the idea of Law Schools specifically, if I recall correctly, but it didn't last.

De Facto situation on the ground is, higher level degrees from *higher ranked schools* confer more earning power, on average.

Right or wrong, it is a fact. To believe otherwise would be an error in judgement.
I understand the "need" for a degree--which is the only reason I got it.

Old 04-29-2010, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deef1 View Post
If you have all that intelligence you proport to have then you are simply wasting life, I suspect it is different entirely, but whatever, LOL
How am I "wasting life"? I exercise my body through work, which is an admirable thing in and of itself, and I exercise my mind on my own time and on my own dime.

Mental activity isn't difficult, so it's reserved for leisure. Puzzles, mainly.

Old 04-29-2010, 04:02 AM

1,823 posts, read 1,882,941 times
Lazy are Us ! lol

Old 04-29-2010, 09:09 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,052,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphous01 View Post
It is to me. When I spend a few hours thinking deeply while reading a book, after I'm done, I'm mentally tired. Granted, I don't FEEL tired but I'm still tired.
He meant it is not mentally exhausting to read a book with large print and pictures of bunnies.

Old 04-29-2010, 11:31 AM

9,301 posts, read 8,357,102 times
Before I cast any stones at anyone else, I'll stone myself. Yes I have gotten lazy. I used to be a hard worker interestingly enough, but ever since the economy changed and I became "unemployable", I've just fallen off.

I'm trying to get it back on track. (For one thing I am getting myself in shape) Trying to maybe get a business off the ground. But...

If I can just get the lead out...

That said, compared to last century, I'd say we are not quite as active as we used to be.

Old 04-29-2010, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
He meant it is not mentally exhausting to read a book with large print and pictures of bunnies.
Or the New York Times crossword puzzle--which I do in pen.

Old 04-29-2010, 12:26 PM

604 posts, read 751,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tough Questions View Post
The media and politicians are always pandering and telling us that Americans are the hardest working people in the world. Yes, some Americans are very hard working and there are lots of impressive people in our country. But in general I find most people I meet to be very lazy. In fact I come in contact with more lazy people all the time. I teach at a college in the evening and so many students are lazy and will do the absolute minimum to pass. During the day I work as a manager at a very good company and we are constantly having trouble with lazy employees who lack creativity, skills and drive.

Do you believe that Americans of all ages are becoming lazy and are Americans still the hardest working people in the world?

Schools a joke!
HS is a daycare, to get you into college.

College is getting you a better job as long as you don't fail... maybe not a better job, but at least a nice pay-grade...

I work hard, but there's a time for everything, and being lazy has a time and place...like relaxing, sort of

Old 04-29-2010, 12:37 PM

You think high school is a daycare? Wait until you get into management in business, and your job is to babysit the children that work for you. That's why I got right back out again.

Old 04-29-2010, 12:57 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,626,992 times
Why are so many people lazy in America? Because these days, that's what they've been taught since childhood. If you aren't being pacified by television, then the internet is taking care of you. It's all over the media and impossible to avoid--everyone has an excuse for everything, and nobody assumes responsibility for their actions unless forced to.

What's surprising is that there are still people in this country who aren't lazy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates