Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 09:19 PM

25,852 posts, read 18,882,275 times

Advertisements

The people picking the tomatoes for your garden party tonight are not lazy. The people bucking the logs to make the lumber to build your McMansions are not lazy. The people mining the coal to keep your ass warm in the winter and ensure your big-screen TV is powered are not lazy. The people working on the oil rigs to keep your Hummer fuelled up are not lazy. The people working 14 hour shifts to sew your $1000 five piece are not lazy. The people wandering around in the heat and cold all day to keep track of your future t-bone steaks are not lazy.

On the other hand, the people pecking on their computers on CD forums, sitting in their air-conditioned offices, practically in a vegetative state, really have no business complaining about how lazy everyone else is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2010, 09:22 PM

4,272 posts, read 3,791,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tough Questions View Post
I teach at a college in the evening and so many students are lazy and will do the absolute minimum to pass. During the day I work as a manager at a very good company and we are constantly having trouble with lazy employees who lack creativity, skills and drive.
Maybe you are just not very inspiring.

Sorry for being so blunt.

Of course, people will go through the motions if they aren't interested in their work; so, if that's the case then talented leadership is required to lead these people.

"geofra" rule #342.3: If people appear lazy; really, they just don't care, and they are in the wrong line of work.

Old 04-22-2010, 09:46 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,645,031 times
Quote:
we've been taught to do what we're told and nothing more, so we grow to be lazy.
Well, in a lot of occupations, if you work harder than you must, it just means that your boss will get a faster promotion at your expense.

Old 04-22-2010, 10:12 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,422,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by semperarmati View Post
You get what you put up with, and you get in spades what you are willing to squander the treasure of others on. We have so many lazy people, because we subsidize their laziness. Welfare, union protectionism and contracts etc.

Old 04-23-2010, 04:02 AM

1,188 posts, read 2,322,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tough Questions View Post
The media and politicians are always pandering and telling us that Americans are the hardest working people in the world. Yes, some Americans are very hard working and there are lots of impressive people in our country. But in general I find most people I meet to be very lazy. In fact I come in contact with more lazy people all the time. I teach at a college in the evening and so many students are lazy and will do the absolute minimum to pass. During the day I work as a manager at a very good company and we are constantly having trouble with lazy employees who lack creativity, skills and drive.
Question I would have is...why are you putting up with it? You are enabling it. If you are a teacher, grade them appropriately for the work (or lack thereof) that is actually done. Maybe you do that. I hope so. I hope that they get the grade they deserve. As a manager...why is it that people can't be fired for not being productive nowadays? I see it all the time...the lazyass people ride the tide and others are picking up the slack for them. "Merit" raise time comes around and those loafing freeloaders get the same percentage as the individuals who are having to take up their slack...Someone please tell me...WHY IS THIS HAPPENING? WHY ARE WE ENABLING THEIR BEHAVIOR? WHY AREN'T THEY GETTING FIRED? I remember a time when if you showed up late all the time...you were fired. Not anymore! If you didn't show productivity, you were spoken to..written up and all the up to suspension or being fired for not doing the job you were hired to do. Nowadays...just as you...there are complaints, but why are they being retained???? There are LOTS of unemployed out there who would LOVE to have a job. Why can't managers do their job and fire them? Why aren't Managers being allowed to do their jobs???

Old 04-23-2010, 04:49 AM

23,238 posts, read 29,085,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
I am extremely lazy.
I refuse to accept that. Lazy = lack of motivation.

The work I've had that I really enjoyed, threw my whole heart and soul into it, I had an abundant supply of energy.

Put myself into a job I don't enjoy doing, I get lazy. If I detest what I'm doing, very lazy.

Depression can also play a factor, it saps you of energy. When depressed, what happened to my energy level?

Old 04-23-2010, 05:52 AM

128 posts, read 403,723 times
You are right, maybe it is me and I am just plain boring in class and the students are just putting in their time. Trouble is I can not fail them because the school administrators say if they show up for class they get the certificate. So they just put in their time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geofra View Post
Maybe you are just not very inspiring.

Sorry for being so blunt.

Of course, people will go through the motions if they aren't interested in their work; so, if that's the case then talented leadership is required to lead these people.

"geofra" rule #342.3: If people appear lazy; really, they just don't care, and they are in the wrong line of work.

Old 04-23-2010, 08:04 AM

1,346 posts, read 3,077,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
The people picking the tomatoes for your garden party tonight are not lazy. The people bucking the logs to make the lumber to build your McMansions are not lazy. The people mining the coal to keep your ass warm in the winter and ensure your big-screen TV is powered are not lazy. The people working on the oil rigs to keep your Hummer fuelled up are not lazy. The people working 14 hour shifts to sew your $1000 five piece are not lazy. The people wandering around in the heat and cold all day to keep track of your future t-bone steaks are not lazy.

On the other hand, the people pecking on their computers on CD forums, sitting in their air-conditioned offices, practically in a vegetative state, really have no business complaining about how lazy everyone else is.
It struck me as I read this post, HOW MANY of these "people" you refer to who are such hard workers are actually quote/unquote Americans? Hmmmmmm.....or maybe that was your whole point?

Old 04-23-2010, 08:09 AM

1,346 posts, read 3,077,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deef1 View Post
Someone please tell me...WHY IS THIS HAPPENING? WHY ARE WE ENABLING THEIR BEHAVIOR? WHY AREN'T THEY GETTING FIRED? I remember a time when if you showed up late all the time...you were fired. Not anymore! If you didn't show productivity, you were spoken to..written up and all the up to suspension or being fired for not doing the job you were hired to do. Nowadays...just as you...there are complaints, but why are they being retained???? There are LOTS of unemployed out there who would LOVE to have a job. Why can't managers do their job and fire them? Why aren't Managers being allowed to do their jobs???
I think it's because everyone is sue-crazy. And so people are afraid to take a stand on anything anymore for fear of a lawsuit.

Old 04-23-2010, 08:22 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,924,900 times
Bascially because it is possible to survive without doing much now days. There is a sense of entitlement but many work very hard now days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates