Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2010, 07:04 PM

3,440 posts, read 8,051,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
. Mental exercise is NOT work.
It is to me. When I spend a few hours thinking deeply while reading a book, after I'm done, I'm mentally tired. Granted, I don't FEEL tired but I'm still tired.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2010, 12:42 AM

221 posts, read 365,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tough Questions View Post
The media and politicians are always pandering and telling us that Americans are the hardest working people in the world. Yes, some Americans are very hard working and there are lots of impressive people in our country. But in general I find most people I meet to be very lazy. In fact I come in contact with more lazy people all the time. I teach at a college in the evening and so many students are lazy and will do the absolute minimum to pass. During the day I work as a manager at a very good company and we are constantly having trouble with lazy employees who lack creativity, skills and drive.

Do you believe that Americans of all ages are becoming lazy and are Americans still the hardest working people in the world?
Could it be because the see people at the top doing what looks like nothing and are gearing down to equalize the equity?

Consider that many board members make "bazillions" and yet have the time to serve on several corporate boards.

The average working person couldn't hold down several instances of their job.

Old 04-28-2010, 03:19 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,738,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphous01 View Post
It is to me. When I spend a few hours thinking deeply while reading a book, after I'm done, I'm mentally tired. Granted, I don't FEEL tired but I'm still tired.
Guess it depends on the book--some have been so boring that they've put me to sleep.

But physical exertion always gets my blood pumping again, and would keep me from falling asleep, in a way that doing something that doesn't require any energy output from me doesn't do. Thinking is EASY--I got straight A's in college--how hard can it be to parrot back the same information you read or heard weeks later? Not hard at all!

Old 04-28-2010, 04:42 AM

1,188 posts, read 2,325,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphous01 View Post
I don't classify simply reading as exercising ones brain, that is just simply USING the brain. That is the concentration that it takes to retain what you read is using the brain. (Some never comprehend anything). I don't know..hmm.. exercising ones brain with reading skills, it would have to be more like you have an hour to read two technical journals and be prepared to speak on them with fluency...that might be more like "exercise" for reading.

Old 04-28-2010, 04:49 AM

How about this, Deef?

I offered my business law professor a deal. If I could pass his final exam with an A, then I wouldn't have to sit through his class, and I'd receive credit for taking the class. He was the only professor who accepted the proffered deal. I sat in a total of ONE class...the one I took the exam in.

Old 04-28-2010, 03:44 PM

Quote:
How about this, Deef?

I offered my business law professor a deal. If I could pass his final exam with an A, then I wouldn't have to sit through his class, and I'd receive credit for taking the class. He was the only professor who accepted the proffered deal. I sat in a total of ONE class...the one I took the exam in.
TKramar you are proving the thread true...laziness based on wanting to escape valuable lessons and discussions in critical courses being missed simply for subject matter that is condensed to an exam is not impressive in the least. That is not something to brag about on a site that is discussing laziness. One would question your honesty with just an inflated ego that you must brag about it. There are SO many things to learn by sitting in on lecture/discussions of classes that are above and beyond an exam. I wouldn't want you as my business lawyer if you missed all the discussion and just passed an exam. This site surprises me at how many people are legends in their own mind. Seriously.

Old 04-28-2010, 03:53 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,187,260 times
Deef, if you needed a lawyer, would you rather have one who sat through all the lectures but never passed an exam, or one who passed the exams but never sat in on a lecture?

Old 04-28-2010, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deef1 View Post
TKramar you are proving the thread true...laziness based on wanting to escape valuable lessons and discussions in critical courses being missed simply for subject matter that is condensed to an exam is not impressive in the least. That is not something to brag about on a site that is discussing laziness. One would question your honesty with just an inflated ego that you must brag about it. There are SO many things to learn by sitting in on lecture/discussions of classes that are above and beyond an exam. I wouldn't want you as my business lawyer if you missed all the discussion and just passed an exam. This site surprises me at how many people are legends in their own mind. Seriously.
If I took the time to KNOW the material, then what is the need to waste time on something I already know? Wouldn't my time be better spent acquiring knowledge I did NOT have?

Old 04-28-2010, 04:07 PM

Quote:
If I took the time to KNOW the material, then what is the need to waste time on something I already know? Wouldn't my time be better spent acquiring knowledge I did NOT have?
You missed the point entirely! The exam is a condensed version of points. On the contrary, lectures and discussion get to the meat of the highlights. You missed the "meat" simply because you thought so highly of yourself that you decided not to participate. If you KNEW so much...then YOUR discussion would have benefited others in the class. You were too lazy to participate, that is the way "I" take it IMO, If you were so smart, why go to school at all? Just go take the bar exam. That's what you are basically saying.
Again, I wouldn't hire you for my attorney with that attitude.

Old 04-28-2010, 04:20 PM

It is not my responsibility to provide others with an education. Even on the job. They either know it or they don't. They may learn by trial and error.

As far as simply "taking the bar exam", I wasn't seeking a degree in law.

It was a business management degree. Personally, I don't see a need for such a degree--you can either do it, or you can't. You don't need someone else's opinion of the information you need to have to become a manager.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates