Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 02:56 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,692,234 times

Advertisements

CAUTION: THIS VIDEO MAY CAUSE YOU TO FEEL BAD ABOUT YOUR VICTIM STATUS. BEWARE

YouTube - Ephren Taylor City Capital CEO on CNBC's Big Idea

Old 05-25-2010, 03:13 PM

2,422 posts, read 2,278,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
1. Because we have had no one to blame but ourselves, and eventually you get tired of doing that.

2. Those are YOUR WORDS - nobody else's. So why not STOP LYING about it?

3. Who, but you, is saying there is anything MORE RIGHT with WHITES?

4. WRONG. It is YOU who keeps saying that blacks are inferior to whites. Nobody else.

5. Refer to answer #1.
Watch it, he's trying to trick you in to saying something.

Old 05-25-2010, 03:14 PM

731 posts, read 1,579,412 times
Now, give me a chance here... Sometimes people confuse racism and poverty. I believe most white people think of black people, in general, as poverty stricken. I remember the media would talk about Harlem as a black poverty area. After the great depression, there were lots of people in poverty, but black people were noted for poverty.
I do believe that many white people think that black people are inferior, but is it due to the years of poverty? There are so many more white people in America, so poverty is not as obvious in whites as it is with blacks.
Furthermore, I think the media is to blame for peoples feelings, years and years of black people portraying household help, nannies, and maids has created a mindset of that should be the norm in society. And, almost all tv is about crime, terrorism...anything negative, so when black gang information is televised, then--there you are--blacks are all gang. (that is just an example).

I don't know, just wanted to say I think its an economic issue, and history still affects our feelings and thoughts.

Old 05-25-2010, 03:34 PM

968 posts, read 2,624,028 times
I live in texas and i know several people who are racist (they live in rural towns and are on the outer boundaries of my parents church) when i got curious about why they were racist: they explained that black people blame the whites for all of their problems. they will hate anyone who is white because of slavery (even if you don't have ties to slave owners) and if you try to convince them that you yourself are not a racist, they will try to convince you that you are.

i don't spend time around those people (or their children who my age) because what they said is simply not true.

Indentured Servant you have said:

If people respond to this at all...it will probably be a person attack to obfuscate and misdirect.

Do you have pictures of Hitler on your bedroom wall?

You are one of the most uninformed people I know...and that is why you are such a racist

The goal of Omaha and Noexcuses is to avoid being exposed as racist

your stealth racism if far more dangerous.

I think he just has weiner envy. Explains a lot of his issues with black folks.

nay says you because you are a white supremist.

You have no shame or dignity.

Wow Indentured Servant, after reading all of your posts I have no respect for you because you are everything the racists described to me.

You have had previous threads closed for blatant attacks on white people, and you have never actually had a successful FORMAL debate.

You deal in the hypothetical and then attack the people who disagree with you using the above attacks.

You should be banned for flaming, trolling, baiting and racism against whites.

Old 05-25-2010, 03:44 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,692,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogdad View Post
CAUTION: THIS VIDEO MAY CAUSE YOU TO FEEL BAD ABOUT YOUR VICTIM STATUS. BEWARE

Just goes to show. Stop whining and get to work and look what happens.

I'll bet his parents didn't wallow in self pity and blame anybody for anything.

Old 05-25-2010, 03:48 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,671,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinynot View Post
Now, give me a chance here... Sometimes people confuse racism and poverty. I believe most white people think of black people, in general, as poverty stricken. I remember the media would talk about Harlem as a black poverty area. After the great depression, there were lots of people in poverty, but black people were noted for poverty.
I do believe that many white people think that black people are inferior, but is it due to the years of poverty? There are so many more white people in America, so poverty is not as obvious in whites as it is with blacks.
Furthermore, I think the media is to blame for peoples feelings, years and years of black people portraying household help, nannies, and maids has created a mindset of that should be the norm in society. And, almost all tv is about crime, terrorism...anything negative, so when black gang information is televised, then--there you are--blacks are all gang. (that is just an example).

I don't know, just wanted to say I think its an economic issue, and history still affects our feelings and thoughts.
I'm sure that there are some white people who believe black people are inferior. There are also Japanese people who feel Chinese people are inferior. There are Muslims who feel Jews are inferior, and there are Dominicans who feel Haitians are inferior. Nobody has a corner on that market.

Today in the United States, there are two distinctly different black cultures. One is the culture of opportunity and success. The other is the culture of self-perpetuating failure and poverty. Blacks, on an individual and family level, have to intentionally decide which culture they want to embrace.

Old 05-25-2010, 03:50 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,692,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
I just realized that nobody addressed the OP of why the argument is or is not valid. ?
I think it was answered many times over, and here's mine:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoExcuses View Post
I'm not afraid of your pitiful challenge.

Poverty and crime works for them.

As much as I despise Dr. Phil, he asked someone 'How's that working for you?' The message was, if something isn't working for you, change it so you get a different outcome. Don't continually do the same thing over and over and think the result will change.

If your desire is for crime to diminish within the black population, stop using the same old excuses (oppression and slavery) and teach responsibility to the youngsters.

My guess is if you teach the young responsibility and accountability instead of making excuses, crime, poverty and unemployment would drop.

Old 05-25-2010, 04:58 PM

1,203 posts, read 1,982,516 times
OP.
What were the parameters of the study that you obtained your statistics from?
That may possibly give a more factual portrayal and enable people to delve a little deeper into the question.
What were the demographics of the target sample?

Was it taken in places with balanced or close to balanced ethnic variety or in areas which have a predominance of a certain ethnicity.

Old 05-25-2010, 04:59 PM

1,203 posts, read 1,982,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoExcuses View Post
I'm not afraid of your pitiful challenge.

Poverty and crime works for them.

As much as I despise Dr. Phil, he asked someone 'How's that working for you?' The message was, if something isn't working for you, change it so you get a different outcome. Don't continually do the same thing over and over and think the result will change.

If your desire is for crime to diminish within the black population, stop using the same old excuses (oppression and slavery) and teach responsibility to the youngsters.

My guess is if you teach the young responsibility and accountability instead of making excuses, crime, poverty and unemployment would drop.
The bold on a universal scale.

Old 05-25-2010, 05:46 PM

731 posts, read 1,579,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
I'm sure that there are some white people who believe black people are inferior. There are also Japanese people who feel Chinese people are inferior. There are Muslims who feel Jews are inferior, and there are Dominicans who feel Haitians are inferior. Nobody has a corner on that market.

Today in the United States, there are two distinctly different black cultures. One is the culture of opportunity and success. The other is the culture of self-perpetuating failure and poverty. Blacks, on an individual and family level, have to intentionally decide which culture they want to embrace.
Of course, I agree that no one has a corner on the market. Iraq (Arabic) and Iran (Persian) share Islam, but have different cultural and ethnic heritage their hate mongering goes back to Hammurabi. Again, history plays a factor.
Doesn't everyone have to intentionally decide which culture they want to embrace? People are Successful or Not Successful in all walks of life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates