Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2010, 11:52 AM

17 posts, read 18,766 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
I would like to thank you for presenting a truly intellectually stimulating, well thought out contribution to this discussion. It’s quite refreshing to say the least.

I would also like to ask you a personal question. Was your personal loneliness escaped through reading and school work? When people sometimes turn introverted they escape into the world of books. I know of people who escaped into books and it paid off for them intellectually and educationally. Sometimes the worst thing that can happen to you in a bad environment is learning to be happy and content in it, if not with it.

Yes absolutely. My escape routes typically were books. I know without a doubt that my books provoked my mind to reaching greater intellectual heights and stretched my imagination. I have actually reached an idea for a non-fiction, self-help book using this information. The idea would be to help people who are inclined to escape their situation face it and overcome it. For example, if your escape is reading books, you might want to consider some creative outlet like writing books, because you cannot read many books without getting creative ideas. If you spend a lot of time doing something, you are bound to be capable in the field.

In school, I found that I did best with essays, because my vocabulary and ability to articulate- which I developed from reading- were very significant.

Last edited by Taylor Dukes; 05-25-2010 at 11:53 AM.. Reason: Revision

Old 05-25-2010, 11:52 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,205,540 times
Quote:
Define racism and map it to things that I have said that fits the FORMAL defintion.
Respond to my post instead of resorting to whatever you can say to try and convince me that racism is the root of all your problems.

Old 05-25-2010, 11:55 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,707,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Respond to my post instead of resorting to whatever you can say to try and convince me that racism is the root of all your problems.
I did respond to your post....did you not see me quote it?

I can guarantee you that you can not DEMONSTRAT that claim by quoting anything I said. I dare you! Do it! You can't.....you made it up. Its like Omaha's "Almost All black High School" lie/embellishment. When you don't have a valid argument....you make stuff up and pretend that its my position and it never was. In fact, I even stated in the OP that a percent of black problems are SELF CREATED.... So stop being a liar!

Old 05-25-2010, 11:57 AM

Quote:
I did respond to your post....did you not see me quote it?
You didn't respond to the content, you ignored what I said completely and threw out a challenge that could have been a response to any post on this thread.

You want my honest opinion?

People holding the kind of beliefs that you do is the cause of whatever racial tension is left in America. It is a self-fulfilling prophecy. As long as you are having me look things up, please look up that term. Again: Self-fulfilling prophecy.

Old 05-25-2010, 12:01 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,678,490 times
Quote:
Jews had a homeland created for them and recieve billions each year from foreign governments, such as ours. They also support each other. They will go out their way to support a Jewish business. They have Jewish Schools...they teach their Jewish history....they NEVER let others forget the holocaust....they stick together and lobby for what they want and they don't reside in the lands of their oppressors.
So you have it worse than the Jews. How convenient.

By the way, American blacks get hundreds of millions of dollars from our government every year. Of course, that's different isn't it?

Old 05-25-2010, 12:02 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,707,171 times
Quote:
You didn't respond to the content, you ignored what I said completely and threw out a challenge that could have been a response to any post on this thread.

You want my honest opinion?

People holding the kind of beliefs that you do is the cause of whatever racial tension is left in America. It is a self-fulfilling prophecy. As long as you are having me look things up, please look up that term. Again: Self-fulfilling prophecy.
Look it up....I just employed it in a post about the government. Thats likely were you read it. The self fullfilling prophecy is that white people, for centuries, believed that blacks were inferior. There belief led them to treat black people differently to the degree that it manifested inferior statistical behavior in blacks which in turn white could then say "See.....I told you".

Old 05-25-2010, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Look it up....I just employed it in a post about the government. Thats likely were you read it. The self fullfilling prophecy is that white people, for centuries, believed that blacks were inferior. There belief led them to treat black people differently to the degree that it manifested inferior statistical behavior in blacks which in turn white could then say "See.....I told you".
Oh good gawd.

And still even now, after having the racist crap kicked out of you in every thread for the past week, you INSIST that EVERYTHING wrong with blacks is somehow the fault of whites.

You are absolutely unbelievable! You are a disgrace to blacks everywhere!

Old 05-25-2010, 12:07 PM

Quote:
You are speaking of the past, this is 2010. Not 1960. Wake up and realize that fact.

I never said racism was not a problem. If we were having this conversation 50 years ago you would be correct. This conversation, however, is NOT taking place 50 years ago.

TODAY, the victim mentality of minorities perpetuates racism to a great degree. Personally, I don't care what race a person is, I will hang out with them if they are cool, I will hire them if they are a good worker, I will trust them if they are trustworthy. Race does not ever enter the picture, and I am as white as a person can be.

If a minority applies for a job and doesn't get it because they are not the most qualified, sometimes they cry racism. That is a victim mentality and has no place in modern society.

Old 05-25-2010, 12:10 PM

17 posts, read 18,766 times
Quote:
Indentured Servant - I say this knowing how dangerous it is to make absolute statements.

You are the most racist person I have met on this forum in the three years I have been posting here.

I hope one day you can get over your personal issues and realize race is a non-issue in modern society.

I am half Irish and half Slovakian. Irish-Americans were brought over as slaves before African-Americans. Slovakians were put to work in mining towns where the only place to buy anything was a company store. The company store priced everything so the employees always owed the company money. As long as they owed the company money, they had to keep working in the mines, or be arrested for theft. The company also owned every house in the town, and as long as you worked for the mine you had to live in the company-owned housing. This is something my grandfather and great-grandfather had to endure after immigrating to America. My grandfather, when he was alive, commonly associated his time working in the mines to what he heard African slaves went through.

My point is this - please stop using race as an excuse. Other than the upper European class (that none of my ancestors were a part of!), many, many Americans had it bad. African-Americans had it bad for a long time. I, as an American am ashamed at my country's history in terms of race. Today, however, race is simply not a problem. Everyone has the same opportunities, regardless of race. If someone is not succeeding, it is not a racial issue any more.
Although obviously with the labor condition there are similar circumstances to African American slaves, the differences are significant. The Irish developed a literal escape route- political activism- to combat their treatment. That translates to a mentality which leads you to believe you can overcome. The African American slave society developed mental escape routes. They used song and dance. I believe this is why you now see African Americans who really enjoy music, and who are very talented dancers. But that is beside the point. The point is their escape route sparked a mentality of subconsciously retreating into music and religion to 'wait out' their problems.

When the slaves became free, that didn't translate to immediate success because people didn't normally make a lot of money dancing or making music.

But the Irish were able to be skilled workers. And they were able to protect their interest with unions. The attitude of 'waiting out their problems' never existed for them. It was an attitude of 'when things go bad, I can change them.'

It is important that this does not become an excuse. I do not intend it to be. I merely intended it to be considered as a reason things are the way they are. It doesn't mean that people do have some responsibility or blame for what they do in life.

Old 05-25-2010, 12:11 PM

Quote:
You are speaking of the past, this is 2010. Not 1960. Wake up and realize that fact.

I never said racism was not a problem. If we were having this conversation 50 years ago you would be correct. This conversation, however, is NOT taking place 50 years ago.

TODAY, the victim mentality of minorities perpetuates racism to a great degree. Personally, I don't care what race a person is, I will hang out with them if they are cool, I will hire them if they are a good worker, I will trust them if they are trustworthy. Race does not ever enter the picture, and I am as white as a person can be.

If a minority applies for a job and doesn't get it because they are not the most qualified, sometimes they cry racism. That is a victim mentality and has no place in modern society.
Actually, it's not all minorities. In fact, it's really only one. And even then, it's a subsection of one minority group.

Most blacks are smart enough to have turned their backs on the victim & excuse-making mentality, and have decided to better themselves. Others, such as I.S. - and Al Sharpton & his ilk - are determined to be victims.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates