Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2014, 07:14 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,738,077 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
You'd be that guy with plywood and 2*4's strapped to their roof endangering everyone?

Everyone's needs do not fit into a small narrow box that are your own. I'm getting ready to put in a small sidewalk, no sense calling a concrete truck because it's very doable with my small concrete mixer and a load or two of gravel and sand from the quarry that I'll get with the pickup. Are you going to stack a few hundred pounds in your sedan and make many trips to do that?

I know what you're going to do, you're going to call someone and hopefully find someone to take on a small job. You'll pay an outrageous price for potentially sub standard work. I don;t have to do that because I have a truck. It's what makes the world go round and just becsue soccer mom is driving some giant vehicle doesn't mean I should be penalized for it.

I've seen this a dozen times when lived in Cali!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2014, 07:14 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,389,678 times
Default Wtf?

Quote:
You'd be that guy with plywood and 2*4's strapped to their roof endangering everyone?

Everyone's needs do not fit into a small narrow box that are your own. I'm getting ready to put in a small sidewalk, no sense calling a concrete truck because it's very doable with my small concrete mixer and a load or two of gravel and sand from the quarry that I'll get with the pickup. Are you going to stack a few hundred pounds in your sedan and make many trips to do that?

I know what you're going to do, you're going to call someone and hopefully find someone to take on a small job. You'll pay an outrageous price for potentially sub standard work. I don;t have to do that because I have a truck. It's what makes the world go round and just becsue soccer mom is driving some giant vehicle doesn't mean I should be penalized for it.
Seriously? Did you even bother reading my post? It's only four sentences. Go ahead and try again. I'll wait.

I don't know what the hell crawled up your ass, but go projectile vomit this nonsense all over somebody else.

Last edited by randomparent; 05-09-2014 at 07:27 AM..

Old 05-09-2014, 09:19 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,359,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapie9969 View Post
Every where i look,people seem to drive pick up trucks. Ive used them over the years,hard on gas and terrible in the snow. Wouldn't we save a lot of oil and clean up the air a bunch,if trucks were all considered commercial vehicles? To discourage their use. And either have diesel engines or run on Natural gas,set up,right from the manufacturer.
Using synthetic oil and limiting the amount of oil changes to twice a year.(i feel this is very easy and doable) The addition of a bypass filter would help this.
Offer tax incentives to people. So they would relocate closer to where they work. Sure is easier on a person if their commute is only a few miles.
Good ideas but for most Americans your ideas of environmental frugality in life are just fodder for ridicule, Most people just arent interested in your concept of saving anything and will think you are some kind of tree hugging liberal communist for merely suggesting that we try to save our natural resources.Build more pipelines to feed us evermore oil seems to be the current mantra of the day.

Old 05-09-2014, 10:01 AM

4,715 posts, read 10,530,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
I've never had much trouble transporting things from a home improvement store in my sedan. The one time in I needed something really large that would not fit in my car, I rented one of their trucks for an hour. That being said, it's no skin off my nose if you want to own a pick-up truck. Be my guest.
When I didn't have my truck I ended up having to do the same thing. It is just a pain though, because you make an extra trip back and forth and you are in a hurry because you only get 75 minutes... Planning is crucial, I bought gas ahead of time, quicker to dump fuel in from a fuel can at my house then stop and pump gas at a gas station. Knowing what you are getting and where you are unloading is crucial too... Reserving a truck ahead of time is needed to, as a lot of times they didn't have any... So I used to do what you do.

Whereas none of this is an issue when you own one. When the need to buy another piece of lumber, dry wall, plywood, comes up, I jump in mine drive to the store and come back. It can even stay in the back until the moment it is needed later on.

The desire to hurry back to avoid overtime fees with the truck is dangerous too. And just think, some people that need to rent a Home Depot truck are not skilled at driving trucks. And now you got someone speeding in one, not realizing they don't handle and stop like a car.

Old 05-09-2014, 10:13 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,389,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakster View Post
When I didn't have my truck I ended up having to do the same thing. It is just a pain though, because you make an extra trip back and forth and you are in a hurry because you only get 75 minutes... Planning is crucial, I bought gas ahead of time, quicker to dump fuel in from a fuel can at my house then stop and pump gas at a gas station. Knowing what you are getting and where you are unloading is crucial too... Reserving a truck ahead of time is needed to, as a lot of times they didn't have any... So I used to do what you do.

Whereas none of this is an issue when you own one. When the need to buy another piece of lumber, dry wall, plywood, comes up, I jump in mine drive to the store and come back. It can even stay in the back until the moment it is needed later on.

The desire to hurry back to avoid overtime fees with the truck is dangerous too. And just think, some people that need to rent a Home Depot truck are not skilled at driving trucks. And now you got someone speeding in one, not realizing they don't handle and stop like a car.
It helps that I seriously live less than five minutes from a big box home improvement store with truck rentals. I don't need to own a truck. Heck, my spouse and I share a car and rent an extra one only when the need arises, which isn't often.

This whole argument seems silly. If somebody wants a truck, I'm not going to stand in their way; however, I'll be damned if I stand by meekly and accept the asinine and completely unwarranted personal attack hurled my way in an earlier post. (To be clear, I understand that you did not write it.)

Last edited by randomparent; 05-09-2014 at 10:27 AM..

Old 05-09-2014, 01:21 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,530,316 times
I respect the way you do things as well. I don't preach that my way is the best way either. Just what I have found works out for us. And glad you didn't take my post as an attack.

FWIW, I tried doing the one car thing and it sorta worked until we had kids... And then we tried two cars and found myself always wanting/wishing I had a truck. Even tried a SUV that could pull a trailer, but I really don't like pulling a trailer around either. The hassle of hooking it up, driving with it, parking. It needs tires and tags renewed. Then either the metal rusted or the wood rotted (or both). Made the house look run down...

Lately, even on our every once in a while weekend trips, unless there is a compelling reason to take the 18 mpg diesel behemoth truck, we just take the 40mpg car. ow when we do our summer driving, there is a compelling reason to take the truck...

Old 05-09-2014, 02:35 PM

635 posts, read 785,566 times
I use a small utility trailer to haul things. Lots of stuff fits in my van or i can put it on the roof. I just use common sense and strap it down and stop every so many miles and check the load.
I drove a big rig for years,so the seeing pickups wreck at the first hint of snow is something i have seen all over the country.
Unless you haul a big trailer,often. A pickup isn't very smart(my opinion) people have some very strange love affair with trucks.At least with a van you can lock stuff up,out of sight. Many people own trucks in my small town,all shiny with no scratches on.The one's that really bother me are the ones that are lowered or don't even have a hitch on the back.They might as well buy a car. them.Driving on the same roads i drive on,except im getting about twice the MPG,and putting less crap in the air.Maybe its some kind of self esteem thing,trying to make up for a lack of something.
The idea of driving a car that get's decent MPG and having a truck for hauling stuff to the lake isn't bad. You could just get an aluminum boat and haul it with about anything.
Many of my ideas are about saving money and reducing the amount of crap pumped out people's tailpipe. Im not a big green freak or a kid.
A tax credit of some kind isn't totally insane,and i guess i wasn't considering big city's,i would consider not owning a car there.Using public transit and walking would be faster.
Of course it's a kind of free country. If you want to save money and reduce our reliance on foreign oil and save some money? Help keep the air clean.Consider alternatives.

Old 05-12-2014, 06:42 PM

1,707 posts, read 2,986,333 times
For short trips, look into riding a bicycle. If mass transit is available in your area, look into it as well.

Old 05-13-2014, 12:51 PM

1,543 posts, read 2,960,566 times
Quote:

Great idea! Trade in my economical sedan for a costly truck so I can have the pleasure of spending my spare time putting a sidewalk in (which I'll no longer be able to afford to pay somebody to do).

Old 05-13-2014, 03:10 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,215,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
I've never had much trouble transporting things from a home improvement store in my sedan. The one time in I needed something really large that would not fit in my car, I rented one of their trucks for an hour. That being said, it's no skin off my nose if you want to own a pick-up truck. Be my guest.
Why thank you for your generous offer...

For you that scenario is fine, for many others it's a ludicrous idea...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living