Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2014, 02:15 PM

635 posts, read 783,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
There was engineer I saw on TV discussing corrosion on cars and there was excellent quote from him that basically went "We can make a car last for 100's years but that doesn't help if you can't afford the car".

The concern I would have with lower weight vehicle is you need weight when pulling trailers for example. The less weight the vehicle is the more the trailer will push you around, doesn't matter how good the brakes or the suspension is.
That was about the Ford truck having aluminum. Would help MPG also. And honestly how often do people tow a lot of weight.My posts mention that most people really dont need a truck,Its like hunting rabbits with a machine gun. If its a work truck than its a commercial vehicle and could be written off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2014, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
I like motorcycles. Why isn't everyone forced to drive a motorcycle. How many times do you see people driving big luxury cars and they are the only one in the vehicle. Waste Waste Waste. Moderator cut: Instigating
Driving in the snow kills the motor cycle idea. Many luxury cars get about twice the MPG of trucks.

Old 05-23-2014, 09:40 AM

4,715 posts, read 10,517,187 times
Here's an idea for saving oil.

First fundamentally new lubricant in decades created from liquid crystals

Make lubricants from something other than OIL....

Old 05-23-2014, 05:56 PM

I once read a book which showed an engine block made of resin and fused with some sort of silicon.It used ceramic pistons and showed no engine wear.
My father was involved with testing Cadillac Northstar engines.They used synthetic oil and ran for 200.000 miles than tore the engine down and the engines showed almost no wear.(mobil one)

Old 05-23-2014, 06:40 PM

IMHO - and just my .02 from just personal experiences. I don't have any independent backup to this.

You don't hear of many catastrophic engine failures any more. Really, the parts around the motor fail more than the actual engine does. Or the rest of the car falls apart and its scrapped. I wish I had actual figures and could prove it. Only point I can make is that a lot of auto manufacturers warranty the engine up to 100k miles and some dealers even throw in longer and up to lifetime warranties on the engine itself.

If there is an engine failure it usually secondary to another part failing - as in the oil pump or a valve breaking off or bad fuel (especially in today's diesel motors).

An ICE motor that doesn't use oil would indeed be intriguing. I don't have to change the oil on the electric motor part of our electric car either though. I still have to change the oil on the iCE motor though.

Old 05-23-2014, 07:58 PM

208 posts, read 330,665 times
Excellent factual post Dakster.

Old 05-28-2014, 03:50 PM

15,945 posts, read 12,279,929 times
idea for saving gas... get rid of these safety cans and go back to the old fashioned ones with the plastic cap and vent pipe. I've wasted and know people who waste more gas spilling it out onto the ground from these ridiculous cans with the convoluted safety mechanisms that ultimately break forcing you to replace the gas can or just throw it away out of frustration, which also wastes plastic... although I agree we should have safety regulations in place, I swear they sometimes create regulations to solve nonexistent problems.

Old gas cans would often be used for 10 years or more until the cap broke off and someone lost the cap.

Remember these? There was nothing wrong with them. I'm all in favor of progress, but the new cans are stupidity in disguise.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chilton-2-Ga...item3a8b9f2825

Old 05-28-2014, 07:35 PM

I am keeping my old school plastic gas cans until they die because of the new EPA spouts. Those new ones are a solution looking for a problem.

Although - on youtube there is a video on how to modify them to work like the old style ones with the vent hole in the handle. They even tell you where to buy the caps for the vent hole. I actually need to drill a small hole in the handle and put the caps on mine. I have the vent pipe inside the spout and it just takes FOREVER to empty the 5-gal out. If I am in a hurry I use a large funnel and no spout.

Old 05-29-2014, 03:16 AM

2,004 posts, read 3,415,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapie9969 View Post
Every where i look,people seem to drive pick up trucks. Ive used them over the years,hard on gas and terrible in the snow. Wouldn't we save a lot of oil and clean up the air a bunch,if trucks were all considered commercial vehicles? To discourage their use. And either have diesel engines or run on Natural gas,set up,right from the manufacturer.
Using synthetic oil and limiting the amount of oil changes to twice a year.(i feel this is very easy and doable) The addition of a bypass filter would help this.
Offer tax incentives to people. So they would relocate closer to where they work. Sure is easier on a person if their commute is only a few miles.
If you really want to save on oil, don't use any of these products (144 of 6000 products).

A partial list of products made from Petroleum (144 of 6000 items)

[SIZE=3]One 42-gallon barrel of oil creates 19.4 gallons of gasoline. The rest (over half) is used to make things like:[/SIZE]

Solvents
Diesel fuel
Motor Oil
Bearing Grease
Ink
Floor Wax
Ballpoint Pens
Football Cleats
Upholstery
Sweaters
Boats
Insecticides
Bicycle Tires
Sports Car Bodies
Nail Polish
Fishing lures
Dresses
Tires
Golf Bags
Perfumes
Cassettes
Dishwasher parts
Tool Boxes
Shoe Polish
Motorcycle Helmet
Caulking
Petroleum Jelly
Transparent Tape
CD Player
Faucet Washers
Antiseptics
Clothesline
Curtains
Food Preservatives
Basketballs
Soap
Vitamin Capsules
Antihistamines
Purses
Shoes
Dashboards
Cortisone
Deodorant
Footballs
Putty
Dyes
Panty Hose
Refrigerant
Percolators
Life Jackets
Rubbing Alcohol
Linings
Skis
TV Cabinets
Shag Rugs
Electrician's Tape
Tool Racks
Car Battery Cases
Epoxy
Paint
Mops
Slacks
Insect Repellent
Oil Filters
Umbrellas
Yarn
Fertilizers
Hair Coloring
Roofing
Toilet Seats
Fishing Rods
Lipstick
Denture Adhesive
Linoleum
Ice Cube Trays
Synthetic Rubber
Speakers
Plastic Wood
Electric Blankets
Glycerin
Tennis Rackets
Rubber Cement
Fishing Boots
Dice
Nylon Rope
Candles
Trash Bags
House Paint
Water Pipes
Hand Lotion
Roller Skates
Surf Boards
Shampoo
Wheels
Paint Rollers
Shower Curtains
Guitar Strings
Luggage
Aspirin
Safety Glasses
Antifreeze
Football Helmets
Awnings
Eyeglasses
Clothes
Toothbrushes
Ice Chests
Footballs
Combs
CD's & DVD's
Paint Brushes
Detergents
Vaporizers
Balloons
Sun Glasses
Tents
Heart Valves
Crayons
Parachutes
Telephones
Enamel
Pillows
Dishes
Cameras
Anesthetics
Artificial Turf
Artificial limbs
Bandages
Dentures
Model Cars
Folding Doors
Hair Curlers
Cold cream
Movie film
Soft Contact lenses
Drinking Cups
Fan Belts
Car Enamel
Shaving Cream
Ammonia
Refrigerators
Golf Balls
Toothpaste
Gasoline

Americans consume petroleum products at a rate of three-and-a-half gallons of oil and more than
250 cubic feet of natural gas per day each! But, as shown here petroleum is not just used for fuel.

http://www.ranken-energy.com/Product...0Petroleum.htm

Old 05-29-2014, 07:05 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,359,835 times
Thank you for posting that list. I've seen it before, and it's eye-opening, isn't it? Lots of room for those of interested in conservation to make different choices. It's not just about the cars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living