Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2014, 08:22 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,765,227 times

Advertisements

Looks like the policy is burn it while you got it and find something else when the oil is gone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2014, 10:25 AM

15,945 posts, read 12,279,929 times
are we going to stop making all plastic items? Let's be realistic here. There is plenty of oil to go around for the moment, and I don't see that changing. I'd worry more about the pollution aspects.. the biggest polluters are recreational boat engines, lawn mowers, 2 stroke weed whackers, snowblowers, etc. I'd tackle the pollution aspect first before telling people we can't making anything out of petroleum products, because that will never happen.

Most of the biggest liberal types out there tend to be wealthy and have their gas guzzling vehicles. Many are politicians and use private jets that only have a couple passengers. Basically, we are not going to stop people from making items from petroleum.. I'd further tackle the highly polluting items first.

We could encourage corporations to make items that last rather than making cheap, chinese throwaway items. I've been using the same belt for 15 years.... that's what happens when you make a product with quality.. of course even then people will throw it away just because they are bored with it and want something new. Remember cash for clunkers? Big waste of perfectly good used cars, destroying the engines and creating lots of waste in the process.. takes a lot of resources to build a new car from scratch vs maintaining a used one. People cashed perfectly good fuel efficient cars in because they were older.. no other reason. I've been driving the same car 14 years... because I don't like wasting money on depreciating assets. It gets 25 MPG at 80MPH.

Old 05-29-2014, 10:25 AM

4,715 posts, read 10,517,187 times
Anything that has plastic in it, typically has been made with oil. The key is I bet the highest consumer of oil is the ICE of a vehicle.

IF you are into conserving oil, you start with what uses the most of it, first - and go from there, if needed.

And Gregw - That does seem to be the case.

Old 05-29-2014, 02:47 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,428,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
Remember cash for clunkers? <snip>. People cashed perfectly good fuel efficient cars in because they were older.. no other reason.
You're remembering that wrong. The cars that were accepted for credit had to be on the list of eligible cars, which were NOT fuel efficient. And the car the credit was to apply to had to be more fuel efficient, with the amount of the credit depending on the amount of improvement.

Quote:
I've been driving the same car 14 years... because I don't like wasting money on depreciating assets. It gets 25 MPG at 80MPH.
You're not that unusual. R.L. Polk reported last fall that the average age of currently registered American cars is 11.4 years.

Old 05-29-2014, 03:28 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,517,187 times
OpenD - That average though could be misleading. Because I know people that have classic cars in addition to their daily driver. It really skews that average. It takes many more 1-2 year old cars to average out those.

I don't dispute the fact that not everyone is driving a 1-4 year old car out there. But since it includes all registered cars it is skewed. As an example, my FIL has a 1972 Triumph that is registered, in addition to his 2011 Truck. On average he is driving a 22.5 year old car. And he has friends with REGISTERED cars that are much much older. A lot of them have and actually drive 1940's hot rods just not everyday and all year 'round.

I wonder how or if they took that into consideration. Or does it really not make that much of a difference?

Old 05-29-2014, 09:56 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,428,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakster View Post
OpenD - That average though could be misleading. Because I know people that have classic cars in addition to their daily driver. It really skews that average. It takes many more 1-2 year old cars to average out those.
Keep in mind that this is not R.L. Polk's first rodeo...

Your friends with classic cars are not typical, and that doesn't explain the stats. According to R.L. Polk's research, the main reason the average age of cars on the roads is going higher and higher is that people are holding onto their cars longer for financial reasons, rather than buying new cars. And that finding is well supported by the sluggish new car sales for years.

Quote:
The decline in new vehicle sales during the recession pushed the average vehicle age higher, as people kept their old cars running longer, according to Polk. The number of vehicles over a dozen years old is growing especially rapidly, the firm said.

This trend of cars growing older has been building for a long time. In 2002, the average vehicle was 9.6 years old. In 1995, it was 8.4 years.

Average U.S. car is 11.4 years old, a record high - Aug. 6, 2013

Old 05-29-2014, 10:04 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,359,835 times
My family's car is a 1999. Two reasons we have not yet bought a new vehicle: our current sedan is still is excellent working order, and the cost of buying a new car is ridiculous.

Old 05-29-2014, 11:06 PM

39,865 posts, read 26,492,827 times
Heck, just outlaw any 4 wheeled vehicles and make everyone drive motorcycles. My V-Strom gets better mileage than a Prius (plus it's a lot more fun and looks a lot better). Kinda sucks in the snow or for carrying anything much bigger than my lunch though.

Come to think of it though...the same can be said for a Prius.

Old 05-30-2014, 01:43 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,284,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slingshot View Post
If you really want to save on oil, don't use any of these products (144 of 6000 products).

A partial list of products made from Petroleum (144 of 6000 items)

[SIZE=3]One 42-gallon barrel of oil creates 19.4 gallons of gasoline. The rest (over half) is used to make things like:[/SIZE]

Solvents
Diesel fuel
Motor Oil
Bearing Grease
Ink
Floor Wax
Ballpoint Pens
Football Cleats
Upholstery
Sweaters
Boats
Insecticides
Bicycle Tires
Sports Car Bodies
Nail Polish
Fishing lures
Dresses
Tires
Golf Bags
Perfumes
Cassettes
Dishwasher parts
Tool Boxes
Shoe Polish
Motorcycle Helmet
Caulking
Petroleum Jelly
Transparent Tape
CD Player
Faucet Washers
Antiseptics
Clothesline
Curtains
Food Preservatives
Basketballs
Soap
Vitamin Capsules
Antihistamines
Purses
Shoes
Dashboards
Cortisone
Deodorant
Footballs
Putty
Dyes
Panty Hose
Refrigerant
Percolators
Life Jackets
Rubbing Alcohol
Linings
Skis
TV Cabinets
Shag Rugs
Electrician's Tape
Tool Racks
Car Battery Cases
Epoxy
Paint
Mops
Slacks
Insect Repellent
Oil Filters
Umbrellas
Yarn
Fertilizers
Hair Coloring
Roofing
Toilet Seats
Fishing Rods
Lipstick
Denture Adhesive
Linoleum
Ice Cube Trays
Synthetic Rubber
Speakers
Plastic Wood
Electric Blankets
Glycerin
Tennis Rackets
Rubber Cement
Fishing Boots
Dice
Nylon Rope
Candles
Trash Bags
House Paint
Water Pipes
Hand Lotion
Roller Skates
Surf Boards
Shampoo
Wheels
Paint Rollers
Shower Curtains
Guitar Strings
Luggage
Aspirin
Safety Glasses
Antifreeze
Football Helmets
Awnings
Eyeglasses
Clothes
Toothbrushes
Ice Chests
Footballs
Combs
CD's & DVD's
Paint Brushes
Detergents
Vaporizers
Balloons
Sun Glasses
Tents
Heart Valves
Crayons
Parachutes
Telephones
Enamel
Pillows
Dishes
Cameras
Anesthetics
Artificial Turf
Artificial limbs
Bandages
Dentures
Model Cars
Folding Doors
Hair Curlers
Cold cream
Movie film
Soft Contact lenses
Drinking Cups
Fan Belts
Car Enamel
Shaving Cream
Ammonia
Refrigerators
Golf Balls
Toothpaste
Gasoline

Americans consume petroleum products at a rate of three-and-a-half gallons of oil and more than
250 cubic feet of natural gas per day each! But, as shown here petroleum is not just used for fuel.

A partial list of products made from petroleum
As the use of fossil fuels is an unsustainable venture when the oil ultimately runs out there will be much sacrifice and inconvenience in that end of oil process..

Old 05-30-2014, 03:32 AM

2,004 posts, read 3,415,335 times
IMO, most folks are thinking..."Oh well, I won't be around when that happens anyway".
Also IMO, when it comes to being 'greener', most folks can 'talk the talk but not walk the walk'. It makes me chuckle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living