Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2014, 05:40 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,827,375 times

Advertisements

The base reality is all of these products can be made from cellulose and methane. The plants create the former by fixing atmospheric CO2 and the latter can be collected from anaerobic decay. These can be manipulated into darn near anything but require lots of energy and money. We could have an economy driven by nuclear power (full fuel recycle and breeding of new fissionable fuels) generated heat and electricity that uses plants and waster to provide the base materials currently supplied by oil.

Best way to save oil is to live a less material (fewer plastic bags) and energetic (way less electric energy) life and only drive locally (less gasoline or diesel) and when you really have to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2014, 07:10 AM

2,004 posts, read 3,419,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Best way to save oil is to live a less material (fewer plastic bags) and energetic (way less electric energy) life and only drive locally (less gasoline or diesel) and when you really have to.
This will never happen. People are too lazy and like things to be convenient to make any real effort.
The folks that are against hunting still eat meat and wear leather belts and shoes. The people that are against uses oil still drive from far out in the suburbs to downtown to work. Example: My next door neighbor is a book writing biologist with liberal political views and supports a greener lifestyle but he drives a large Cadillac and a big pick-up truck that pulls his 35' travel trailer that takes them to Mexico on vacation every winter, eats meat, and, because he hates squirrels, catches them and drowns them in a 55 gallon drum and he supports gun control but has 6 guns. He's about as hypocritical as they come and I doubt if he's the only one. Saving oil is not his cup of tea. Convenience is. If people want to save the planet, they would stop having babies. It all boils down to over-population.

Old 05-30-2014, 05:15 PM

635 posts, read 785,461 times
I figured that saving money and doing something positive was a good idea.
I actually don't like plastic that much. I was reading an article about how even the so called approved drinking bottles leach something that is bad for you. I was looking for stainless storage containers and really wish things came in glass bottles.(drinks)
For cars, plastic just makes the car not last as long. Making cars lighter would be an argument for plastic.
I keep forgetting to go buy a good siphon from the truck stop, maybe that would be an easier way of getting gas out. Yes the newer cans blow.
I actually have lived near my work and could barely get my engine warmed up. I considered riding a bike, but consider it too dangerous. People are nuts! And high on many legal and illegal things.
Boy, I sure opened a can of worms with my post.

Old 05-31-2014, 01:11 AM

15,948 posts, read 12,304,546 times
Long commutes burn up a lot of fossil fuels. I do my part passively by having a commute that's 2.5 miles. Mind you I didn't do it because of the environment, but because of monetary and time (which is money) costs.

Making any product at all requires energy, regardless of whether it's made from plastic or metal. If anything making a plastic product probably requires less energy than melting down the metal, coating the metal with other metals to prevent rusting, etc.

I look forward to the day where we have both free energy and matter energy replication.. we can stop having to farm or raise cattle in mass number, eliminate factory farming, take the farmland and fill it with trees, and let technology take care of our food and energy needs. I do not fear technology and change, genetically modified food, etc. The problem of course will be the big multinationals, politicians, entertainers, and others who will all want their 'piece of the pie' .. free energy will probably never be 'free' because 'they' would lose 'their' source of control.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living