Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2019, 05:48 AM

7,253 posts, read 5,126,001 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
If the world ends, your rural existence is also at risk. I believe we will not have a mass extinction in my lifetime. I like prepared food. Stores in my city will undoubtedly remain open and other than short periods of time communications are uninterrupted. Life is more robust in the city.

BTW if the cities stop working, I hope you have draft animals and old plows because refined fuels come from the cities, as does your electricity unless you have wind or solar.
Quote:
It exists today and works very well. Over 80% of the population live in cities and that is increasing. You should actually take an economics course before opining on economics.

The words arrogance and ignorance come to mind, but I don't want to get personal. Incredible.

Exactly how will you survive when the harvest can't be delivered to the city? It's obvious you've never witnessed even a short disruption of services.

Re- no electricity-- I guess all those Amish must be extinct by now, right? When your social life involves something other than computer games, you don't really have to have electricity to stay happy.

We in the sticks will still be able to produce food for ourselves without fuel but there won't be enough for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2019, 06:58 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,989,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
The words arrogance and ignorance come to mind, but I don't want to get personal. Incredible.

Exactly how will you survive when the harvest can't be delivered to the city? It's obvious you've never witnessed even a short disruption of services.

Re- no electricity-- I guess all those Amish must be extinct by now, right? When your social life involves something other than computer games, you don't really have to have electricity to stay happy.

We in the sticks will still be able to produce food for ourselves without fuel but there won't be enough for you.
The farmers are good at producing a harvest and getting it to market. That will continue or the banks will foreclose on the farm. Not a worry of mine.

The difference between a third world existence and first world existence hinges on electricity. Rural people voted Democratic for generations because Roosevelt electrified the farms using the REA. There are a couple hundred thousand Amish. What they do doesn't affect anything.

As I said before if the farmers don't produce and sell to the urban population, the bank will foreclose on the farm The next guy who owns the farm will be smarter.

Old 01-23-2019, 09:30 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times
In Detroit rental bikes and scooters get quite a bit of use all year round. Obviously less int he winter, but they are still all over the place. We have very few trails to accommodate them and many of the sidewalks are impassible to anything with wheels. Still they get a lot of use.

Old 01-24-2019, 03:02 AM

Quote:
The farmers are good at producing a harvest and getting it to market. That will continue or the banks will foreclose on the farm. Not a worry of mine.

We must be on the wrong page..You can't possibley be that dense...

We're talking about a long term disruption of the transportation system- that may or may not involve disruption of other things like electric supply. We're not taking about one snow storm like Chicago '67 that kept food out of the stores for over a week or even Katrina that paralyzed NO for several weeks & months.

If it does involve long term, geographically extensive disruption of delivery of electricity, how are the banks going to run their computers? They will be paralyzed. The court won't be able to function, so no foreclosures. Even the traffic lites won't work, but we're talking no traffic anyways, so that doesn't matter. Businesses will be closed; nobody working.

You really gotta get out in the real world more to see how real people live and what factors your Ivory Tower lifestyle & DC suburbs Fantasyland depends on.

Old 01-24-2019, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
We must be on the wrong page..You can't possibley be that dense...

We're talking about a long term disruption of the transportation system- that may or may not involve disruption of other things like electric supply. We're not taking about one snow storm like Chicago '67 that kept food out of the stores for over a week or even Katrina that paralyzed NO for several weeks & months.

If it does involve long term, geographically extensive disruption of delivery of electricity, how are the banks going to run their computers? They will be paralyzed. The court won't be able to function, so no foreclosures. Even the traffic lites won't work, but we're talking no traffic anyways, so that doesn't matter. Businesses will be closed; nobody working.

You really gotta get out in the real world more to see how real people live and what factors your Ivory Tower lifestyle & DC suburbs Fantasyland depends on.
No need to prepare for the sky to fall Chicken Little. It isn't going to happen.

Old 01-25-2019, 11:44 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,075,900 times
Quote:
No need to prepare for the sky to fall Chicken Little. It isn't going to happen.

A recent article extolled that this level of thinking still exists, and while there are efforts such as wind, solar, bicycle's, etc. to mitigate the manmade effect on our climate, we have generally moved beyond committing resources in that regard.

The new push is to erect levies, dikes and other efforts to protect populations from the incoming floods. Same goes for places that are becoming too warm to sustain human life. Indeed, as the oceans have risen certain islands in the pacific are completely under water and their entire populations have been relocated.

This is the "new" effort to defend our world from the effects of pollution. Arguing over whether electric cars or bicycles are more appropriate is passé. We have moved our climate beyond the point where any of that will matter in any meaningful way.

Old 01-26-2019, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
A recent article extolled that this level of thinking still exists, and while there are efforts such as wind, solar, bicycle's, etc. to mitigate the manmade effect on our climate, we have generally moved beyond committing resources in that regard.

The new push is to erect levies, dikes and other efforts to protect populations from the incoming floods. Same goes for places that are becoming too warm to sustain human life. Indeed, as the oceans have risen certain islands in the pacific are completely under water and their entire populations have been relocated.

This is the "new" effort to defend our world from the effects of pollution. Arguing over whether electric cars or bicycles are more appropriate is passé. We have moved our climate beyond the point where any of that will matter in any meaningful way.
Actually changing the structure of urban transportation makes a lot of sense. I agree that we will have to armor a number of our coastal cities like the Dutch currently do. None of that suggests there will be an apocalypse in the cities. Farmers may have to change crops, methods, and even locations, but farmers will still farm and sell their production to the cities. The urban population of the country will continue to grow and the rural population shrink. We will muddle through the harm caused by climate change. Future generations will be aghast at how short sighted we are about climate change.

Old 01-26-2019, 02:28 PM

Sea levels are rising @~1.3mm/yr-- most of it natural, some of it maybe due to melting of N. polar ice (S. polar ice is increasing). Much of the rising levels is attributable to rising tectonic plate motion, not warming....at 1.3mm/yr, it will takeover 1500 yrs to rise 2 meters. Here's how the LA & neighboring coast will look with 2 extra meters of ocean depth to deal with:

ONLY coastal edges, and very little of it, will be affected by rising sea levels....Back in your computers, folks. Nothing to see here.

Old 01-27-2019, 05:49 AM

Floods every high tide in Miami and Virginia Beach.

Old 01-27-2019, 06:23 AM

5,407 posts, read 3,600,460 times
Quote:
I've lost count how many people have said that on some forum or other.
no one can know for certain what the future will bring unless of course they have a time machine, but of course the majority will continue to hide their head in the sand.
relying on "the system" or other people for your personal survival wont do much good when that catastrophic event comes to pass, only self reliance will be any good.
look up "normalcy bias", it may open your eyes.but somehow I doubt it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living