Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2019, 01:32 PM

6,848 posts, read 7,992,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
And Katrina came thru 13 YEARS ago....The founders of NO had the foresight to build the original town, now the tourist section, on high ground.....Our sagacious govt spent $billions of our tax dollars on rebuilding the destroyed parts of the city that are below sea level. ...Votes obviously count more than intelligent solutions.
At some point we will probably abandon New Orleans and move everything to Baton Rouge. Civilization will continue. Climate change just imposes costs on us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2019, 01:38 AM

5,407 posts, read 3,601,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
Civilization does not require all neighborhoods to be rebuilt to your satisfaction.
these weren't rebuilt at all, some of the houses were matchwood others needed serious repair, I suppose being the poorer areas they weren't deemed of being in need of help, probably don't vote the right way!!

Old 01-30-2019, 04:59 AM

7,255 posts, read 5,131,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpaul View Post
these weren't rebuilt at all, some of the houses were matchwood others needed serious repair, I suppose being the poorer areas they weren't deemed of being in need of help, probably don't vote the right way!!

New Orleans was (still is) almost 70% African American heritage and ~25% living below the poverty line. The vast majority of people in NO were renters, not owners, of their homes
(can't document that now; I remember an NPR program stating something like 70% rented)….Not being owners, less demand to re-build.....Only ~ half of those displaced by the hurricane returned to NO metro area, although that merely continued the trend of population lost over the previous decade anyways.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4048822/-- poorly written article with confusing presentation and data.

As I said earlier, a good deal of the metro area is actually below sea level and none of that should have been rebuilt... You gotta know when to hold 'em, and know when to fold 'em.

NO is such a busy & important port for the export of Midwest farm products, The Army Corp of Engineers keeps the Miss. R. well dredged out for navigation-- The river Delta, therefore, is no longer growing from the natural deposition of muddy effluent eroded from the Missouri, Ohio, and Miss. River basins, but that stuff is carried well out into The Gulf by the now fast flowing river...That's the reason for the expanding "Dead Zone" in the Gulf--It's not the chemicals, just light-blocking mud suspended in the waters.

Old 01-30-2019, 05:44 AM

I suppose being renters AND black and being poor they are not deemed to be worthy of help, at the end of the day these were still their homes!! like I said before they probably didn't vote the right way or didn't vote at all.

Old 01-30-2019, 07:48 AM

Quote:
The poor always suffer, but that doesn't help your Chicken Little prognostication of an end of civilization. New Orleans has recovered. Some of the poor who previously lived in New Orleans now live elsewhere. That's actually better than rebuilding those neighborhoods that are below sea level.

Old 01-30-2019, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
.That's the reason for the expanding "Dead Zone" in the Gulf--It's not the chemicals, just light-blocking mud suspended in the waters.
This is wrong. Oxygen depleted hypoxic zones are most frequently caused by nutrient runoff -- fertilizer and animal waste.

Old 01-30-2019, 07:57 AM

Quote:
The poor always suffer, but that doesn't help your Chicken Little prognostication of an end of civilization. New Orleans has recovered. Some of the poor who previously lived in New Orleans now live elsewhere. That's actually better than rebuilding those neighborhoods that are below sea level.
I thought most of NO was below sea level and that was the reason for the levees??
chicken little? sorry I don't believe in aliens from outer space.neither do I base my survival on a Disney cartoon, i'll leave that to you Americans.

Old 01-30-2019, 08:47 AM

7,255 posts, read 5,131,727 times
Quote:
This is wrong. Oxygen depleted hypoxic zones are most frequently caused by nutrient runoff -- fertilizer and animal waste.

That's the talking point of the shallow thinking TreeHuggers. In fact: Dirt laden water--> less light penetration--> less green algae--> less oxygen-->less plankton growth-->fewer fish... Excess P means nothing under those circumstances.

There was always a Dead Zone off the Delta. They don't call it The Big Muddy for nothing. It's just bigger now due to faster flow of river.

https://pubs.usgs.gov/fs/2006/3005/fs-2006-3005.pdf Check out Fig. 4 --GC1 core data- the one that goes back 150 yrs-- the proxy oxygen data shows low levels back then. They rose for the next 100 yrs before falling again. Why was low O due to natural causes then, but must be man-made chemicals now?...I submit it's the dredging activity increased since 1950. http://mississippiriverdelta.org/our...sis/land-loss/

Old 01-30-2019, 09:09 AM

39,868 posts, read 26,503,175 times
The biggest thing we can hope for is de-urbanization/counterurbanization. The move to big urban areas is about JOBS. Historically that is where jobs have been concentrated, due to the need to interface between people and different companies. But technology is changing. The internet has made working from home or dispersed offices much more practical. A lot of manufacturing is now more fragmented than it was, with components being made in different locations than where the product is assembled. And the shipping/distribution paradigm has been completely revised due to Amazon and other internet retailers.

Living in larger urban areas basically sucks. Noise, traffic, pollution, parking problems, high cost of living forces many to live in tiny apartments, lack of natural green space, etc. On top of that, you have the "human element"-with huge numbers of strangers there is little sense of community.

All of these factors make small/smaller town working much more practical-with the associated benefits of quality of life and typically lower cost of living. You can afford a house with an actual yard for what you'd pay apartment rent in a major urban area. Greatly reduced commute times give people a lot more free/family time. You are typically much closer to a natural environment for recreational activities (and it's far, far, less crowded when you get there).

Old 01-30-2019, 10:41 AM

Quote:
I thought most of NO was below sea level and that was the reason for the levees??
chicken little? sorry I don't believe in aliens from outer space.neither do I base my survival on a Disney cartoon, i'll leave that to you Americans.
Are you changing your argument, because earlier you were claiming an apocalyptic end to civilization. Now your calamity is the poor may have to move. The second doesn't seem all that scary. Brexit will undoubtedly be a bigger economic hit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living