Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2019, 06:30 PM

7,251 posts, read 5,123,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
It's not your call to make, nor mine; let free human interaction via the markets decide the outcome.

Exactly right.....MotherNature is the ultimate Capitalist---She encourages new start-ups and lets the Market (the Jungle) determine survival.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2019, 01:57 AM

5,407 posts, read 3,599,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
It happens every severe snow storm and then is restored in a day or two. Not to worry.
until it dosent.
new orleans wasn't restored in a day or two was it? I believe some areas are still unliveable.

Old 01-29-2019, 03:41 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,989,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpaul View Post
until it dosent.
new orleans wasn't restored in a day or two was it? I believe some areas are still unliveable.
I was in New Orleans about three months ago

Laissez les bons temps rouler

Old 01-29-2019, 04:35 AM

5,407 posts, read 3,599,478 times
Quote:

and??
I saw a film of the poorer areas and they hadn't been restored, not a bit of it.

Old 01-29-2019, 04:37 AM

Quote:

And Katrina came thru 13 YEARS ago....The founders of NO had the foresight to build the original town, now the tourist section, on high ground.....Our sagacious govt spent $billions of our tax dollars on rebuilding the destroyed parts of the city that are below sea level. ...Votes obviously count more than intelligent solutions.

Old 01-29-2019, 06:29 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,724,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
There's a problem with that:

US soybean annual production-- 4 billion bu https://www.statista.com/statistics/...us-since-2000/
US Diesel fuel annual consumption-- 50 billion gal https://www.eia.gov/dnav/pet/pet_con..._dcu_nus_a.htm

It takes1 bu of beans to produce 1.4gal of biodiesel, so 4 billion bu x 1.4 gal.bu = 5.6 billion gal How many gallons of biodiesel can you make from a bushel of soybeans?

That doesn't leave any to supply need for feed & industrial uses of soy and we'd still be short 45 billion gal.

Consider the folly of oil from algae: Al the coal and oil we have used and have still in reserve was formed in Carboniferous Swamps/forests covering so many sq mi located in the Mideast/ American oil shale country, Texas/OK, PA, CA, the German Ruhr, the Mex Gulf, N. Sea, etc etc ….Now multiply that area by the height/depth of those swamps & forests, and then multiply that by the millions upon millions of years of sunlight that went into that oil & coal production.

Remember that the multicellular oil producing plants had vascular systems that delivered water & nutrients to tightly packed chlorophyll- laden cells....Now they think they can grow algae that can't be packed that tightly, grown in test tubes in a few measley warehouses under paltry artificial lighting conditions can produce fuel in quantities anywhere near enough to replace even a tiny portion of our fuel requirements each year is absurd. Biodiesel | Energy Justice Network

total us gasoline/diesel usage/yr ==180 billion gal (call it 200 billion for easy math)...biodiesel from algae 20,000 gal/ac... we'd need a billion ac/yr, (1,500,000 sq mi) not to mention all that fresh water, to supply our need. US total crop acreage these days is only 350,000,000 ac (1/3rd of a billion) https://www.usda.gov/nass/PUBS/TODAYRPT/acrg0616.pdf Silly to even contemplate it-- except for those lucrative profits from govt grants to study it.
Agreed IF we were trying to supply everyone with power. I'm not talking about doing that. The majority of oil fired generation in Midwest are situated in small towns in rural settings. Most of these plants are capable of carrying town load in an island mode of operation and typically have a good amount of diesel stored on sight. (I'm looking at 60,000 gallons out my window now which btw is a blend of 20% soy bio fuel.)

Old 01-29-2019, 06:50 AM

538 posts, read 731,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
The fabric of society has changed in many ways over the yrs-- Prior to WW II. half of Americans still lived in rural areas. The War established big industry as the major job provider and The Great Migration brought many Southerners north to the factories & cities....Better jobs gave working class folks the means to move to suburbs away from the congestion & dirt of the big cities.

City planners in the 60s took zoning to extremes because the increasing availability if autos allowed more mobility. Stores were bunched along major arteries (no more corner store or local pub) and industrial areas were set well away from residential areas....Those residential areas were designed with picturesque (?) winding streets and each sq mi was separated from the others by walls and large arterial roads with limited access to the neighborhoods themselves. That led to isolation of neighborhoods and made public trans logistically inconvenient.

Then there's yellow journalism preaching to parents the dangers of kidnappings, and restrictive regs & liability concerns that made public playgrounds and unsupervised play untenable. Add in computer games and you never see kids on swings in the park or playing ball in the street anymore.

We've all read Tom Sawyer. Go back and read Twain's intro to the book. He explains he was trying to bring back the common experience of growing up American in the 1840s. How many of us today (especially the Millennials) can identify even in the vaguest of ways with the stories?

Here's an episode of Growing a Greener World about NYC's High Line development as an urban garden path. Interesting in itself, but pay special attention to the observations near the end by one of the organizers about the effects of the project on humanity. https://www.growingagreenerworld.com...ork-high-line/
Great post, guidoLaMoto.

I went looking for the intro to Tom Sawyer, but couldn't find one.

Old 01-29-2019, 09:51 AM

16,215 posts, read 11,330,002 times
Quote:
until it doesn't.
New Orleans wasn't restored in a day or two was it? I believe some areas are still uninhabitable.. (sic)
Then the people in those areas should be encouraged to move out (which, in fact, was done after Katrina for some of the young and the most-motivated). But you can't legislate a work ethic, and not everybody has one.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 01-29-2019 at 10:27 AM..

Old 01-29-2019, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
Great post, guidoLaMoto.

I went looking for the intro to Tom Sawyer, but couldn't find one.

ADVENTURES OF TOM SAWYER, By Twain, Part 1.

PREFACE

"Most of the adventures recorded in this book really occurred; one or two were experiences of my own, the rest those of boys who were schoolmates of mine. Huck Finn is drawn from life; Tom Sawyer also, but not from an individual—he is a combination of the characteristics of three boys whom I knew, and therefore belongs to the composite order of architecture.
The odd superstitions touched upon were all prevalent among children and slaves in the West at the period of this story—that is to say, thirty or forty years ago.
Although my book is intended mainly for the entertainment of boys and girls, I hope it will not be shunned by men and women on that account, for part of my plan has been to try to pleasantly remind adults of what they once were themselves, and of how they felt and thought and talked, and what ***** enterprises they sometimes engaged in.
THE AUTHOR.
HARTFORD, 1876."

Old 01-29-2019, 01:30 PM

6,848 posts, read 7,989,240 times
Quote:
and??
I saw a film of the poorer areas and they hadn't been restored, not a bit of it.
Civilization does not require all neighborhoods to be rebuilt to your satisfaction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living