Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2023, 04:43 PM

2,627 posts, read 1,170,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
This fixation with washing everything after a single use, especially if you live alone...
Living alone doesn't mean people do live alone don't get sick. There are many times when I was coming down with something but it was to early to go to the Doctor. Darn right I washed the utensils after one use. I had cats for 16 years I washed everything after one use even the cat dishes. Their water bowls never got just rinsed then put in clean water heck no I made sure I put them in the dishwasher too.

But they are gone now and I miss them. I still make sure I put what can go into the dishwasher but the sponge I wasn't so sure about when I keep seeing articles pop up now and then about the ever important kitchen sponge journalists write about.

I learned the hard way wash acrylic drinking glasses by hand. I always look for dishwasher safe now. I also never ever keep the sponge until it smells rotten.

Thank you everyone and from now do like Parnassia put that hot water on it and squish it against itself to clean. After a week or two I make sure I replace it just in case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2023, 08:22 PM

9,848 posts, read 7,716,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
You mean... You went to other people's homes and sniffed their kitchen sponges?
More than 50 years ago I was babysitting and went to the kitchen to see if there were any dishes to wash. OMG, I still remember the smell of that woman's sponge. I never got near it.

Old 12-07-2023, 08:09 AM

4,190 posts, read 2,502,595 times
I prefer to wash dishes by hand; the sponge is replaced every month or so; the old sponges then follow a routine: bathroom/shower, then to the car cleaning or in the shed for wiping down things or since I paint, I paint abstracts and use them in painting. For more on the latter google: Abstract Painting Sponge Technique

Old 12-07-2023, 11:53 AM

11,046 posts, read 6,632,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
This has always confused me since the dishwasher takes like an HOUR to run through a cycle and I can do a kitchen full of dishes in less that 20 mins. ?? BTW my dishwasher doesn't work.

I do my dishes the NY way. I run the water the entire time, albeit slowly. Utensils, glasses, dishes, then pots. That's how my father taught me.
That's the NY way? Lol. I've done it that way my whole life and I'm from the Left coast. Haven't used a dishwasher for decades. I did use the old one to stack and air-dry the dishes but it failed early on due to hard water.

We have the lowest water usage in our whole condo complex, so we are doing "something" right, lol.

I don't mind doing dishes by hand but the water is hard on my old nails so the derm doc said wear gloves. DH just took over the job instead----

Old 12-07-2023, 01:53 PM

1,830 posts, read 1,428,248 times
Having grown up in and retired back to a semi-arid climate that is currently in an historic drought, this whole notion of just letting the water run pushes my water-saving buttons big time...

We have a dishwasher and it gets used when it's completely full. But sometimes I just prefer to hand wash. I do not put plastic storage containers in my dishwasher at all; as they take up too much space and always collect water to drip over the lower rack's dishes.

Do I fill the sink with water? No. I wet a microfiber wash rag (no sponge), add soap, then wash each individual piece. Then it's rinsed and set aside to air dry, unless we need to hand dry for some reason.

Water conservation is the key around here, so we do watch how much water we use very carefully. Sometimes the dishwasher is the better bet, sometimes hand washing is.

Old 12-07-2023, 03:14 PM

4,510 posts, read 2,651,635 times
Sheesh.

Use a double sink if you've got one, otherwise a dishpan and your sink.

Fill one side with hot soapy water. Fill the other side with hot plain water.

Wash in the soapy water. Rinse by dunking in the hot rinse water. If soap builds up enough in the rinse water that it's a problem (it won't) then run a new sink of rinse water.

Where did you people learn how to wash dishes? Run water constantly for rinsing? Really? I mean, yeah, OK, if youv'e got two plates and a couple forks, but for a big load of dishes? Talk about just pouring money right.down.the.drain!

That's the way my grandmother washed dishes, that's the way my mother washed dishes, that's the way all my aunts washed dishes, when I worked in restaurants that's the way we washed dishes in every restaurant I ever worked in.

Old 12-07-2023, 05:22 PM

8,856 posts, read 6,846,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staystill View Post
Living alone doesn't mean people do live alone don't get sick.

I don't understand why you quoted me. Maybe someone else disagreed with this point?

Old 12-07-2023, 08:27 PM

61,650 posts, read 87,023,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
This has always confused me since the dishwasher takes like an HOUR to run through a cycle and I can do a kitchen full of dishes in less that 20 mins. ?? BTW my dishwasher doesn't work.

I do my dishes the NY way. I run the water the entire time, albeit slowly. Utensils, glasses, dishes, then pots. That's how my father taught me.
An hour? Most take 2+ hrs for full cycle and yes, it would annoy me too.
Good news is that most new models come with shorter cycles (like washers) and offer express cycle that takes about 20 minutes. That's for light soiled pans and pots, more like a rinse and it's more bearable.
Yeah, dishwashers should have several options where you should decide how long it should take to wash your dishes, especially if you have just few plates and glasses and presoaked pot or two to wash...

Old 12-08-2023, 06:48 AM

381 posts, read 169,941 times
I always let the sponge air dry after hand wringing out as much moisture as possible. The sponge will dry completely and if I go a over a day without using it it will actually start to shrivel up a bit as well.

I have had roommates that literally put the sponge back sopping wet, not just wet, but where it's actually heavy from so much moisture. How gross. I started to use my own sponge for my own dishes. That is truly just a breeding ground for bacteria.

You're cell phone has more bacteria on it than a standard air dried sponge.

Old 12-08-2023, 04:22 PM

24,479 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
An hour? Most take 2+ hrs for full cycle and yes, it would annoy me too.
Good news is that most new models come with shorter cycles (like washers) and offer express cycle that takes about 20 minutes. That's for light soiled pans and pots, more like a rinse and it's more bearable.
Yeah, dishwashers should have several options where you should decide how long it should take to wash your dishes, especially if you have just few plates and glasses and presoaked pot or two to wash...
A dino may take two hours. Full load including crystal and pots runs 30 minutes and everything is clean. I cannot hand wash for the amount of water it uses. Open floor plan and a lot quieter than me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living