Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2018, 08:28 AM

1,141 posts, read 1,033,994 times

Advertisements

Huh interesting. I was just wondering if I was imagining it right. So my other question. The Westin won't connect directly to the Davie St. parking deck?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2018, 08:28 AM

1,459 posts, read 1,164,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
It's like the chicken or the egg. At the same time it doesn't make sense to build a convention center without nearby hotels. Fortunately there is enough going on downtown for some hotel demand but eventually downtown is going to need some convention space.
Ok, yeah.

It doesn't make sense to build a convention center if there is not demand for a convention center.

Old 12-03-2018, 08:49 AM

511 posts, read 511,067 times
I mean, I guess it's possible. Maybe if it wasn't on the parking garage side of the building. I'm having a hard time picturing where the up/down ramps are going to be with that bridge over February One Pl. Maybe that break in the design will be where those ramps go.

Old 12-03-2018, 10:10 AM

6,157 posts, read 7,226,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncchgrad View Post
Ok, yeah.

It doesn't make sense to build a convention center if there is not demand for a convention center.
Of course there would be demand.......for the right size convention center of course....nobody is saying downtown needs a 500,000 square foot convention center or a 200,000 square foot one for that matter. If the Koury didn't exist that would be a different story. A modest 80,000 to 100,000 square foot facility is all downtown needs. The Koury wasn't built downtown because back in 1990 downtown was dead. No nightlife, hardly any restaurants or attractions. Having those kind of amenities within walking distance is vital. Downtown has changed dramatically since 1990.

Last edited by gsoboi78; 12-03-2018 at 10:21 AM..

Old 12-03-2018, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebermudatriad View Post
I mean, I guess it's possible. Maybe if it wasn't on the parking garage side of the building. I'm having a hard time picturing where the up/down ramps are going to be with that bridge over February One Pl. Maybe that break in the design will be where those ramps go.
My guess is just as good as yours. But that break is very odd.

Old 12-04-2018, 08:12 AM

Pay wall. Opening date for Hyatt Place is approaching and one of the apartment buildings at Carroll at Bellemeade is nearly ready for occupancy.

https://www.bizjournals.com/triad/ne...lls-first.html

Old 12-04-2018, 09:03 AM

1,141 posts, read 1,033,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
Pay wall. Opening date for Hyatt Place is approaching and one of the apartment buildings at Carroll at Bellemeade is nearly ready for occupancy.

https://www.bizjournals.com/triad/ne...lls-first.html
Looks like Carroll expects Hyatt Place to be finished Jan 1st. Not opened but finished. And the first apartment building to be done next week. The article also says he still plans on building a hotel on his other N. Eugene St site where the plans for the Aloft use to be. Carroll says he's been in talks with the city and hopes to announce what they have planned there by the end of the first quarter of 2019. Doesn't sound like it will be an Aloft anymore though.

Old 12-04-2018, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trent Y View Post
Looks like Carroll expects Hyatt Place to be finished Jan 1st. Not opened but finished. And the first apartment building to be done next week. The article also says he still plans on building a hotel on his other N. Eugene St site where the plans for the Aloft use to be. Carroll says he's been in talks with the city and hopes to announce what they have planned there by the end of the first quarter of 2019. Doesn't sound like it will be an Aloft anymore though.
Guess we will see is Aloft remains the flag or another flag. He still may build something tall on that site but not as tall as originally planned. He won't give up on Project 561 but it will likely go next to his Center Pointe tower now when the time comes. If Aloft backs out hope Hotel Indigo replaces it. The original deal and situation with Project Slugger was complex and the city was already dealing with the city deck associated with the Westin. But at this point I don't care if his new plan isn't Project 561. I just want to see a tall addition to Greensboro's skyline. I'm content with 15 stories on his new site. The Westin will be a nice addition but I'd like to see at least two towers.

Roy Carroll making an announcement at the end of the first quarter? We'll see lol. Every time he states when he will make an announcement, it's always later than what he states.

Last edited by gsoboi78; 12-04-2018 at 10:36 AM..

Old 12-09-2018, 06:02 PM

Pretty cool streetscape plans for downtown Greensboro

https://www.greensboro-nc.gov/depart...pe-master-plan

Old 12-09-2018, 06:19 PM

Also link talking about the 60 townhouse, 8,000 sq ft of commercial space and over 30 rental units planned for part of the vacant land at South Elm and Gate City Blvd near Union Square. Construction could begin by February 2019.

South Elm Street development moves forward
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point