Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2019, 01:34 PM

6,161 posts, read 7,230,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRVT View Post
A website to the development means nothing. The A-Loft had one too if I'm not mistaken.

I would agree that the Marriott probably has too many rooms. Your point about business travelers having to use certainly brands has a little bit of merit (emphasis on little) but that's somewhat being rectified by the additional hotels being built.

I give it about a 20% chance that the Westin starts construction this year. If everything is in line and there's no hesitation, there's no reason to wait around and start construction in 4-10 months (given that Fall can mean up until almost Christmas). I give it about a 40% chance that it happens at all (or at least within the next few years). Again, if things were moving, the developers wouldn't be keeping their mouths shut. Quietly moving deadlines is the biggest sign of a project in deep trouble. If it does go through, odds are, it will be another brand.
Unless there is factual evidence the Westin won't get built, I'm going to assume that it will. There is far more evidence that it will than not. Personal opinions whether one thinks its going to be built or not is not going to make or break this deal. Aloft was different. It was part of a much larger project which relied on a deck that will be used of other developments. There were a lot of moving parts and each project had different time schedules. This led to a change in Carroll's layout for his future development and there was just too much of a delay. Carroll still plans a hotel but we'll see if Aloft comes back on board or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2019, 09:14 PM

37,892 posts, read 41,998,813 times
If the Westin doesn't get off the ground now, I think it could sometime after the PAC is completed. PACs are anchors that typically spur more development like hotels and should generate more demand for higher-end hotel rooms downtown.

Old 01-20-2019, 06:36 AM

1,206 posts, read 1,058,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
If the Westin doesn't get off the ground now, I think it could sometime after the PAC is completed. PACs are anchors that typically spur more development like hotels and should generate more demand for higher-end hotel rooms downtown.
I could certainly see that. Especially since Charlotte doesn't really have a theater of this caliber and size. It still won't generate enough demand on its own (obviously) but it will help. That should also allow potential development across the street to start taking shape and the Westin could be worked in with that.

Old 01-20-2019, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRVT View Post
I could certainly see that. Especially since Charlotte doesn't really have a theater of this caliber and size. It still won't generate enough demand on its own (obviously) but it will help. That should also allow potential development across the street to start taking shape and the Westin could be worked in with that.
I think its the combination of the PAC and everything else downtown. The trend now is for hotel guests to be able to walk to restaurants, bars, theaters, museums, parks, baseball games, and other entertainment attractions. This is why I think a large conference center or small convention center will soon follow after the opening of all the hotels which is being eyed for the News and Record property across the street from the Westin site. Because of the nature of my job I have a little info about the Westin project and I can tell you, just because you don't see construction happening or recent news headlines, that doesn’t mean nothing is happening. Work behind the scenes is still going on with contractors and that sort of thing.

Old 01-20-2019, 07:39 AM

Photo update of the Hampton Inn and Suites downtown. You see some exterior brick on the base. This will actually be a pretty tall 7 story building.

Steven Tanger Center for the Performing Arts

Last edited by gsoboi78; 01-20-2019 at 08:17 AM..

Old 01-20-2019, 09:33 AM

57 posts, read 51,385 times
I'm impressed with how quickly the Hampton Inn is going up and I agree for it's location it will appear pretty tall. I hope the Westin does get built, it paired with the potential work on the News and Record site could really work to transfer Davie Street. The large hole on the site near Davie is really an eye-sore for a street that already needs some desperate improvements.

Old 01-20-2019, 11:31 PM

1,409 posts, read 1,962,062 times
7 stories, around 9 1/2 stories tall, so will very look good on that side of downtown with the midrise buildings in that area, while extending the skyline.

This and the westin will create some great density that greensboro surely needs.

Also whatever is being built after the old jail house is torn down downtown, which i assume will be 10-12 stories, based on the lot size and how much office space was proposed.

People are so focused on project slugger, yet a much taller structure is going up on the other side of downtown.

[IMG][/IMG] going to completely transform this area.

Last edited by YinXyang; 01-20-2019 at 11:46 PM..

Old 01-21-2019, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSOCitizen View Post
7 stories, around 9 1/2 stories tall, so will very look good on that side of downtown with the midrise buildings in that area, while extending the skyline.

This and the westin will create some great density that greensboro surely needs.

Also whatever is being built after the old jail house is torn down downtown, which i assume will be 10-12 stories, based on the lot size and how much office space was proposed.

People are so focused on project slugger, yet a much taller structure is going up on the other side of downtown.

[IMG][/IMG] going to completely transform this area.

More density and one less parking lot

Old 01-22-2019, 08:43 AM

511 posts, read 511,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
More density and one less parking lot
Where will parking be for this hotel?

Old 01-22-2019, 09:31 AM

1,409 posts, read 1,962,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebermudatriad View Post
Where will parking be for this hotel?
they're also building a private 150 space parking deck solely for the hotel.

Last edited by YinXyang; 01-22-2019 at 09:42 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point