Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2019, 06:13 AM

32 posts, read 27,793 times

Advertisements

Regarding the Carroll Bellemeade South development, I wonder if Roy would convert the county office building at the corner of Friendly & Eugene into a conference/convention center? It was a former Sears retail store many years ago. It has 2 floors and a basement with a total of over 90,000 sq ft of space. The Elm Street Center, which will be part of the Westin hotel project, was formally the Ellis Stone Department store. It will be used as a conference center when the Westin hotel opens. Merely speculation on my part.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2019, 07:27 AM

6,156 posts, read 7,220,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRay324 View Post
Regarding the Carroll Bellemeade South development, I wonder if Roy would convert the county office building at the corner of Friendly & Eugene into a conference/convention center? It was a former Sears retail store many years ago. It has 2 floors and a basement with a total of over 90,000 sq ft of space. The Elm Street Center, which will be part of the Westin hotel project, was formally the Ellis Stone Department store. It will be used as a conference center when the Westin hotel opens. Merely speculation on my part.
Probably not. Roy Carroll is not known for preserving existing structures for his developments. The old Dixie apartment building was demolished to make way for the Hyatt Place.

As for the Westin it was a no brainer to incorporate the Elm Street Center with the Westin. I don't think they could demolish it if they wanted to because its in the historic district. The only exception a building is torn down in the historic district is if it has been condemned by the city and the building is a danger to the public. That almost happened to the Cascade Saloon but it got renovated. If the Cascade Saloon had been torn down, a new building could not be built in its place because its in the railroad right of way.

Old 03-10-2019, 12:15 PM

57 posts, read 51,331 times
In addition to all these exciting development prospects there are some smaller projects which will help to connect the downtown areas more:

Greene Street will be converted into 2-way with some updates in the street scape (https://www.greensboro-nc.gov/depart.../greene-street)

Additional streetscape throughout downtown on Elm, Market, Davie and church streets (https://www.greensboro-nc.gov/depart...pe-master-plan)

and plans to renovate Hamburger square park (https://www.greensboro.com/blogs/got...b53be5de5.html)

All these will help to connect the larger projects and make the pedestrian experience better downtown.

Old 03-10-2019, 12:27 PM

6,799 posts, read 7,377,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
Probably not. Roy Carroll is not known for preserving existing structures for his developments. The old Dixie apartment building was demolished to make way for the Hyatt Place.

As for the Westin it was a no brainer to incorporate the Elm Street Center with the Westin. I don't think they could demolish it if they wanted to because its in the historic district. The only exception a building is torn down in the historic district is if it has been condemned by the city and the building is a danger to the public. That almost happened to the Cascade Saloon but it got renovated. If the Cascade Saloon had been torn down, a new building could not be built in its place because its in the railroad right of way.
Not true. Being located in a National Register Historic District does not prevent demolition.

Old 03-12-2019, 12:10 AM

Interesting article about the opening of Hyatt Place and Carroll at Bellemeade. It also discusses about Carroll building an Aloft Hotel at Carroll at Bellemeade South across the street and Carroll wanting to build a convention center.

https://www.greensboro.com/business/...e630a76b4.html

View of First National Bank Field from Hyatt Place.

Inside guest room

Old 03-12-2019, 05:41 AM

32 posts, read 27,793 times
“I think there’s discussion around other parts of some strategic areas downtown that would be an additional hotel and conference center up to 30,000 square feet,” Madison Carroll said. “I simply say that everything is on the table.” Interesting article. Guess we will find out what Roy has planned in less than 30 days.

Old 03-12-2019, 08:06 AM

Quote:
“I think there’s discussion around other parts of some strategic areas downtown that would be an additional hotel and conference center up to 30,000 square feet,” Madison Carroll said. “I simply say that everything is on the table.” Interesting article. Guess we will find out what Roy has planned in less than 30 days.
Yup. However I'd go up more than 30,000.sq ft. That's like a very large ballroom. For the number of hotels going up downtown, a facility needs to be in the range of 75,000 to 100,000 square feet. That's the sweet spot for downtown. Not too big and not too small.

Old 03-12-2019, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Yup. However I'd go up more than 30,000.sq ft. That's like a very large ballroom. For the number of hotels going up downtown, a facility needs to be in the range of 80,000 to 100,000 square feet. That's the sweet spot for downtown. Not too big and not too small. Heck the Elm Street Center is 77,000 square feet and its not even a convention center. The M.C. Benton Convention Center in downtown Winston-Salem is 100,000 square feet and that's the size a convention center in downtown Greensboro needs to be. By comparison the Koury Convention Center has 275,000 sq ft of meeting space but we don't need a facility that large downtown. 30,000 square feet is not going to be enough to quantify 3 or 4 new hotels on top of the existing hotels downtown.

Old 03-12-2019, 06:53 PM

1,205 posts, read 1,053,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
Yup. However I'd go up more than 30,000.sq ft. That's like a very large ballroom. For the number of hotels going up downtown, a facility needs to be in the range of 80,000 to 100,000 square feet. That's the sweet spot for downtown. Not too big and not too small. Heck the Elm Street Center is 77,000 square feet and its not even a convention center. The M.C. Benton Convention Center in downtown Winston-Salem is 100,000 square feet and that's the size a convention center in downtown Greensboro needs to be. By comparison the Koury Convention Center has 275,000 sq ft of meeting space but we don't need a facility that large downtown. 30,000 square feet is not going to be enough to quantify 3 or 4 new hotels on top of the existing hotels downtown.
But the size of the conference center shouldn't be how do we justify building a bunch of potentially unnecessary hotels. It should be based on what the demand is for hotel rooms. Period.

30,000 seems small to me too... but if that's the demand then there's no need to build a 100,000 square foot facility. That would be an irresponsible use of cash.

Old 03-12-2019, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRVT View Post
But the size of the conference center shouldn't be how do we justify building a bunch of potentially unnecessary hotels. It should be based on what the demand is for hotel rooms. Period.

30,000 seems small to me too... but if that's the demand then there's no need to build a 100,000 square foot facility. That would be an irresponsible use of cash.
Demand is there, that's why its being considered. But if Greensboro is going to build all these downtown hotels, a convention center will help make sure they are successful in the long run. 100,000 square feet is not is big as you think. Its actually pretty small. By comparison the convention centers in downtown Raleigh and Charlotte are 500,000 square feet so 100,000 is pretty modest. Downtown Greensboro needs that at least, anything smaller will limit what kind of conventions come downtown. Its not even worth pursuing unless the facility has some size to it. An oversized ballroom will do nothing but attract wedding receptions. It shouldn't be any smaller than 80,000 sq ft.

Last edited by gsoboi78; 03-12-2019 at 08:28 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point