Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2019, 08:58 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,388,775 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
Yes which is why it appears that Carroll may be doing just that.
Well when he actually does it, it counts. And you're the one who brought Charlotte levels of high rise development. My point is, and its 100% correct, is that G'boro isn't going to see anything close to that level of highrise development. One or 2 here or there, years apart, maybe, but thats it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2019, 09:37 AM

80 posts, read 69,744 times
The picture gsocitizen posted illustrates my point. This area of downtown has undergone an amazing transformation due primarily to low/mid rise development, but I can still count seven surface parking lots in this one section of downtown. Think how it would look and more importantly how vibrant it would be if all this development would have been stacked on top of each other in a single 30 story tower. It wouldn’t have been as impactful in my opinion and that doesn’t even take into account the cost. Both GSO and WS have plenty of open lots and redevelopment opportunities before the need to start going seriously vertical becomes necessary. We are nothing like downtown Charlotte and honestly in a lot of ways that makes us better.

Old 03-29-2019, 09:42 AM

6,161 posts, read 7,230,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
Well when he actually does it, it counts. And you're the one who brought Charlotte levels of high rise development. My point is, and its 100% correct, is that G'boro isn't going to see anything close to that level of highrise development. One or 2 here or there, years apart, maybe, but thats it.
I'm not arguing with you there. No one said Greensboro is going to be getting Charlotte level highrises, but Greensboro is on the verge of seeing more. The change has been gradual. Developers started out with 3 story residential projects. Now they are building 6 to 7 story apartments. There will be an uptick with tall developments. Just not on Charlotte's level.

Old 03-29-2019, 10:20 AM

Quote:
I'm not arguing with you there. No one said Greensboro is going to be getting Charlotte level highrises, but Greensboro is on the verge of seeing more. The change has been gradual. Developers started out with 3 story residential projects. Now they are building 6 to 7 story apartments. There will be an uptick with tall developments. Just not on Charlotte's level.
We'll see. One would be an "uptick", lol. The economics aren't there to support anything other than the occasional midrise building.

Old 03-29-2019, 10:42 AM

1,206 posts, read 1,058,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-V-R View Post
The picture gsocitizen posted illustrates my point. This area of downtown has undergone an amazing transformation due primarily to low/mid rise development, but I can still count seven surface parking lots in this one section of downtown. Think how it would look and more importantly how vibrant it would be if all this development would have been stacked on top of each other in a single 30 story tower. It wouldn’t have been as impactful in my opinion and that doesn’t even take into account the cost. Both GSO and WS have plenty of open lots and redevelopment opportunities before the need to start going seriously vertical becomes necessary. We are nothing like downtown Charlotte and honestly in a lot of ways that makes us better.
Exactly. While the geographic footprint size of downtown Greensboro is pretty small, there's still a TON of space. Mid-rise is the way to go for now, creating ground level retail whenever possible. The proposed development by the stadium would be a perfect opportunity for that.

Old 03-29-2019, 02:01 PM

1,409 posts, read 1,962,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRVT View Post
Exactly. While the geographic footprint size of downtown Greensboro is pretty small, there's still a TON of space. Mid-rise is the way to go for now, creating ground level retail whenever possible. The proposed development by the stadium would be a perfect opportunity for that.
i always wondered that, the footprint is very small for a city it's size.

Good thing their finally expanding instead of just focusing on elm street.

Old 03-29-2019, 02:37 PM

6,161 posts, read 7,230,579 times
The good thing about going vertical is that you can fit more in a smaller space. What if Roy Carroll went ahead with the 28 plus story tower on top of the deck? It still would have had ground level retail. The height doesn't change that. At the same time Carroll could have had room to build a mid-rise development next to that along Eugene St. It would have been like two developments on one site as oppose to just one midrise development. I don't think you sacrifice ground level activity because you build taller. It's all about density. The more people, the more activity you have on the street. Fortunately Carroll still plans some sort of tower with the Aloft and office stacked. I don't think it will be really tall but it would cross the threshold of being a highrise. I think it would be between 10 and 15 stories.

But a taller skyline IN PART does help create a "bigger city" image. I think thats part of Greensboro's problem. Greensboro and the Triad have an excellent quality of life, urban amenities, great universities, a large educated workforce yet we still have difficulty attracting big companies and corporate headquarters. Why is that? Its an image thing. Not everyone is familiar with Greensboro. You say Charlotte or Raleigh and everyone knows where they are located. Major companies like to relocate to established well known cities. It's like when a Walmart opens up in a town. It opens on a major thoroughfare as oppose to a back road because of greater visibility and easier access. Charlotte is like a major thoroughfare and Greensboro is like a back road.

Last edited by gsoboi78; 03-29-2019 at 03:07 PM..

Old 03-29-2019, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSOCitizen View Post
i always wondered that, the footprint is very small for a city it's size.

Good thing their finally expanding instead of just focusing on elm street.
I think that small footprint is an advantage as it it doesn't take as many projects to have a real impact on downtown, whereas a larger area would require more development to be as noticeable and impactful.

Old 03-29-2019, 03:05 PM

Quote:
The good thing about going vertical is that you can fit more in a smaller space.
Wow! Really?

Quote:
What if Roy Carroll went ahead with the 28 plus story tower on top of the deck?
That would take an economic development announcement bigger than anything since Moses and Ceasar Cone showed up, or we'd know he'd lost his mind.

Quote:
At the same time Carroll could have had room to build a mid-rise development next to that along Eugene St. It would have been like two developments on one site as oppose to just one midrise development.
So two buildings are more than one? Such insight!

Quote:
I don't think you sacrifice ground level activity because you build
taller.
Who does?

Quote:
It's all about density. The more people, the more activity you have on the street.
Once again, the obvious.

Old 03-29-2019, 03:11 PM

37,892 posts, read 41,998,813 times
Quote:
Lots of 6- and 7-story buildings would do wonders for Greensboro's downtown. Charlotte is full of companies that like and have the means and to build trophy towers; Greensboro, not so much--which is fine. Having an awesome downtown isn't dependent on height anyway. I think downtown Charleston is getting the best, highest-quality urban developments in the Carolinas and it doesn't even have a traditional skyline to speak of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point