Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2019, 11:55 AM

1,409 posts, read 1,962,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
And it only took 4 years!
lol, that's true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2019, 12:05 PM

6,161 posts, read 7,230,579 times
If Carroll's proposed development is as big as he says it is, it may take at least that long to build.....

Old 03-31-2019, 03:28 PM

6,799 posts, read 7,388,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
If Carroll's proposed development is as big as he says it is, it may take at least that long to build.....
How long did it take him to build Project 561? Oh wait....

Old 03-31-2019, 03:35 PM

113 posts, read 111,151 times
I mean this is more or less the same project as 561 though it's no longer called that (obviously) it's just been in development hell for several years.

Old 03-31-2019, 03:38 PM

6,799 posts, read 7,388,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCB-CD View Post
I mean this is more or less the same project as 561 though it's no longer called that (obviously) it's just been in development hell for several years.
You know that how?

Old 03-31-2019, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCB-CD View Post
I agree. What ever Carroll had planned for the site the first time is just a revamped version of it. Until Carroll's tweet I assumed he would just build a different mixed-use project there. "The biggest downtown Greensboro development ever" says it all. However until Carroll makes the announcement, we have no information to determine the exact height. Maybe he'll put more residential in it for a taller tower. Then again, maybe Carroll has secured an anchor office tenant so there could be more office. We dont know at this point. Really the only major difference is that we won't be seeing a tower stacked on top of a deck and this is more of a tower with midrise portions spread out. Also we will have to see if he follows through and build a convention/conference center there. In exactly one month from tommorow we will find out and hopefully he'll have some renderings to go with the announcement. Definitely can't wait.

Last edited by gsoboi78; 03-31-2019 at 04:10 PM..

Old 03-31-2019, 04:09 PM

6,120 posts, read 4,613,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
I agree. What ever Carroll had planned for the site the first time is just a revamped version of it. Until Carroll's tweet I assumed he would just build a different mixed-use project there. "The biggest downtown Greensboro development ever" says it all. However until Carroll makes the announcement, we have no information to determine the exact height. Really the only major difference is that we won't be seeing a tower stacked on top of a deck and this is more of a tower with midrise portions spread out. Also we will have to see if he follows through and build a convention/conference center there. In exactly one month from tommorow we will find out.
As much as convention centers can be a boost for downtowns, it would be a bad outcome if a new convention center drew lots of traffic away from the Koury Convention Center as it would be really bad for that side of town, which is struggling as it is, to see a decline in activity. I'm not saying it's a bad thing for downtowns to thrive. It's great, and maybe Greensboro can support multiple convention centers but there are always unintended consequences.

Last edited by Jowel; 03-31-2019 at 04:30 PM..

Old 03-31-2019, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
As much as convention centers can be a boost for downtowns, it would be a bad outcome if a new convention center drew lots of traffic away from the Koury Convention Center as it would be really bad for that side of town, which is struggling as it is, to see a decline in activity. I'm not saying it's a bad thing for downtowns to thrive. It's great, and maybe Greensboro can support multiple convention centers but there's always unintended consequences.
Greensboro has to get the size right so that it's great for downtown but not drain significant business away from the Koury Convention Center. I would say any downtown convention center would be much smaller than the Koury. The biggest I could see it is 100,000 square feet. The Koury is 275,000 square feet. I'm thinking somewhere between 70,000 and 100,000 square feet. Anything less than 70,000 square feet is more like a a hotel ballroom with a few meetings rooms.

Old 03-31-2019, 05:52 PM

388 posts, read 291,745 times
What's going on with the street lighting downtown? I was hanging around downtown around 8pm and it seemed like the street lights weren't as bright or maybe not on in some areas.i first noticed when I was driving thru Lebaurer Park area. The art sculpture wasn't lit up and most of the street looked dark. Driving on thru down was pretty much the same. U could see the restaurants and bars were active and in full swing but the outside lights just seems either off or not bright at all.

Old 03-31-2019, 06:56 PM

113 posts, read 111,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
You know that how?
Uh, it's the same developer, on the same piece of land, with the same public/private concept of a city owed parking deck being built by the city to aid the exact same private developer's large mixed used project. So yeah, it's very clearly just an iteration of the same concept.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point