Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2015, 10:23 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,570,841 times

Advertisements

Lotus? The former location of Gate City Transportation on MLK is perfect for a small grocer, even has parking and a loading dock.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2015, 06:32 PM

6,161 posts, read 7,230,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
Lotus? The former location of Gate City Transportation on MLK is perfect for a small grocer, even has parking and a loading dock.
I thought about that too. Its interesting that you should say that because that building use to be a grocery store back in the 1950s. I wish Trader Joe's had looked at that building if they were considering an urban location. Trader Joes is so popular, you could put one just about anywhere in the city (with exception to really shady areas) and the shoppers will come.

But maybe Zimmerman should have purchased that building. It seems like to me it would be less costly to renovate a building that's already designed to be a grocery store. The lotus lounge could have been converted to a BBQ restaurant with live entertainment or a dinner theater.. BBQ is popular in this state and in the Triad and I'm surprised there is no BBQ restaurant downtown. A dinner theater would be unique for downtown as well. Regardless, Zimmerman's plans for a grocery store is great news. Many cities are trying hard to get one downtown grocery store. Greensboro could have two in its downtown even though the two stores would be different. Deep Rootz has higher prices and is more like a small version of Whole Foods. Zimmerman's grocery store would be more traditional with more affordable prices.

Last edited by gsoboi78; 09-20-2015 at 06:54 PM..

Old 09-20-2015, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
I thought about that too. Its interesting that you should say that because that building use to be a grocery store back in the 1950s. I wish Trader Joe's had looked at that building if they were considering an urban location. Trader Joes is so popular, you could put one just about anywhere in the city (with exception to really shady areas) and the shoppers will come.

But maybe Zimmerman should have purchased that building. It seems like to me it would be less costly to renovate a building that's already designed to be a grocery store. The lotus lounge could have been converted to a BBQ restaurant with live entertainment or a dinner theater.. BBQ is popular in this state and in the Triad and I'm surprised there is no BBQ restaurant downtown. A dinner theater would be unique for downtown as well. Regardless, Zimmerman's plans for a grocery store is great news. Many cities are trying hard to get one downtown grocery store. Greensboro could have two in its downtown even though the two stores would be different. Deep Rootz has higher prices and is more like a small version of Whole Foods. Zimmerman's grocery store would be more traditional with more affordable prices.
Getting groceries into the Lotus would be a major pain for the delivery companies. Don't get me wrong I would love to walk to a Bestway and hope there would be another wall of beer. The owners of Bestway did a fantastic job resurrecting the current location AND they sponsor the Brewsfest.
A barbeque joint would be a welcome idea too.

Old 10-05-2015, 04:30 AM

"Destination development" planned for downtown. The plan includes entertainment/music venue, bars, speakeasy, restaurants and beer garden to be located in the southwestern end of downtown next to the Eugene St bridge. It will extend entertainment options away from South Elm Street in an area of downtown that Action Greensboro had proposed back in 2001 to become a "warehouse entertainment district"

Marty Kotis plans new destination development under Eugene Street bridge - Greensboro News & Record: Business

Old 10-06-2015, 05:53 PM

1,409 posts, read 1,962,062 times
Quote:
"Destination development" planned for downtown. The plan includes entertainment/music venue, bars, speakeasy, restaurants and beer garden to be located in the southwestern end of downtown next to the Eugene St bridge. It will extend entertainment options away from South Elm Street in an area of downtown that Action Greensboro had proposed back in 2001 to become a "warehouse entertainment district"

Marty Kotis plans new destination development under Eugene Street bridge - Greensboro News & Record: Business
And it begins, they're trying to move the entire entertainment segment of Elm street to this entertainment district. Is my thought on this, i'm sure they want elm to be like any other street in a city, residential and office only.

Old 10-06-2015, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSOCitizen View Post
And it begins, they're trying to move the entire entertainment segment of Elm street to this entertainment district. Is my thought on this, i'm sure they want elm to be like any other street in a city, residential and office only.
No I think they are finally creating an entertainment/restaurant district and not just an entertainment strip. I've always said the vibrancy and nightlife need to spread out a little away from South Elm St.

Old 10-06-2015, 09:01 PM

Quote:
No I think they are finally creating an entertainment/restaurant district and not just an entertainment strip. I've always said the vibrancy and nightlife need to spread out a little away from South Elm St.
Agreed. The entertainment in the 5 years I have lived here has changed quite a bit. Before Mellow Mushroom opened hardly anyone crossed the tracks. Since that time there have been several projects that have brought people across the tracks. I think a project like Kotis is proposing is good for downtown.

Old 10-11-2015, 04:31 PM

85 posts, read 168,311 times
I reported a month or so back that a new planned brewery was planned at the vacant battleground/smith street corner where a previous mixed use building was supposed to be built. An update on this planned brewery has been confirmed and it will be named JoyMongers Brewing Company. Construction to start at beginning of next month and will be hopefully open by late spring of next year.

Breaking: New brewery planned downtown Greensboro | Triad City Beat

Also, a new restaurant called Blue Denim will open in the old Thai Pan spot on S. Elm Street.

Blue Denim coming to downtown Greensboro - Greensboro News & Record: Short Orders

Old 10-11-2015, 07:20 PM

Looks like a restaurant \brewery district is quickly emerging in the north end of downtown thanks to the ballpark and all the new apartments.

Old 10-13-2015, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yinzer2 View Post
I reported a month or so back that a new planned brewery was planned at the vacant battleground/smith street corner where a previous mixed use building was supposed to be built. An update on this planned brewery has been confirmed and it will be named JoyMongers Brewing Company. Construction to start at beginning of next month and will be hopefully open by late spring of next year.

Breaking: New brewery planned downtown Greensboro | Triad City Beat

Also, a new restaurant called Blue Denim will open in the old Thai Pan spot on S. Elm Street.

Blue Denim coming to downtown Greensboro - Greensboro News & Record: Short Orders
Not going to let Thai Pan get cold huh?
Anyone know what is going to occupy Zen? Unlike the last two failures since Zen there is construction happening in that space.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point