Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2015, 01:46 PM

4,639 posts, read 6,381,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderTheLiveOaks View Post
That's interesting. I was also wondering if it had been a while since you'd been. Different strokes, I guess. I've had really good experiences in downtown Raleigh over the last few years.
I was also there in March for a weekend and I've never experienced more, or more aggressive, panhandlers anywhere. And with virtually no one else on the streets, it felt very unsafe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2015, 02:01 PM

7,331 posts, read 15,385,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
I was also there in March for a weekend and I've never experienced more, or more aggressive, panhandlers anywhere. And with virtually no one else on the streets, it felt very unsafe.
Right on. Obviously experiences vary. I don't recall having that problem, but maybe too many years in big cities left me numb. And the streets never struck me as deserted, but most of my time there was in the summer months, so maybe that had something to do with it.

Old 12-07-2015, 02:38 PM

464 posts, read 523,368 times
Quote:
Yep, sure did. In response to other posters who brought Raleigh into the conversation first. I'm not the one who needs to be told what to post. Thanks though.
Reading through the last couple of pages, I didn't see where anyone took a jab at Greensboro, so when I read your comment, it came off as defensive and out of place. I've visted every major city/town in NC (except Fayetteville and Asheville) and have come to a place of admiration for the state. I moved from the Alexandria/DC area and have family in Richmond. DT Raleigh doesn't feel like a joke to me, especially with all the construction and planning going on. That's a narrative some members of this site hold on to though, and that's fine lol. Your welcome

Last edited by epicene101; 12-07-2015 at 03:31 PM..

Old 12-07-2015, 06:43 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,561,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikkiBO View Post
Yeah, like I said above, I meant AsheVILLE not AsheBORO. sorry
Lucky for you nobody from the Western forum hangs out here, there might be a fight.

Old 12-07-2015, 11:24 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,034,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
How so? This is the Hornets D-league team; folks in Charlotte have the real deal and folks in Raleigh have Duke and UNC basketball. A team like this has to rely on the local population for support. The good thing with Greensboro is that it has Winston-Salem right next door as an additonal source of support.

Exactly...a D-League team is not going to draw anyone from Raleigh or Charlotte and barely anyone from as far as Winston-Salem. It's going to be a local thing that may draw a couple of thousand if they are lucky. It might be fun to see a big name player rehabbing or something like that, but for the most part it will be players who aren't quite good enough to make the NBA. I would go if it were nearby, but I wouldn't go far for it - and that's from a major basketball fan. If I wanted big-time basketball I would drive the 45 minutes to Charlotte, not the 30 minutes to Greensboro. Besides, we have Wake basketball in Winston-Salem and it has improved enough to draw more interest now.

Old 12-07-2015, 11:27 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,034,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderTheLiveOaks View Post
That's interesting. I was also wondering if it had been a while since you'd been. Different strokes, I guess. I've had really good experiences in downtown Raleigh over the last few years.

Same here...it's just sour grapes. Some folks feel the need to put other cities down for whatever reason, and NikkiBo's comment was uncalled for as well. I will just never understand responding to a derogatory comment by doing the same thing.

Downtown Raleigh has come a LONG way over the past 20 years, and the same goes for almost every other large NC city. Raleigh, Charlotte, Greensboro, Durham, and Winston-Salem (and others I'm sure) have all made significant improvements to their downtowns in recent years.

Old 12-08-2015, 04:41 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,381,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
Same here...it's just sour grapes. Some folks feel the need to put other cities down for whatever reason, and NikkiBo's comment was uncalled for as well.
Not on my part. Just my observation and opinion, based on my actual experience with Raleigh and other cities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
I will just never understand responding to a derogatory comment by doing the same thing.
Yet, you just did that. LOL

Old 12-08-2015, 10:27 AM

6,157 posts, read 7,223,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
Lucky for you nobody from the Western forum hangs out here, there might be a fight.
I can think of one particular poster lol

Old 12-08-2015, 10:48 AM

1,545 posts, read 1,874,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
How so? This is the Hornets D-league team; folks in Charlotte have the real deal and folks in Raleigh have Duke and UNC basketball. A team like this has to rely on the local population for support. The good thing with Greensboro is that it has Winston-Salem right next door as an additonal source of support.
I don't mean that people from Raleigh and Charlotte will drive to Greensboro for new D-league games but people from surrounding areas in between them might, well not just for the game but what ever else might be going on.

Old 12-08-2015, 10:50 AM

1,545 posts, read 1,874,252 times
Quote:
I was there for 3 days in October of this year.
Whelp fair enough, we all have our opinions, I don't think it's the best(honestly like Durham's more) but don't think it's lacking and that it is headed in the right direction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point