Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2019, 07:02 PM

6,799 posts, read 7,388,775 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCB-CD View Post
Uh, it's the same developer, on the same piece of land, with the same public/private concept of a city owed parking deck being built by the city to aid the exact same private developer's large mixed used project. So yeah, it's very clearly just an iteration of the same concept.
So it will be the tallest building in the state not in Charlotte?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2019, 07:28 PM

113 posts, read 111,151 times
Based on the fact I said it is an iteration of it I have no idea how tall it will be, but if it will make you happy, yes. Yes it will be.

Old 03-31-2019, 10:50 PM

6,161 posts, read 7,230,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadfromnc_2000 View Post
What's going on with the street lighting downtown? I was hanging around downtown around 8pm and it seemed like the street lights weren't as bright or maybe not on in some areas.i first noticed when I was driving thru Lebaurer Park area. The art sculpture wasn't lit up and most of the street looked dark. Driving on thru down was pretty much the same. U could see the restaurants and bars were active and in full swing but the outside lights just seems either off or not bright at all.
Not quite sure but I also noticed the art sculpture was not lit. My one complaint about lighting is that its not consistent. There are too many different kinds of light posts and some along north Elm Street need to be updated. They were installed sometime in the 1980s. I noticed the ones around the Tanger Center and Carroll at Bellemeade are like the ones the city installed along Gate City Blvd between the coliseum and the Koury Convention Center.

Old 04-01-2019, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCB-CD View Post
Based on the fact I said it is an iteration of it I have no idea how tall it will be, but if it will make you happy, yes. Yes it will be.
You said it will be "more or less the same project". Just trying to understand what you mean by that.

Last edited by BC1960; 04-01-2019 at 05:21 AM..

Old 04-01-2019, 10:58 AM

1,206 posts, read 1,058,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
You said it will be "more or less the same project". Just trying to understand what you mean by that.
I'm guessing he means that it'll have a similar spread of office, hotel, residential, etc space as the previous project. But I don't think that'll be the case at all. I really doubt there will be any office space at all (or not very much). There just isn't demand for that.

Frankly, I'm not sure why there's a belief that there's this huge demand for hotel space either. The one large hotel that is established has been struggling, a new one was just built in the last month, a third (Hampton Inn and Suites) is in process of being built, and yet a fourth (Westin) is supposedly in the pipeline (but seems to be stalled... what a shock).

The only way all of this development makes sense is if it will be eventually (next 3-5 years) be replacing that struggling Marriott (potentially for a tower in the relatively distant future, but more likely for mid-rise infill development).

As for Carroll's new apparent proposal, I'm interested to see what it is. But I'd say odds favor it never coming to fruition (or coming to fruition at a much smaller scale than will be proposed in a month).

Old 04-01-2019, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRVT View Post
I'm guessing he means that it'll have a similar spread of office, hotel, residential, etc space as the previous project. But I don't think that'll be the case at all. I really doubt there will be any office space at all (or not very much). There just isn't demand for that.

Frankly, I'm not sure why there's a belief that there's this huge demand for hotel space either. The one large hotel that is established has been struggling, a new one was just built in the last month, a third (Hampton Inn and Suites) is in process of being built, and yet a fourth (Westin) is supposedly in the pipeline (but seems to be stalled... what a shock).

The only way all of this development makes sense is if it will be eventually (next 3-5 years) be replacing that struggling Marriott (potentially for a tower in the relatively distant future, but more likely for mid-rise infill development).

As for Carroll's new apparent proposal, I'm interested to see what it is. But I'd say odds favor it never coming to fruition (or coming to fruition at a much smaller scale than will be proposed in a month).
I agree with this, especially the bolded portions.

Old 04-01-2019, 01:42 PM

511 posts, read 511,555 times
I happen to believe that downtown can support a few extra hotels considering that there are 23 hotels near the I-40/68 interchange. I understand that it's right off the highway and near the airport. But it's TWENTY THREE! I think downtown can have more than 2.

Old 04-01-2019, 01:57 PM

1,206 posts, read 1,058,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebermudatriad View Post
I happen to believe that downtown can support a few extra hotels considering that there are 23 hotels near the I-40/68 interchange. I understand that it's right off the highway and near the airport. But it's TWENTY THREE! I think downtown can have more than 2.
Before proposing more hotels continue to be built (usually with significant taxpayer expense), why don't we see what happens with the sudden addition of at least two hotels (three in the unlikely event the Westin is built)? Again, the hotel that had previously been in place wasn't exactly booked solid. More hotels isn't going to increase that demand.

Old 04-01-2019, 03:26 PM

6,161 posts, read 7,230,579 times
I think we need to wait and see what Carroll is now proposing before we start negatively judging it. We have no idea at this point. Is there is significant office space? Maybe Carroll has found an anchor tenant. It just baffles me as to why People judge what can be built in downtown Greensboro as if we are a city the size of Burlington. The Marriott has been a failure because its too big for downtown. Its like Joe Koury building a 2,000 room hotel with his convention center off of I-40. Of course its going to fail because its too big to fill up rooms for one single hotel. But at the same time, the smaller nearby hotels would continue to thrive. Downtown Greensboro doesn't have a convention center so at this point it doesn't make sense for a hotel to have over 200 rooms. The Marriott has about 300 rooms. Smaller hotels between 100 and 180 rooms on the high end makes sense. I think downtown could support a few more on top of what's already being built or will be built in the upcoming months particularly if downtown gets a small convention center.

One thing is for certain. Carroll says its the biggest downtown Greensboro development ever so there must be something to it. We don't know what the ratio of office space, residential and hotel will be. If he builds it tall, he may have a much higher ratio of apartments. Just because its tall, that doesn’t mean its going to be some massive office tower.

Last edited by gsoboi78; 04-01-2019 at 03:47 PM..

Old 04-01-2019, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
I think we need to wait and see what Carroll is now proposing before we start negatively judging it.
How about before positively judging it?

Last edited by BC1960; 04-01-2019 at 05:21 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point