Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2019, 07:21 PM

1,459 posts, read 1,164,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
How about before positively judging it?
That will go right over the head.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2019, 07:11 AM

511 posts, read 511,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRVT View Post
Before proposing more hotels continue to be built (usually with significant taxpayer expense), why don't we see what happens with the sudden addition of at least two hotels (three in the unlikely event the Westin is built)? Again, the hotel that had previously been in place wasn't exactly booked solid. More hotels isn't going to increase that demand.
Perhaps they're not viewing downtown as it's own bubble, but looking at the demand for hotels in all of Greensboro. Their vision could be to compete with other non-downtown hotels in the city. I would prefer to stay downtown over some hotel right off the highway. But if I saw the downtown Marriott and Biltmore Hotel were my only 2 options for downtown, I'd probably stay off the highway. I'm okay with them trying to lure more visitors downtown. I'm not saying they should recklessly build hotels and hope it works out. But I think a few could work. I'm just still blown away from discovering that there are 23 hotels off the 40/68 exit.

Old 04-02-2019, 07:41 AM

6,157 posts, read 7,224,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebermudatriad View Post
Perhaps they're not viewing downtown as it's own bubble, but looking at the demand for hotels in all of Greensboro. Their vision could be to compete with other non-downtown hotels in the city. I would prefer to stay downtown over some hotel right off the highway. But if I saw the downtown Marriott and Biltmore Hotel were my only 2 options for downtown, I'd probably stay off the highway. I'm okay with them trying to lure more visitors downtown. I'm not saying they should recklessly build hotels and hope it works out. But I think a few could work. I'm just still blown away from discovering that there are 23 hotels off the 40/68 exit.
And trends are changing. Visitors and business travelers want to be downtown where they can walk to restaurants and attractions during their off time. But their will always be a desire for off highway hotels as well.

Old 04-02-2019, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post

....also they have raised the "where we met" lighted sculpture over the LeBauer Park lawn. Safe to say we won't be getting any more frozen precipitation that could damage it.
Spoke too soon....it's snowing

Old 04-02-2019, 02:20 PM

241 posts, read 237,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebermudatriad View Post

Great point. Also, the Performing Arts Center is estimated to bring 300,000 visitors to downtown annually at minimum, many of whom will be from out of town so you can bet demand for nearby hotels will only grow.

Old 04-02-2019, 06:27 PM

Would have been nice if the Koury Convention Center had been built downtown to begin with. 1,000 rooms its a pretty big hotel.
Originally it was the Holiday Inn Four Seasons. But unfortunately when the convention center was built in 1990, downtown was a ghost town. The 28 story tower was built on top of the convention center in 1994.

Its the tallest hotel (single use building) in North Carolina

Excellent view of downtown though.

Last edited by gsoboi78; 04-02-2019 at 06:42 PM..

Old 04-02-2019, 07:21 PM

Then and now a lot of apartments since then.

Image courtesy of Kevin Rucker.

Old 04-02-2019, 07:49 PM

32 posts, read 27,811 times
Nice photos. I like the contrast in the photos showing how the baseball stadium area looked as it was being constructed versus the current view with the mid rise apartments and the Hyatt Place. Gsoboi78, can you add the proposed hotel/office tower and parking deck to the photo? I remember that months ago you added a depiction of the proposed Project 561 to the downtown skyline.

Old 04-02-2019, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRay324 View Post
Nice photos. I like the contrast in the photos showing how the baseball stadium area looked as it was being constructed versus the current view with the mid rise apartments and the Hyatt Place. Gsoboi78, can you add the proposed hotel/office tower and parking deck to the photo? I remember that months ago you added a depiction of the proposed Project 561 to the downtown skyline.
I could try but I don't have my graphics software any more. I may have to use photo paint.

Old 04-02-2019, 07:54 PM

32 posts, read 27,811 times
Also, add Project Slugger if you can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point