Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2017, 04:12 PM

6,161 posts, read 7,229,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
Ok here is the latest info on the Westin Greensboro. According to the Rhino Times which got its information from the city, the parking deck will be 6-stories. The Westin hotel will be 11-stories which will sit on top of the south end of the deck. This means the Westin hotel will stand 17-stories tall. The city will own the deck but the Westin will control the mixed-use component on the first floor of the deck. It is expected to be retail, office and maybe restaurants. So my guess about the number of floors on the deck was right but it looks like 3 floors were added to the hotel.
Here is the link GSOCitizen. Page 11 and 14. It may be the 4th or 5th tallest downtown. The Lincoln Financial Building has 20 floors but its about 26 or 27 stories tall. The Wells Fargo tower is 25 stories tall with the pyramid top. The Renaissance Plaza tower is 19 stories and Center Pointe is 16 stories. Office tower floors are typically higher than residential or hotel tower floors but it would depend on how high the Westin floors will be. The 6 stories of parking deck floors will give it a little boost in height and I would imagine the hotel floors may be consistant with the other office towers if they are going with loftier ceilings. It should be the height of the 17 story portion of the Lincoln Financial Tower which was built in 1923. The Westin will certainly be a dominant building in Greensboro's skyline in terms of height. I think once Project 561 is built along with Roy Carroll's mystery mixed use Aloft project, and other rumored residential towers in addition to something tall being built on the News and Record property, Greensboro's skyline will change dramatically and could be equally or more impressive than some peers cities like Winston-Salem. We still don't know if the Aloft is part of project 561 or whether it will be a mixed use Aloft/residential highrise. Either way you look at it, his $90 million project will be tall based on the price and lot sizes of both of his two other downtown properties (Aloft site and next to Center Pointe). Carroll at Bellemeade is a midrise development that stretches a few blocks and its $65 million. The $90 million project just might be Project 561. I looked at an old news clip and he mentioned project 561 will be a $ 90 to $ 100 million project. What ever it is, he currently has it in actual design phase which indicates he moving forward with it. Carroll also said he's working on other hotel projects so the Westin, Aloft, Hyatt Place and Hampton Inn may only be the tip of the iceberg. It won't be long before city leaders start pushing for a large downtown conference center or convention center to help support all these hotels. Developer Marty Kotis already brought the idea up for something like that being a part of the News and Record property development. But can Greensboro support two convention centers? Its possible. There are enough conventions being planned to have more than one convention going on at the same time.

Rhino Times

Last edited by gsoboi78; 04-29-2017 at 05:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2017, 11:27 PM

through my investigation on downtown projects I found a website that appears to show a rendering of the Westin Greensboro from Davie Street. The website is in Chinese but my mobile device translated it into English. The design shows 8 stories over a 6 story parking deck so I'm not sure how old the rendering is itself but there is a 2016 date next to the rendering. The Rhino is reporting 11-stories over a 6 story parking deck. Obviously the rendering is outdated being that the deck it will sit on will cross over the street and extend a block. In terms of the design itself, it may or may not be the final design.

But even in this rendering you can see retail and restaurants on the ground level of the deck. It looks like CJMW Architecture of Winston-Salem is designing the hotel.

???EB-5??????(?????)???...-?????-??????????

rendering
http://i1225.photobucket.com/albums/...sboro/640.jpeg

Last edited by gsoboi78; 05-02-2017 at 11:57 PM..

Old 05-03-2017, 01:16 AM

1,409 posts, read 1,961,753 times
I hope not, that's hideous, does not look like a westin.

Old 05-03-2017, 04:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSOCitizen View Post
I hope not, that's hideous, does not look like a westin.
My guess is that it is not. Other downtown projects have had a number of design changes. The performing arts center had six design changes. This design would be the second for this project and looks a little too plain to be the final design. We know there will be design changes anyway with the new parking deck configuration.it could be a placeholder design. Roy Carroll did that with Center Pointe on a website. The final design looked entirely different from what he had posted online. This is probably why Randall Kaplan has not publicly revealed renderings

Last edited by gsoboi78; 05-03-2017 at 04:58 AM..

Old 05-04-2017, 01:19 PM

6,799 posts, read 7,387,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
Ground has been broken for the Steven Tanger Center for the Performing Arts.

Greensboro breaks ground for Tanger Center (Video) | Blog: Go Triad - A&E Extra | greensboro.com
Groundbreaking? Yes. But no final budget has been approved by council, no work permits have been secured, no construction contract is in place and no date has been set to begin construction of Phase I.

Old 05-04-2017, 10:32 PM

Big plans for the Aloft site across from the ballpark are slowly being revealed. In addition to the Westin there are two other high-rises in the works. According to the Rhino Times, Greensboro City Council voted in favor of building a 1,050 space 8 story parking deck on the Aloft site which developer Roy Carroll owns. The council agenda notes there are plans to build a 15 to 20 story mixed use building on top of the parking deck which would include a hotel (Aloft). In addition there are plans for a 100,000 square foot office building adjacent to the parking deck. With that amount of square footage on a tight site, it likely will also be a high-rise. The mixed-use skyscraper will lease 450 spaces while the office tower will lease 350 spaces. All of this will be overlooking the ballpark. It's going to be quite an urban setting around the ballpark with the towers/Aloft Hotel to the south and Carroll at Bellemeade/Hyatt Place to the east.

Rhino Times - 2017-05-04

Last edited by gsoboi78; 05-04-2017 at 11:41 PM..

Old 05-05-2017, 01:16 PM

I cannot find the article at all. can you point to where it is? but still it all sounds promising

Old 05-05-2017, 01:18 PM

511 posts, read 511,443 times
Quote:
I cannot find the article at all. can you point to where it is? but still it all sounds promising
It's on page 11.

Old 05-05-2017, 02:00 PM

Very good news, That's three confirmed highrises, one of course being project 561.

From now on as a precaution please give the article page along with any other useful direct links to said article.

but nice job cityboy.

Old 05-05-2017, 02:48 PM

Quote:

Very good news, That's three confirmed highrises, one of course being project 561.

From now on as a precaution please give the article page along with any other useful direct links to said article.

but nice job cityboy.
You must have missed it i had posted the link below my post. It says Rhino Times.

The city is entering a similar agreement with the Westin and the parking deck beneath it. Like the Westin deck, the deck at Eugene and Bellemeade will also have street level retail and restaurants and it will be right across the street from the stadium. What I like about the Aloft hotel being in the mixed use tower is that it wont be one of those cookie cutter airport style alofts with the sloped roof. It may have some architectural cues to let you know there is an Aloft there. I expect the design is going to be great. This must be the $90 million project Carroll was referring to and he stated he instructed his architects to give it a wow factor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point