Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2017, 12:01 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,570,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
DGI will do a residential study downtown to show yo developers there is strong residential demand downtown.

Downtown Greensboro Incorporated to study downtown residential | myfox8.com
I partially agree with this, and this can be the issue with 'focusing.'
Downtown needs not only full time residents, but also attract people from other parts of the city. To focus solely on downtown residents patronizing downtown businesses is like saying only those who can walk to Friendly Center will shop at Friendly Center.
The city also needs to bring jobs that will allow people to afford downtown life. I live here; its not cheap, it's a niche, dollar to dollar you get more real estate bang from a house, condos are a poor investment, and the jobs that are currently coming to downtown don't pay to support a downtown life.
Look on Zillow at prices for Center Pointe and other condos in the area. Much more need to be done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2017, 12:10 PM

6,161 posts, read 7,230,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
I partially agree with this, and this can be the issue with 'focusing.'
Downtown needs not only full time residents, but also attract people from other parts of the city. To focus solely on downtown residents patronizing downtown businesses is like saying only those who can walk to Friendly Center will shop at Friendly Center.
The city also needs to bring jobs that will allow people to afford downtown life. I live here; its not cheap, it's a niche, dollar to dollar you get more real estate bang from a house, condos are a poor investment, and the jobs that are currently coming to downtown don't pay to support a downtown life.
Look on Zillow at prices for Center Pointe and other condos in the area. Much more need to be done.
I agree. Not too many people are going to buy a 700 square foot condo for $200,000 in Greensboro. However there is a high demand for apartments. But you are right. The key to getting those large scale downtown condo developments is attracting higher paying jobs to the city. In terms of downtown office development, adding more residential will help but one idea is to make downtown a special district and come up with an incentive program that will attract office development downtown the way we use incentives to attract companies to the city. Incentives will help offset additional costs that make it difficult to pull off large office projects in the center city. Parking structures and building vertical is expensive not to mention the land is more expensive downtown.

Old 02-17-2017, 09:01 AM

185 posts, read 199,435 times
This is just my personal opinion but I myself would never pay the high asking price to live downtown Greensboro. It's not nyc. U still need a car to get to grocery shops and to stores like Target. There's only a handful of resturants downtown too and no 24 hr entertainment so to speak . I'd rather pay the lower cost to live in a house 15 or 20 min from downtown then an expensive condo that would offer views of a ghost town on most wk nights..

Old 02-17-2017, 10:01 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,388,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadfromnc View Post
This is just my personal opinion but I myself would never pay the high asking price to live downtown Greensboro. It's not nyc. U still need a car to get to grocery shops and to stores like Target. There's only a handful of resturants downtown too and no 24 hr entertainment so to speak . I'd rather pay the lower cost to live in a house 15 or 20 min from downtown then an expensive condo that would offer views of a ghost town on most wk nights..
So glad you clarified that you're not speaking for all of humanity...for a minute there I thought you were. So G'boro isn't New York City?! Really? I could have sworn they were one and the same. You must have big hands to hold all the downtown restaurants in them...close to 80. One needs a car if they live d'town...so what? One needs a car to live anywhere in G'boro. Where in G'boro do you find 24 hour entertainment?

I lived downtown 15 years ago and loved it...I'm sure its much better now.

Old 02-17-2017, 10:11 AM

6,161 posts, read 7,230,579 times
I live downtown so I can say downtown has come a long way over the past 15 to 20 years. Yes downtown still has a ways to go but I can tell you that with the downtown amenities its worth living downtown and there are quite a few restaurants downtown. I think the focus really needs to be on streetscaping and expanding activity beyond a block east and west of Elm Street. There are 99 blocks downtown

Old 02-17-2017, 10:21 AM

185 posts, read 199,435 times
I do think once the performance arts center gets built that it will add a lil more spice to the downtown area!!! Wish they would add some of the pop up parking space garden/ sitting areas not sure what they are called. That would be neat too.

Old 02-17-2017, 12:49 PM

1,206 posts, read 1,058,104 times
I also think that once Carroll at Bellmeade is built that that will help breath some life into downtown. The problem is somewhat chicken/egg, but I think Downtown Greensboro is starting to make the leap. I actually hope that there's some focus on some further mixed use down near the stadium. Maybe a small strip of restaurants/bars/breweries right there would be nice, especially on gamedays. Have a 7:00 game? Park your car at 5:30, grab a brew and a burger across from the stadium, walk the short distance to the stadium and partake in a ballgame. Sounds like a pretty good evening.

The A-Loft should also help move those kinds of developments along.

Old 02-17-2017, 01:01 PM

6,799 posts, read 7,388,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRVT View Post
I also think that once Carroll at Bellmeade is built that that will help breath some life into downtown. The problem is somewhat chicken/egg, but I think Downtown Greensboro is starting to make the leap. I actually hope that there's some focus on some further mixed use down near the stadium. Maybe a small strip of restaurants/bars/breweries right there would be nice, especially on gamedays. Have a 7:00 game? Park your car at 5:30, grab a brew and a burger across from the stadium, walk the short distance to the stadium and partake in a ballgame. Sounds like a pretty good evening.
You can do that now. Joymonger's Brewing is cattycorner from the stadium outfield.

Old 02-17-2017, 07:15 PM

1,206 posts, read 1,058,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
You can do that now. Joymonger's Brewing is cattycorner from the stadium outfield.
It's about a two block walk (which I'm fine with) to get from Joymonger's to the nearest stadium entrance. Preyer and Crafted about another block away.

Ideally, there would have been some ground floor retain in Carroll at Bellmeade though. It's right there by the stadium, not to mention a good number of apartment units above them. Maybe there will be some space left over after A-Loft is built to build a small section of retail there. Then you don't have to walk the few blocks, you walk from the parking lot to the establishment and from the establishment to the park across the street. With games about 70 days/nights a year, there would be a lot of natural times when there would be increased traffic. And with the hotels/apartments, you have more options within walking distance for those residents/guests.

That said, I just moved to the area about 6-7 months ago. I look forward to catching my first Grasshoppers game this year.

Old 02-17-2017, 09:04 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,570,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadfromnc View Post
That's the beauty of it IMO. You get a break from the noise an bustle. I can sit out on my balcony without the continuous bombardment of noise. As was pointed out earlier NONE of Greensboro is like NYC and if downtown were like NYC there would be NYC prices to back it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRVT View Post
It's about a two block walk (which I'm fine with) to get from Joymonger's to the nearest stadium entrance. Preyer and Crafted about another block away.

Ideally, there would have been some ground floor retain in Carroll at Bellmeade though. It's right there by the stadium, not to mention a good number of apartment units above them. Maybe there will be some space left over after A-Loft is built to build a small section of retail there. Then you don't have to walk the few blocks, you walk from the parking lot to the establishment and from the establishment to the park across the street. With games about 70 days/nights a year, there would be a lot of natural times when there would be increased traffic. And with the hotels/apartments, you have more options within walking distance for those residents/guests.

That said, I just moved to the area about 6-7 months ago. I look forward to catching my first Grasshoppers game this year.
You sound kind of lazy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point