Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2016, 10:36 PM

1,409 posts, read 1,962,062 times

Advertisements

Look at how far behind the proposed wyndham hotel tower is, the lot is still vacant.. Downtown Greensboro contractors seem to take forever on projects that arent under roy carrolls name.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2016, 10:51 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,570,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
Is the Tanger Center construction a little behind schedule? I thought construction was suppose to begin this past summer?
Are you slipping dude? You seem to be in the know for all these projects.
Anyway I found this:
http://www.greensboro-nc.gov/modules...cumentid=31969

From what it reads construction should start in January.

Old 11-19-2016, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSOCitizen View Post
Look at how far behind the proposed wyndham hotel tower is, the lot is still vacant.. Downtown Greensboro contractors seem to take forever on projects that arent under roy carrolls name.
I would presume they may be waiting on completion of the PAC.
You may be mistaken with your location. The Wyndham is supposed to go behind the Elm Center.

Old 11-20-2016, 06:59 AM

6,161 posts, read 7,230,579 times
Ok I was wondering, because there has already been a few delays on the Tanger Center. It will be great to see construction finally begin. As far as the Wyndham Greensboro Hotel, the performing arts center, while not the only factor, is a big factor in why this hotel is being built. So it's likely a timing issue. We may hear some news about this hotel next year and based on GSOcitizens conversation with Roy Carroll, we may hear some exciting news about Project 561. My only concern is the outcome of the presidential election. I'm concerned certain policies put in place on the national level will hurt the economy and hinder the development of projects such as 561. I could go on and on about the danger and fear of the upcoming adminstration but im not going there. Remember the high-rise (18-stories) federal courthouse that was proposed for downtown Greensboro? The Bush administration killed all funding for federal courthouse projects all over the country, including Greensboro. It's been 10 years and appears that the courthouse proposal is dead for the foreseeable future. Another example is the housing crisis during the end of the Bush administration. It basically halted any plans for residential construction in downtown Greensboro. We have only recently seen a wave of downtown residential construction but even then they are rental units, not condos or townhomes. So national politics does affect local development and that's why I'm concerned about some planned downtown projects.

Last edited by gsoboi78; 11-20-2016 at 07:10 AM..

Old 11-20-2016, 01:46 PM

GSOboi, i have some interesting photos for you in this update.

First of all, thank you for all the interesting posts and replies, with nearly 60.000 views and 500 replies this remains the highest replied and 2nd highest viewed thread on the Triad forums as a whole, which is great news, because it gets Greensboro and the triad out there, so i really apreciate you all for taking the time to read and post, thank you.

Hello city data, i realise i have not properly updated my thread in awhile, so since some time has past, Today was an excelent day, perfect weather, perfect carolina blue sky, so what better way to celebrate it; than go downtown and take pictures of all the new construction.

First we start with bellemeade village, the structure is well above ground, the basement level consists of 2 stories, including a underground/above ground parking, with a 6 story structure on top. Today they erected the metal bracing, the center peice of the hyatt place conference hotel. I must say it looks nice.

This gives you an overall idea of how tall the structure is to street level, a good height that will dominate any other block in the growing ball park area. will also bring a very dense urban atmosphere, aswell as dramtically expanding and changing the overall look and feel of this once desolate and practically abandoned portion of downtown, as it organically meshes into the nearby office towers.

Street level with newer apartments in the foreground, beside Grasshopper stadium.

If you are considering a move to downtown, you definitely have a broad range of choices when it comes to downtown living.

In this view, what was once a few scatered businesses,an old run down 70's chevorlet dealer and an "urban" Church. Is now bustling with new life, forward thinkers and progress.

Following my recent run in with Mr. Carroll, And our talks of P561, the project 561 lot (aka Greensboros first "Supertall" Skyscraper proposal) is now seeing some interesting activity aswell, the property by Carroll signs have been removed, cones have been placed and light contractor vehicles sit on the lot adjacent to bellemeade. I also witnissed city workers measuring from the middle of the property to the street.

Very interesting indeed...

Moving on to Gpac, not much if at anything has been changed, the lot is still bare. A far cry from this...

But moving on to university square, progress is moving along smoothly as the preparation for phase 2 of the project is nearly complete, which calls for 4 mid rise buildings, 1 proposed 10 story hotel and a parking garage, phase 1 building+ art park is complete as pictured below, with phase two across the street... which used to be a dog park.

Phase two construction lot. Teaming with activity.

Moving on up a couple of blocks, the hostile take over of gate city boulevard courtesy of UNCG kicked into overdriver, as mid rise apartments seem to pop up block after block

Multiplex venue, the Morehead Foundry (or what ilike to call GSO Landing) has also gained momentum, offering live music, eatteries and assorted venues.

Thank you for reading/veiwing my update, i look forward to updating in the near future.

Old 11-20-2016, 03:07 PM

Thanks for the photo update. I took some photos of Carroll at Bellemeade last weekend. Didn't get around to posting them yet but I see within the last few days they have erected a taller steel section.

Old 11-20-2016, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Ok I was wondering, because there has already been a few delays on the Tanger Center. It will be great to see construction finally begin. As far as the Wyndham Greensboro Hotel, the performing arts center, while not the only factor, is a big factor in why this hotel is being built. So it's likely a timing issue. We may hear some news about this hotel next year and based on GSOcitizens conversation with Roy Carroll, we may hear some exciting news about Project 561. My only concern is the outcome of the presidential election. I'm concerned certain policies put in place on the national level will hurt the economy and hinder the development of projects such as 561. I could go on and on about the danger and fear of the upcoming adminstration but im not going there. Remember the high-rise (18-stories) federal courthouse that was proposed for downtown Greensboro? The Bush administration killed all funding for federal courthouse projects all over the country, including Greensboro. It's been 10 years and appears that the courthouse proposal is dead for the foreseeable future. Another example is the housing crisis during the end of the Bush administration. It basically halted any plans for residential construction in downtown Greensboro. We have only recently seen a wave of downtown residential construction but even then they are rental units, not condos or townhomes. So national politics does affect local development and that's why I'm concerned about some planned downtown projects.
The President elect doesn't bother me as much as the governor does. A president may be able to get jobs created so to speak but, it's up to state and, most importantly, local gov to get those jobs to come here. After seeing McCrory's so called "common sense" policies I'm more concerned a 2nd term with him will damage the state and Greensboro even further than Trump may or may not.
Going back to jobs- IMO the reason for so many apts as opposed to condos isn't as much as the housing bust as it is demographics. In order to get people to pay and live the downtown lifestyle there needs to be an abundance of jobs that pay downtown lifestyle wages. Center Pointe, for example, is mostly leased. I would venture a guess this is why he has shifted to building apartments for the time being. The cool thing about apartments is all you need is to deed each unit and presto, you have condos.

Old 11-20-2016, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
The President elect doesn't bother me as much as the governor does. A president may be able to get jobs created so to speak but, it's up to state and, most importantly, local gov to get those jobs to come here. After seeing McCrory's so called "common sense" policies I'm more concerned a 2nd term with him will damage the state and Greensboro even further than Trump may or may not.
Going back to jobs- IMO the reason for so many apts as opposed to condos isn't as much as the housing bust as it is demographics. In order to get people to pay and live the downtown lifestyle there needs to be an abundance of jobs that pay downtown lifestyle wages. Center Pointe, for example, is mostly leased. I would venture a guess this is why he has shifted to building apartments for the time being. The cool thing about apartments is all you need is to deed each unit and presto, you have condos.
Looks like Roy Cooper is up in the votes so we may not have to worry about a second term. In regards to the performing arts center. The design is great but it's not a stellar design. I actually like the design below better. It was designed by another architecture firm, Apicella Bunton Architects , who was competing for the design contract. Apicella was one of the two finalist but H3 Architects won out with the current design. I'm sure the reason had to do with staying under budget because I can see how a design like this could easily push the price tag to close to $100 million. Its pushing $80 million as it is and DPAC in Durham was a $40 million facility. The design below depicts a larger and slightly taller building and has a more dramatic front facade. This design would have really raised some eyebrows around the state and region. You could very easily see a facility like this in a city like Boston or Atlanta. It's just disappointing that they publicly put out designs like this and then we end up settling for something a little more mediocre. Nevertheless, the Tanger Center will be a great asset for downtown.

The ceiling lighting effects in this design looks a lot like Radio City Music Hall in New York and has two balcony levels

Last edited by gsoboi78; 11-20-2016 at 10:44 PM..

Old 11-21-2016, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Looks like Roy Cooper is up in the votes so we may not have to worry about a second term. In regards to the performing arts center. The design is great but it's not a stellar design. I actually like the design below better. It was designed by another architecture firm, Apicella Bunton Architects , who was competing for the design contract. Apicella was one of the two finalist but H3 Architects won out with the current design. I'm sure the reason had to do with staying under budget because I can see how a design like this could easily push the price tag to close to $100 million. Its pushing $80 million as it is and DPAC in Durham was a $40 million facility. The design below depicts a larger and slightly taller building and has a more dramatic front facade. This design would have really raised some eyebrows around the state and region. You could very easily see a facility like this in a city like Boston or Atlanta. It's just disappointing that they publicly put out designs like this and then we end up settling for something a little more mediocre. Nevertheless, the Tanger Center will be a great asset for downtown.

The ceiling lighting effects in this design looks a lot like Radio City Music Hall in New York and has two balcony levels

I'm with you on that- the second design is more appealing.

Old 12-05-2016, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
I'm with you on that- the second design is more appealing.
yea, it looks way more sophisticated, but anything is better than that giant hole in the ground.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point