Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2017, 04:27 AM

6,161 posts, read 7,230,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRVT View Post
It's about a two block walk (which I'm fine with) to get from Joymonger's to the nearest stadium entrance. Preyer and Crafted about another block away.

Ideally, there would have been some ground floor retain in Carroll at Bellmeade though. It's right there by the stadium, not to mention a good number of apartment units above them. Maybe there will be some space left over after A-Loft is built to build a small section of retail there. Then you don't have to walk the few blocks, you walk from the parking lot to the establishment and from the establishment to the park across the street. With games about 70 days/nights a year, there would be a lot of natural times when there would be increased traffic. And with the hotels/apartments, you have more options within walking distance for those residents/guests.

That said, I just moved to the area about 6-7 months ago. I look forward to catching my first Grasshoppers game this year.
I would also like to see Battleground Ave , where Smith Street Diner is located and on the east side of Carroll at Bellemeade redeveloped into restaurants, sports bars, retail ect. That woild help maximize the number of restaurants and bars near the stadium. In fact maybe even close section of Battleground Ave to vehicle traffic and turn it into a restaurant row promenade with gateway entrances over the road on each end.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2017, 12:31 PM

I think I know where one of the two proposed parking decks are going. Through some blog reporting, it was suggested that one of the parking decks may be built next to the performing arts center. Not sure if it needs to be built there considering the Bellemeade deck is diagonally across the street on North Elm but it could built there for anticipation for other nearby development. It has been suggested that a performing arts center deck would be sort of a bait and switch by not being included in the initial performing arts center project. Technically it would still be a part of the overall performing arts center development and when you include the deck, the performing arts center cost balloons to $110 million. Im not against the deck, I just hope that it incorporates street level retail, restaurants with a design that looks less like a deck and more like a mixed use urban building. Maybe even include an office element. These are ideas the city may be looking at because the dollar amounts are pretty pricey for just a typical parking deck. We cant have typical parking decks taking up prime real estate and taking away from the urban fabric. Right now a deck being built next to the performing arts center is just hearsay at this point.

Last edited by gsoboi78; 02-18-2017 at 01:16 PM..

Old 02-19-2017, 07:29 AM

Steven Tanger Center for the Performing Arts to have a superior sound system not found in any venue of its size in the United States

Tanger Center will have premier sound system | Blog: Go Triad - A&E Extra | greensboro.com

Old 02-20-2017, 10:59 PM

I think it would be cool if Greensboro got a Hotel Indigo downtown in addition to the Aloft, Westin and Hyatt Place. Hotel Indigos are usually in renovated historic buildings although there are many new construction hotels. There are two historic buildings in downtown Greensboro that would be a good fit for a Hotel Indigo.

1. The 7- story Dixie Building

The Dixie building has very distinct architectural elements and a 60 room boutique Hotel Indigo would be a good fit. The building was constructed in 1904 so it's over a century old. Currently there is a restaurant called Cincys on the bottom floor and is one of the oldest restaurants in downtown Greensboro. I remember it being there in the late 80s. The Dixie Building is located on the corner of South Elm Street and February One Pl. across from the International Civil Rights Museum. It's also across the street from the Elm Street Center conference center where the Westin Hotel is going. I think it would help attract even more conventions and meetings to the conference center at the Westin if there were an additional hotel across the street. It's strategic to have a cluster of hotels near a conference center or convention center.

Photos of the Dixie Building
https://www.emporis.com/images/show/...elm-street.jpg

https://cloudflarecdn.commercialcafe...D0F0EC93CF.jpg

https://cloudflarecdn.commercialcafe...EA13F600D6.jpg

https://cloudflarecdn.commercialcafe...9F108F8EA3.jpg

2. The second building that would fit the criteria for a Hotel Indigo is the 15-story Guilford Building. Because of the building's size, it could have a little more than 60 rooms. I would say 80 rooms and the rest of the building could have upscale apartments. The Guilford Building was constructed in 1926 and was actually supposed to be a hotel but it ended up being a bank in its early years. So you can say it's already designed for a hotel.

Photo of the Guilford Building
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3136/...f0174f624c.jpg

Personally I prefer the Dixie Building because of its proximity to Westin conference hotel site. The Dixie Building also has more architectural detail than the Guilford Building. Because of the number of hotels already being built or planned, I would try keep the number of hotel rooms under 100.

Last edited by gsoboi78; 02-20-2017 at 11:39 PM..

Old 02-23-2017, 08:18 PM

some photos I took of the Carroll at Bellemeade apartments and Hyatt Place hotel construction site

Old 02-25-2017, 03:04 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,541,472 times
New Oyster Bar opening March 8th at 214 S. Elm Street.
Rumor is there will patio bar serving beer and wine.

Old 02-25-2017, 06:10 PM

1,409 posts, read 1,962,062 times
That side of town looks so different.

Old 02-25-2017, 07:42 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,570,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
New Oyster Bar opening March 8th at 214 S. Elm Street.
Rumor is there will patio bar serving beer and wine.
Pier at the former Zen location next to Kress building.

Old 02-26-2017, 09:33 PM

Looks like Roy Carroll will soon make an announcement about his next downtown project. It's either the Aloft hotel, which may include mixed-use elements or Project 561. Those are the only two other plans he has in the works for downtown....at least that we know of. Roy Carroll tweeted back on February 9th....

"Our new project for downtown Greensboro will be announced shortly. I’ve instructed our architects to make sure it has a lot of “wow factor
”.

https://mobile.twitter.com/roycarrollgso

Old 02-27-2017, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
Looks like Roy Carroll will soon make an announcement about his next downtown project. It's either the Aloft hotel, which may include mixed-use elements or Project 561. Those are the only two other plans he has in the works for downtown....at least that we know of. Roy Carroll tweeted back on February 9th....

"Our new project for downtown Greensboro will be announced shortly. I’ve instructed our architects to make sure it has a lot of “wow factor
”.

https://mobile.twitter.com/roycarrollgso
If he is referring to the Aloft project, its not going to look like those typical cookie cutter Alofts based on the comment he made. I'm really hoping that it will be more than just a hotel and include either office or residential along with street level retail or restaurants. DGI president Zack Matheny mentioned in the Triad Beat article about residential towers being planned near the ballpark so just maybe an apartment tower is a part if his Aloft project and will be constructed next to the Aloft or the Aloft and residential will be in one building. It would be nice to have an apartment tower overlooking the ballpark.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point