Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2019, 06:18 PM

1,409 posts, read 1,961,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
Looks like construction on the Westin Hotel and ballpark office building will begin late spring. It would be really great if they take the office building back to 9 stories which would depend on whether or not they found a replacement tenant.

Again I look forward to Roy Carroll's "big announcement" in a few weeks.

Also....finally the rest of Greene Street downtown will become two way

Greene Will No Longer Be A Two-Way-One-Way-Two-Way Street - The Rhino Times of Greensboro
this is going to bring alot more activity and traffic to greene st, elm gets all the praise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2019, 07:01 PM

6,158 posts, read 7,228,112 times
First looking inside Hyatt Place ( video link )

Residents can start moving into the apartments next month

https://myfox8.com/2019/01/24/first-...-newest-hotel/

Last edited by gsoboi78; 01-24-2019 at 07:18 PM..

Old 01-25-2019, 10:46 AM

This has been a long time coming, i always knew greensboro would experience a building boom downtown. And the momentum is just getting started.

Really interested about what mr carroll has instore for his next announcement, but i'm 99.9% it has something to do with the aloft mixed, either a final design or construction schedule, since he said huge news, we can only wait and find out.

Cool to have confirmation that the westin and project slugger with both start soon tho.

Old 01-26-2019, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSOCitizen View Post
This has been a long time coming, i always knew greensboro would experience a building boom downtown. And the momentum is just getting started.

Really interested about what mr carroll has instore for his next announcement, but i'm 99.9% it has something to do with the aloft mixed, either a final design or construction schedule, since he said huge news, we can only wait and find out.

Cool to have confirmation that the westin and project slugger with both start soon tho.
Downtown Greensboro Inc President Zack Matheny stated that there will be two or three current land parcel major announcements, one of which will likely be Roy Carroll's revamped planned residential/hotel/office development. Another one will likely be the News and Record property which was purchased by the developer who is building the Westin Greensboro across the street. Word is it will be a major mixed-use project that would include a convention center and ideas about another hotel or a tower thrown into that development has been discussed but nothing has been publicly disclosed about it. But the News-Record property is so large it would easily be the largest single development project downtown in recent memory (not counting Southside). An entire city block and would be two blocks if the adjacent property next to it and across the depot is purchased.

On South Elm Street and upscale bowling alley/lounge/bar is being planned close to the Barcade. Exciting times for downtown Greensboro. While there are great things happening in Charlotte and Raleigh, its fun to watch a city like Greensboro in its downtown redevelopment infancy blossom.

Last edited by gsoboi78; 01-26-2019 at 04:31 PM..

Old 01-27-2019, 06:42 AM

32 posts, read 27,837 times
The latest from Roy Carroll on his Twitter account. “Thinking about building a conference/convention center in downtown Greensboro.” I wonder if he would build this on land that he owns, or is he working with the owner of the News & Record property? It seems like the speculation about a conference/convention center has been the News/Record site.

Old 01-27-2019, 07:43 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,385,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRay324 View Post
The latest from Roy Carroll on his Twitter account. “Thinking about building a conference/convention center in downtown Greensboro.” I wonder if he would build this on land that he owns, or is he working with the owner of the News & Record property? It seems like the speculation about a conference/convention center has been the News/Record site.
I wonder if it will open this century.

Old 01-27-2019, 07:51 AM

Quote:
It's very well possible. I do know that talks of a downtown convention center are real. The question is does he own enough land at the corner of Eugene and Friendly to build it along with his residential/hotel/office project or is he working with the Westin developer for the News-Record site which is the location that's being identified. The News-Record site makes the best sense because of the large amount of land and closer proximity to the depot, Westin, cultural district and South Elm Street restaurant and entertainment district.

Last edited by gsoboi78; 01-27-2019 at 07:59 AM..

Old 01-27-2019, 08:44 AM

I bet it's going to be on the news & reccord site.

Old 01-27-2019, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSOCitizen View Post
I bet it's going to be on the news & reccord site.
I may have been on to something and that may have been why part of the Westin looks unfinished. May have been designed to connect to another building across the street on the News-Record lot.

Thats a lot of real estate. You could fit a convention center and a lot more on this property.

Old 01-28-2019, 08:14 AM

71 posts, read 95,952 times
Quote:
As exciting as this is for downtown, this would definitely bring an additional unneeded blow to the Four Seasons area (and the Koury Center). If not for the many events taking place there, I'm certain the mall area would certainly be in more dire circumstances.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point