Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2021, 08:41 AM

1,206 posts, read 1,056,292 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_thomas View Post
My opinion is that downtown needs two things - more residents, and more buildings. If you look at a satellite view, it is shocking how much of the land in the center city is either surface parking or empty lots. IMO, the Downtown Greensboro Inc. vision plan misses the mark - it is too focused on big, shiny projects. I would make the goal simple - triple the downtown residential population in the next ten years. Build apartments on every vacant lot in the center city. Downtown needs a critical mass of people to support more businesses and activities. There is clearly demand for people to live downtown. Meet this demand, grow the residential population, and many of the other goals will take care of themselves.
Agreed for the most part. So much wasted space or land ripe for development. But instead of nonsense like Project 561 (which is dead now finally) and the Westin (along with the 5346546 other hotels), the focus should be on mid-rise apartments (Winston-Salem has started down this path and it's going to start paying huge dividends in another 5 years or so IMO).

There's Carroll's project (the new one) and I do think its largely on the mark (though I question the hotel element). But instead of height, more of the focus should be on 4-6 story apartments/condos (with some ground level retail). There seems to be the belief that there isn’t room for that, but that argument is nonsense. In fact, without it I don't think downtown Greensboro can thrive to the level it has the potential to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2021, 08:47 AM

511 posts, read 511,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Golightly View Post
Well after seeing the video, it's clear the downtown isn't that inhabited yet with residents so it might be a little too slow, quiet, undeveloped for us right now. It seems that people are mostly there working during the day and then it clears out in the evening. Of course, that could be a good time to buy in on a condo/apartment and sit on it for awhile. Greensboro has some really nice houses for the price so I might be hard pressed to pass up getting a nice single family with a beautiful yard. We'll definitely check out that apartment building though if he gets the job when house hunting and get a feel/vibe for it. Thanks for your insights.
Downtown clearing out after 5 definitely used to be the case. Not anymore. But I feel like Downtown Greensboro after hours attracts a lot of young people, college students that can’t afford to live in luxury apartments downtown. Perhaps people who work downtown leave after 5 and a new crowd comes in, mostly along Elm Street. And obviously more people are out in about in the warmer months, not in winter like in the video.

You could also look into Fisher Park. It’s a nice historic neighborhood just north of downtown so you can enjoy a nice yard and still walk downtown.

Old 04-09-2021, 10:16 AM

1,409 posts, read 1,961,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Golightly View Post
Well after seeing the video, it's clear the downtown isn't that inhabited yet with residents so it might be a little too slow, quiet, undeveloped for us right now. It seems that people are mostly there working during the day and then it clears out in the evening. Of course, that could be a good time to buy in on a condo/apartment and sit on it for awhile. Greensboro has some really nice houses for the price so I might be hard pressed to pass up getting a nice single family with a beautiful yard. We'll definitely check out that apartment building though if he gets the job when house hunting and get a feel/vibe for it. Thanks for your insights.
downtown does not clear up in the evening, it gets more packed as the night progresses, lots of college kids, young professionals and a variety of other people inhabit downtown.

A typical night downtown:

You shouldn’t judge a cities vibe off just off one video.

Last edited by YinXyang; 04-09-2021 at 10:25 AM..

Old 04-09-2021, 10:31 AM

48 posts, read 39,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YinXyang View Post
downtown does not clear up in the evening, it gets more packed as the night progresses, lots of college kids, young professionals and a variety of other people inhabit downtown.

A typical night downtown:

You shouldn’t judge a cuties vibe off video.
Oh okay, my wrong assumption. I imagined it is like how Charlotte used to be long ago. A bit of a ghost town by evening. I wasn't really seeing many pedestrians walking around in the video. Well, it all looks very promising for the city if the leaders and developers make the right strategic decisions. It seems like it could be a case of if they build it, they will come.

Last edited by Mrs. Golightly; 04-09-2021 at 11:14 AM..

Old 04-09-2021, 11:52 AM

12,169 posts, read 8,021,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebermudatriad View Post
Ouch! TunedIn isn't gonna like that! Especially after talking about how smart you are.

Greensboro, Winston-Salem, and High Point ALL have so much potential. I'm curious as to what you would do if you had a magic wand. I wish developers would focus more on walkability.

The place was called Smith & Edge. It was a cool little building. I have no clue why the building was torn down. Maybe it was structural and the business never found another place to open back up. I drove by the area today and it looks like there was a for sale sign or something there. Not sure if that means the church is up for grabs or if it's just the corner lot. But maybe something will take its place soon.
If I could, I would redevelop the parcels all between Joymongers - Elm Street - the Levy Place - and the set of Garages by the Marriott.... all down towards Undrcurrent and back out to Joymongers. Would love to see some 7 story apartments/condos and ground floor retail/shopping/dining. Especially an Italian restaurant.. another cocktail bar, and a Fish restaurant would be nice. Nice sidewalks too. Would be really nice to hav that area very walkable and loaded with apts and condos.

I also would want to redevelop said development next to Baseball Park and the abandoned area inbetween Dog Days and Greenway at Fisher Park.

Old 04-09-2021, 04:31 PM

851 posts, read 418,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Going to be honest, my parents are leaving Greensboro because of the crime near downtown and around. I wish it the best, but it was a huge deterrent for them, and a few others in the downtown ish complex they were in.

Going north of Greensboro is fine, but getting more than a generic suburban lifestyle is difficult with the stuff that happens just a block or two from Elm Street

I never feel unsafe in the day. But at night I so near downtown. It's either barren and desolate. Or just straight up sketchy. Which stinks because the downtown has SO much potential.
I've been Downtown most nights of the week in four season weather, and this appraisal is far more in line with my own. I often wonder if we're all talking about the same Greensboro. More likely, we all measure with a different yardstick. I travel often domestically and I've experienced a lot of Dowtowns, and for a city of almost 300,000, Greensboro's is extremely underwhelming. I agree with the opinion regarding potential, but having it and realizing it are far from the same thing.

Old 04-09-2021, 04:47 PM

And I'm gonna buck the trend and say that Downtown's need for additional attractions is greater than the need for more apartments. The ballpark and the PAC are both major scores but with relatively infrequent schedules. I don't know if there's room, but an upscale cinema with luxury recliners would be a constant draw. And some quality ethnic restaurants. Thai, Indian, Cambodian, Vietnamese. Dinner and a movie with my girl would bring me in for sure. And I'll buck the trend again and say that I'm impressed overall with the direction that city leaders are taking. Without a crystal ball, we can only speculate. With a little luck, and without a recession in the near future, maybe the place will take off and put Greensboro on the map. Here's hoping.

Last edited by TunedIn; 04-09-2021 at 05:14 PM..

Old 04-09-2021, 05:01 PM

And there should absolutely be a police presence to promote a feeling of safety among Downtown visitors. Beat cops on foot work wonders. And sorry, but aggressive vagrants and panhandlers are murder on a downtown and shouldn't be tolerated.

Old 04-09-2021, 06:19 PM

I thought you all might like this article that mentions Greensboro in its study/findings regarding exodus trends out of larger cities to smaller cities.

https://www.samsara.com/blog/urban-e...smaller-cities

Old 04-09-2021, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunedIn View Post
With a little luck, and without a recession in the near future, maybe the place will take off and put Greensboro on the map. Here's hoping.
Let's think about those trends of those leaving large metros for greener pastures in smaller cities. That's where Gboro can maybe fill a niche and trend and potentially get on the map .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point