Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2017, 01:11 PM

6,161 posts, read 7,230,579 times

Advertisements

City Council discusses building an 8 story parking deck accross the street from the planned 9 story ballpark office tower. The article says Carroll will build a 15 to 20 story mixed use tower on top of the 8 story parking deck. The mixed use building will include the Aloft hotel.

"The 1,050-space deck would provide the foundation — quite literally — for the 15- to 20-story mixed-use building that Greensboro developer Roy Carroll is planning."

Greensboro council to consider building parking deck near baseball stadium | Local News | greensboro.com

Last edited by gsoboi78; 09-15-2017 at 01:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2017, 09:23 PM

1,206 posts, read 1,058,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
City Council discusses building an 8 story parking deck accross the street from the planned 9 story ballpark office tower. The article says Carroll will build a 15 to 20 story mixed use tower on top of the 8 story parking deck. The mixed use building will include the Aloft hotel.

"The 1,050-space deck would provide the foundation — quite literally — for the 15- to 20-story mixed-use building that Greensboro developer Roy Carroll is planning."

Greensboro council to consider building parking deck near baseball stadium | Local News | greensboro.com
So at first, Project 561 was going to be 28 stories on top of an 8 story parking deck. Earlier this year it was 20 stories on top of an 8 story parking deck. Now we're talking 15-20 stories now on top of the 8 story parking deck. Maybe this isn't Project 561, but I think what has happened is (as expected), it has become evident to all that Project 561 is nothing but a pipe dream (if it were remotely realistic, this would be it). I wouldn't be surprised if we end of looking at 12 stories on top of the original parking deck.

Old 09-15-2017, 10:25 PM

We will just have to wait and see if it's project 561 or another high-rise project Roy Carroll is planning. While on the surface it looks like a scaled down project 561, it doesn't make sense for Roy Carroll to be mum on this project and at the same time publicly talk about project 561. That right there makes me suspicious project 561 and this tower project may be two seperate projects. If its two separate projects, the tower he is building near the ballpark likely will have little to no office space and would be a mixed use residential tower with the Aloft Hotel. He would be competing with his planned project 561 if he included significant office space. I'm hoping he adds an entertainment element to this tower project like an upscale bowling alley. We know there will be retail and restaurants on the street level of the deck. I'm hoping they are two separate projects because if Project 561 becomes a reality, downtown will get two new towers 28 stories or taller. Even if his current tower proposal isn't project 561, and he does indeed stack 20 stories on an 8 story deck, it would still surpass the Lincoln Financial Building in height and become Greensboro's tallest building. If it is Project 561, a structural spire would push it up to 561 feet. Remember Carroll always said Project 561 would be 28 stories. The PNC Tower in Raleigh only has 5 more floors and its height is at 540 feet due to its spire.

Maybe some renderings of the deck portion minus the tower on top will be revealed at Tuesday's city council meeting. The design of the deck will give us some sort of indication of the tower design. I would think they would have designs by now. They started the design process on the deck months ago.

"Carroll was tight-lipped about what he plans to build atop the deck.

“We’re going to build on our property a city parking deck and we’re going to retain the air rights above the parking deck,” he said.

“We’re not ready to talk about what’s going to be built above the garage.”

Last edited by gsoboi78; 09-15-2017 at 10:52 PM..

Old 09-16-2017, 06:38 PM

1,409 posts, read 1,962,062 times
I think it would just be best to slide project 561 under the rug for right now, at the moment we should focus on the four high rises that the city already confirmed are going to be built, at the moment I think p561 is dead.

Until Roy shares another update, but we have not seen a rendering or anything...

Old 09-16-2017, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSOCitizen View Post
I think it would just be best to slide project 561 under the rug for right now, at the moment we should focus on the four high rises that the city already confirmed are going to be built, at the moment I think p561 is dead.

Until Roy shares another update, but we have not seen a rendering or anything...
4 high-rises? What is the 4th? There is the Westin, the ballpark office tower and whatever Roy Carroll is planning above the parking deck.

Old 09-16-2017, 06:44 PM

1,409 posts, read 1,962,062 times
Quote:
4 high-rises? What is the 4th? There is the Westin, the ballpark office tower and whatever Roy Carroll is planning above the parking deck.
3, that are known, my mistake on that 4th.

Old 09-16-2017, 06:47 PM

Gotcha. I would say p561 is on hiatus until he can secure an anchor tenant. Who knows when that will happen. It could be 2 years or 10 years. At some point there will be demand for significant office space. Its just a matter of when. It took almost 10 years before the Westin would become reality and it was thought to be dead when a number of years went by with no news.

Old 09-17-2017, 08:38 AM

Some downtown photos including updated construction photos of Carroll at Bellemeade.

Carroll at Bellemeade / Hyatt Place Hotel

Hyatt Place

The foreground plaza is where the 9 story office building is going. To the right of the plaza across the street is where the 20 story tower on top of the 8 story deck is going.

911 Memorial on South Elm Street. The sculpture was made from the actual steel from the World Trade Center twin towers.

Southside

Last edited by gsoboi78; 09-17-2017 at 09:06 AM..

Old 09-18-2017, 06:29 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,388,775 times
Quote:
A 9 story building is a high rise? Um, no.

Old 09-18-2017, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
A 9 story building is a high rise? Um, no.
Well I think the News and Record called it a tower not a highrise. The term highrise is relative though depending on the city. For a city like Greensboro 10 stories and taller would be considered a highrise so the ballpark tower is one story short from that classification. In a city like New York a 15 story building would be considered a midrise.

Technically it is a tower and to be honest the floors are taller than your typical office building. The ballpark tower will be more like 12 stories in height.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point