Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2018, 07:09 AM

475 posts, read 685,060 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
Remember though. It took Charlotte many years for its perception to catch up to reality. Although Greensboro is further behind. But even when you say Greensboro, you don't think of bright lights, big city.
I understand your point, but I don't think "bright lights, big city" when I think of ANY city in the Carolinas. I'm just stating that Greensboro's downtown doesn't quite seem representative of cities in its own population class (or some smaller ones, for that matter). I think 4 or 5 more skyline impacting buildings would change that, although at this rate, that's 100 years away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2018, 09:54 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,395,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gold15 View Post
I understand your point, but I don't think "bright lights, big city" when I think of ANY city in the Carolinas. I'm just stating that Greensboro's downtown doesn't quite seem representative of cities in its own population class (or some smaller ones, for that matter). I think 4 or 5 more skyline impacting buildings would change that, although at this rate, that's 100 years away.
?

Charlotte has one of the most colorful skylines I think. And it’s pretty big. But I think getting a skyline the size of Austin, Charlotte, Minneapolis and higher have big skylines. It just so happens NYC, Chicago & Miami are yuge. The tallest in Greensboro by 2020 would be the 20th tallest in CLT. Imagine 20 more of those things. .

But Greensboro isn’t going to be a Charlotte or a Triangle. It’s not going to grow like these two in our lifetimes. What it can do is continue to revitalize and make downtown Greensboro a better place. It doesn’t have to be bigger but the constant improvements and amenities and such should be the goal. Not saying not to find ways to grow like CLT or RDU. I’m just saying there’s no clear future of when that would happen.

The attached picture I took A couple months ago are missing 4 other buildings with very bright colored tops. The colors purple, Green and Blue.
Attached Thumbnails
Greensboro downtown Development.-7ae72965-eeb4-4f45-8ee8-a2854a94d291.jpeg  

Old 06-28-2018, 07:48 AM

511 posts, read 511,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
?

But Greensboro isn’t going to be a Charlotte or a Triangle. It’s not going to grow like these two in our lifetimes.
No doubt Charlotte and the Triangle are charging ahead, but Raleigh had a smaller population than Greensboro up until sometime in the 80s. I'm just hoping our day will come.

Old 06-28-2018, 08:10 AM

6,157 posts, read 7,224,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
?

Charlotte has one of the most colorful skylines I think. And it’s pretty big. But I think getting a skyline the size of Austin, Charlotte, Minneapolis and higher have big skylines. It just so happens NYC, Chicago & Miami are yuge. The tallest in Greensboro by 2020 would be the 20th tallest in CLT. Imagine 20 more of those things. .

But Greensboro isn’t going to be a Charlotte or a Triangle. It’s not going to grow like these two in our lifetimes. What it can do is continue to revitalize and make downtown Greensboro a better place. It doesn’t have to be bigger but the constant improvements and amenities and such should be the goal. Not saying not to find ways to grow like CLT or RDU. I’m just saying there’s no clear future of when that would happen.

The attached picture I took A couple months ago are missing 4 other buildings with very bright colored tops. The colors purple, Green and Blue.
I think thats the problem. Greensboro is doing a bunch of little things but has yet to find its niche that would propel it's growth on the level of Charlotte and the Triangle. Right now the city has more of a slower pace, good to raise a family type image . I think the downtown projects are definitely a good start. It gets companies attention the city is forward thinking and may be a good location to relocate.

Old 06-28-2018, 08:15 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,382,278 times
Quote:
I think thats the problem. Greensboro is doing a bunch of little things but has yet to find its niche that would propel it's growth on the level of Charlotte and the Triangle. Right now the city has more of a slower pace, good to raise a family type image .
Why is that a problem? I think the triad is well served to be slower growing, more affordable, high quality of life alternative to Charlotte and the triangle. That IS its niche.

Old 06-28-2018, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
Why is that a problem? I think the triad is well served to be slower growing, more affordable, high quality of life alternative to Charlotte and the triangle. That IS its niche.
The problem is job growth is slow. I'm not saying Greensboro has to be the next Atlanta but I would like to see the kind of job growth and downtown development we see in Raleigh and even Greenville, SC which is smaller. I'd like to see Greensboro become a more cosmopolitan urban city

Old 06-28-2018, 10:30 AM

The deck that will be a part of Carroll's project will not be visible from the street which allows the city to build a much cheaper deck

City, Carroll and a Better Parking Deck Plan - The Rhino Times of Greensboro

Old 06-28-2018, 10:49 AM

511 posts, read 511,067 times
From the article: "Project Slugger is the six- or nine-story office building planned to sit right beside the First National Bank Field"

It's still officially 6, right?

Old 06-28-2018, 11:03 AM

85 posts, read 168,214 times
This new development by Roy Carroll is to be a 120 million dollar investment so I'm wondering if it will be twice the size of Carroll at Bellemeade which is a 60 million dollar project.

Old 06-28-2018, 11:30 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
The problem is job growth is slow. I'm not saying Greensboro has to be the next Atlanta but I would like to see the kind of job growth and downtown development we see in Raleigh and even Greenville, SC which is smaller. I'd like to see Greensboro become a more cosmopolitan urban city
Greenville's downtown revitalization has been at least 30 years in the making. These things take time.

Economically, one "issue" is that NC's economic development strategy is geared towards cultivating and attracting companies that find Charlotte and the Triangle to be a better fit. The state is late to the game when it comes to laying the groundwork to land a big auto manufacturer which is the type of company more suited for Greensboro but that could still change. In the meantime, attracting suppliers, smaller manufacturers, and back-office white-collar operations would be good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point