Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2018, 12:23 PM

6,799 posts, read 7,382,278 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
The problem is job growth is slow. I'm not saying Greensboro has to be the next Atlanta but I would like to see the kind of job growth and downtown development we see in Raleigh and even Greenville, SC which is smaller. I'd like to see Greensboro become a more cosmopolitan urban city
I agree the triad needs better job growth. However, there was no mention of "jobs" in the post you responded to, nor in your post that I responded to...only the word "growth", as if you meant growth for growth's sake, or growth in order to keep up with charlotte and the triangle for bragging rights purposes.

It is extremely unlikely the triad will see the kind of job growth that Charlotte and the triangle have experienced in the past 10 to 20 years any time in the foreseeable future. And frankly, that shouldn't even be the goal. But yes, job growth has been anemic and needs to be better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2018, 01:31 PM

475 posts, read 685,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
?

Charlotte has one of the most colorful skylines I think. And it’s pretty big. But I think getting a skyline the size of Austin, Charlotte, Minneapolis and higher have big skylines. It just so happens NYC, Chicago & Miami are yuge. The tallest in Greensboro by 2020 would be the 20th tallest in CLT. Imagine 20 more of those things. .

The attached picture I took A couple months ago are missing 4 other buildings with very bright colored tops. The colors purple, Green and Blue.
Since there is a question mark in your reply to my post:

I've been to NYC, Chicago, Miami, San Fran, Seattle, LA, Houston, Dallas, Toronto, Barcelona, London, Paris, Rio, Buenos Aires, Hyderabad... and others.

No city in the Carolinas says "bright lights, big city" to *me.* That is the specific comment I was referring to. No question, Charlotte has high-rises, color, and some beautiful 'urban' scenery.

I'm from (and love) GSO and have lived in CLT; there's no shade. Everyone's perspective is different. I also noted that "bright lights/big city" is not something I would even want or expect of Greensboro, just a look that aligns with cities of similar population.

Last edited by gold15; 06-28-2018 at 01:46 PM..

Old 06-28-2018, 03:43 PM

6,157 posts, read 7,224,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yinzer2 View Post
This new development by Roy Carroll is to be a 120 million dollar investment so I'm wondering if it will be twice the size of Carroll at Bellemeade which is a 60 million dollar project.
While this won't be a 20 plus story project anymore it's still going to be a nice size development

Also Bermuda apparently it's not set in stone that Project Slugger will be 6 stories. The plan could revert back to 9 stories. The delays could actually help secure another tenant.

Old 06-28-2018, 05:25 PM

I noticed they are putting together a large red crane on the performing arts center site. Looks like one of those small tower cranes.

Old 06-28-2018, 07:47 PM

85 posts, read 168,214 times
Want to give an update on several small business locating in Downtown Greensboro that plan to open in August 2018.

1. Lao Restaurant+Bar offering Laotian cuisine and drinks is opening in the former Crafted Taco space at 219-A south elm street. Crafted Taco opened across the street to a larger space earlier this year.
2. Chez-Genese is a french inspired restaurant opening in the former PB&J cafe at 616 south elm street in the south end of downtown. It will be open for breakfast and lunch and offer cooking classes in the evening hours. The restaurant will also focus on giving employment options to people of special needs. Very Cool!!!
3. The Idiot Box Comedy Club is relocating downtown to 503 North Greene Street. This will be a full time comedy club open five nights a week. It previously was the comedy club in the basement of Geeksboro Coffee House which is relocating up Lawndale to a larger location opening in early to mid July.

4. As a side note: Outside of the August open dates it appears construction has started on the planned urban bowling alley/restaurant/bar complex at south elm and lewis streets probably to open sometime in early 2019 I would assume.

Old 06-30-2018, 05:12 AM

120 posts, read 158,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yinzer2 View Post
Want to give an update on several small business locating in Downtown Greensboro that plan to open in August 2018.

1. Lao Restaurant+Bar offering Laotian cuisine and drinks is opening in the former Crafted Taco space at 219-A south elm street. Crafted Taco opened across the street to a larger space earlier this year.
2. Chez-Genese is a french inspired restaurant opening in the former PB&J cafe at 616 south elm street in the south end of downtown. It will be open for breakfast and lunch and offer cooking classes in the evening hours. The restaurant will also focus on giving employment options to people of special needs. Very Cool!!!
3. The Idiot Box Comedy Club is relocating downtown to 503 North Greene Street. This will be a full time comedy club open five nights a week. It previously was the comedy club in the basement of Geeksboro Coffee House which is relocating up Lawndale to a larger location opening in early to mid July.

4. As a side note: Outside of the August open dates it appears construction has started on the planned urban bowling alley/restaurant/bar complex at south elm and lewis streets probably to open sometime in early 2019 I would assume.
Some nice additions there. Maybe Idiot Box will draw some slightly larger acts in the downtown area.

Old 07-01-2018, 08:50 PM

Aloft Greensboro is now on Aloft website in addition to Starwood. Interesting that after the Greensboro opening, North Carolina will rank 4th in the nation in regards to Aloft locations with a total of 11 Alofts. Most states have between 1 and 4 locations. The three states that have more than North Carolina are,

Texas - 31

Florida - 16

California - 14

North Carolina will have more Alofts than New York State and Pennsylvania only has 2.

I think Greensboro will eventually get a second Aloft. "Aloft Greensboro Airport" which will look like the typical suburban Alofts with the sloped roof. Winston-Salem will eventually get an Aloft as well.

Last edited by gsoboi78; 07-01-2018 at 08:58 PM..

Old 07-01-2018, 09:56 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,395,326 times
Is there something special about an aloft?

Old 07-01-2018, 10:45 PM

1,206 posts, read 1,055,716 times
Quote:
Not particularly. From what I hear, they're a decent hotel, ultimately similar to Hyatt House or Hyatt Place. But I've never stayed in one myself.

Old 07-02-2018, 12:38 AM

1,459 posts, read 1,164,817 times
Quote:
To someone who obviously has never experienced much outside of Greensboro and thinks that it is the center of the universe, i'm sure there's a lot of special things about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point