Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2018, 03:07 PM

121 posts, read 158,808 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yinzer2 View Post
On a side note: An eight lane upscale bowling alley with a restaurant and bar serving cocktails and craft beer is planned for the corner of S. Elm Street and Lewis. The building used to be an old gas station. I think this would be a great addition to the south end of downtown if done correctly.

https://www.bizjournals.com/triad/ne...t-rolling.html
YESSSSSSS. I've been gunning for something like this since moving here in 2012. Add an upscale comedy club to that mix and I will be a very happy woman.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2018, 03:50 PM

6,161 posts, read 7,230,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yinzer2 View Post
On a side note: An eight lane upscale bowling alley with a restaurant and bar serving cocktails and craft beer is planned for the corner of S. Elm Street and Lewis. The building used to be an old gas station. I think this would be a great addition to the south end of downtown if done correctly.

https://www.bizjournals.com/triad/ne...t-rolling.html

Finally! I knew it was only a matter of time after the success of Boxcar Barcade! Bowling would be a great addition to downtown and the proposed location is south of the tracks where downtown activity has really picked up with Boxcar, Fat Tuesday, a distillery and more.

Old 05-16-2018, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KL77 View Post
YESSSSSSS. I've been gunning for something like this since moving here in 2012. Add an upscale comedy club to that mix and I will be a very happy woman.
I'd love to see a comedy club within the same block or two. The area would have a variety of entertainment. For the longest time downtown's entertainment was for the most part anchored by nightclubs but now we are seeing more live music venues, barcades and now potentially a bowling alley. Its venues like this that make downtown an attractive place for all of the new hotels going up.

Old 05-18-2018, 10:37 AM

News and Record has reached an agreement to sell its downtown site. But this is good news in regards to what potential development could go on the site. It's being sold to the developer who's building the Westin Hotel across the street.

Other unidentified parties are also involved so it's going to be a pretty big development whatever goes there.

https://www.bizjournals.com/triad/ne...to-westin.html

http://www.rhinotimes.com/featured-a...erty-contract/

News & Record reaches agreement to sell downtown property | Local Business | greensboro.com

Last edited by gsoboi78; 05-18-2018 at 10:48 AM..

Old 05-18-2018, 04:46 PM

Major downtown convention space has been brought up as a potential part of the site development. Although it would not compete head on with the Koury Convention Center at I-40 and Gate City Blvd. A skyscraper, apartments , condos, retail and restaurants were also mentioned as possibilities.

Convention space does make sense with all the new hotels going up and the Westin would be right across the street. This may be why the Westin Hotel developer bought the site to in part help benefit his future high-rise Westin across the street. So will a mixed-use development that includes a downtown convention center be on the horizon? Time will tell but it's a no brainer with a site that large. Not to mention the train and bus station are directly south of the property. The site really is tailored for a convention center.

N&R building is sold, begging a question: What will replace it? | Local News | greensboro.com

Last edited by gsoboi78; 05-18-2018 at 05:02 PM..

Old 05-18-2018, 09:54 PM

Westin Greensboro official website

https://www.westingreensboro.com

Hyatt Place downtown Greensboro has also been listed on its website

https://m.hyatt.com/mt/www.hyatt.com...rchResults.jsp

Last edited by gsoboi78; 05-18-2018 at 10:46 PM..

Old 05-19-2018, 09:19 AM

1,409 posts, read 1,962,062 times
Wow....... that is absolutely stunning.

Davie stree gonna explode.

Last edited by YinXyang; 05-19-2018 at 09:56 AM..

Old 05-19-2018, 09:52 AM

1,206 posts, read 1,058,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSOCitizen View Post
Wow....... that is absolutely stunning.
IMO, it's pretty good for Greensboro. However, I think just another two or three stories would make it absolutely stunning. Adding just two more stories on top would make a HUGE difference (as there would be a noticeable contrast between the impressive sized parking deck and the building itself.

That said, I love the mixed use component of the parking deck. That should also get some foot traffic a block over from where that foot traffic ends now... which will make the N&O site more attractive.

Old 05-19-2018, 10:06 AM

They have just demolished the last building for the Westin/parking deck. The street level retail in the deck is on point with what's to come on the News and Record site across the street. Davie Street is the next strip in downtown that's going to see a lot of activity over the upcoming years. The future performing arts center and Center-City Park/LeBauer Park already anchors the north end of Davie Street a block north of the News and Record site. Davie Street has always been looked at as the backdoor street to Elm Street. That won't be the case in the near future. I'm excited about the possibilities on the News and Record site. The developer of the Westin, Greg Dillon of Maryland, who purchased the site probably already has some sort of preliminary plan/idea of what he wants to do there because a developer isn't going to purchase property of that size without some sort of idea of what's going there. I do believe it will be a mixed-use project with a convention facility as its anchor which would compliment his Westin hotel. The funny thing is there are some design elements on the back of the Westin which could indicate a sky bridge connecting the hotel to whatever is built across the street. If you're going to put a convention center downtown, it's the site that makes the most sense particularly with the depot being located south of the property. Convention goers can just take the Amtrak and walk right across the street to the hotel and convention center. It's as close as you can get to having a train/bus station at a convention center.

Last edited by gsoboi78; 05-19-2018 at 10:29 AM..

Old 05-19-2018, 06:28 PM

1,409 posts, read 1,962,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRVT View Post
IMO, it's pretty good for Greensboro. However, I think just another two or three stories would make it absolutely stunning. Adding just two more stories on top would make a HUGE difference (as there would be a noticeable contrast between the impressive sized parking deck and the building itself.

That said, I love the mixed use component of the parking deck. That should also get some foot traffic a block over from where that foot traffic ends now... which will make the N&O site more attractive.
actually, that tiny little car in the first picture is a good example for how big that building/complex really is. It's 14 stories tall, that's not bad, but it's also 2 blocks long. Especially from this angle.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point