Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2018, 10:36 PM

1,409 posts, read 1,962,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerv2015 View Post
Yeah, it would be nice to have a tower but more business downtown is a win. What water tower ??
i'm saying the same thing... rusty water tower?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2018, 10:16 AM

185 posts, read 199,435 times
Lol it seems like one off in the distance out toward Martin Luther King pops up in the skyline shortly after u pass red cinema area. .. maybe it's something else but looks like a old water tower. Lol..

Old 06-24-2018, 10:25 AM

6,161 posts, read 7,230,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadfromnc View Post
Lol it seems like one off in the distance out toward Martin Luther King pops up in the skyline shortly after u pass red cinema area. .. maybe it's something else but looks like a old water tower. Lol..
The one that says Bennett on it by the fire station and next to CityView Apartments on McAdoo?

Old 06-24-2018, 11:16 AM

185 posts, read 199,435 times
That could be it. Not as rusty looking as I though. Maybe i saw it during some bad lighting lol

Old 06-24-2018, 12:34 PM

1,206 posts, read 1,058,104 times
Quote:
That could be it. Not as rusty looking as I though. Maybe i saw it during some bad lighting lol
Must have been... because I don't see what other water tower there would be. There's nothing within eyeshot of the block that would be built on per Googlemaps.

Old 06-24-2018, 02:25 PM

That water tower was repainted some years back. It use to be a light green color and before that an ugly darker green color.

Old 06-24-2018, 03:37 PM

475 posts, read 685,547 times
Quote:
I'm just one of those people that think tall skyline equals big city feel...I know it's all in perception...
I definitely agree that it contributes; however, I don't even wish for GSO to necessarily have a "big city" feel as much as I would like the center city to be more representative of the city's size (which is a nice medium-sized city).

When I tell people out of state I'm from Greensboro, their initial response is generally something related to "small town" or "country." When I tell them the population, mention cities Greensboro is larger than, and that there are city buses, etc., some of them are genuinely enlightened - and these are highly intelligent people, though not as hip to all the numbers as 'City Data' types.

Without being presented with the statistics, people would (and do) argue that Greensboro CITY couldn't possibly be more populated than places like Newark, Baton Rouge, Mobile, Richmond, Jackson, Orlando, Jersey City, and Norfolk, instead assuming that they all are much, much larger municipalities. Indeed, Greensboro's city population is within striking range of Cincinnati's.

Yes, I understand that some of the aforementioned cities are historically larger, and some are in larger metro areas, but this is about the city, today, and perception.

I wonder if any city of this size in the country has gone 30 years with a high-rise drought. At ~300,000, Greensboro (center city) doesn't look the part.

Last edited by gold15; 06-24-2018 at 04:19 PM..

Old 06-25-2018, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gold15 View Post
I definitely agree that it contributes; however, I don't even wish for GSO to necessarily have a "big city" feel as much as I would like the center city to be more representative of the city's size (which is a nice medium-sized city).

When I tell people out of state I'm from Greensboro, their initial response is generally something related to "small town" or "country." When I tell them the population, mention cities Greensboro is larger than, and that there are city buses, etc., some of them are genuinely enlightened - and these are highly intelligent people, though not as hip to all the numbers as 'City Data' types.

Without being presented with the statistics, people would (and do) argue that Greensboro CITY couldn't possibly be more populated than places like Newark, Baton Rouge, Mobile, Richmond, Jackson, Orlando, Jersey City, and Norfolk, instead assuming that they all are much, much larger municipalities. Indeed, Greensboro's city population is within striking range of Cincinnati's.

Yes, I understand that some of the aforementioned cities are historically larger, and some are in larger metro areas, but this is about the city, today, and perception.

I wonder if any city of this size in the country has gone 30 years with a high-rise drought. At ~300,000, Greensboro (center city) doesn't look the part.
I think Greensboro has an image problem. Outside of our bubble in other states, many people have never heard of Greensboro or if they have, they think its much smaller than it is.

As for the highrise drought? Durham is of similar size and it went through a highrise drought just as long

Old 06-25-2018, 09:53 AM

475 posts, read 685,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
I think Greensboro has an image problem. Outside of our bubble in other states, many people have never heard of Greensboro or if they have, they think its much smaller than it is.
That's been my experience as well... as close as Georgia.

It's almost like... "we haven't grown like Charlotte of Raleigh, so let's just play the background - where we belong." I think GSO is large enough to be a part of the conversation, and to present itself as such. For many decades though, the spirit of NIMBYism and anti-growth prevailed.

Old 06-25-2018, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gold15 View Post
That's been my experience as well... as close as Georgia.

It's almost like... "we haven't grown like Charlotte of Raleigh, so let's just play the background - where we belong." I think GSO is large enough to be a part of the conversation, and to present itself as such. For many decades though, the spirit of NIMBYism and anti-growth prevailed.
Remember though. It took Charlotte many years for its perception to catch up to reality. Although Greensboro is further behind. But even when you say Greensboro, you don't think of bright lights, big city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point