Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2022, 04:25 PM

6,156 posts, read 7,218,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UserNamesake View Post
All of that… HOWEVER, I still believe some additional diversification of employment sectors is still needed. And that’s not happening, and it hasn’t been happening.

I agree. Surprisingly the 25-34 demo is the largest in Greensboro but that demo doesn’t seem to be active AT ALL with anything remotely political and/or city improvement related. That’s usually the MOST ACTIVE demo with creative ideas, advocacy and initiatives, particularly late 20s and to mid 30s. So much of a laissez-faire approach, across the board, from Greensboro residents. And gsoboi, I think it was you who said, city residents have historically been that way.

Tuned, do progressives not want to help bring about safe communities?

Wait that was sarcasm… I’m sorry, I should know that by now lol
I think the citizens of Greensboro need to stop accepting what the city is and try to make it what it could be. Greensboro clearly has not reached its full potential. There is no reason whatsoever as to why Greensboro can't be a hotbed for job growth and development as you would see in places such as the Triangle. We have the infrastructure, good quality of life and educational system and enough movers and shakers to make it happen. But the proper leadership is key in government and in the corporate/business community. Greensboro's corporate community also must do more than just donate to foundations
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2022, 05:05 PM

851 posts, read 416,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
I think the citizens of Greensboro need to stop accepting what the city is and try to make it what it could be. Greensboro clearly has not reached its full potential. There is no reason whatsoever as to why Greensboro can't be a hotbed for job growth and development as you would see in places such as the Triangle. We have the infrastructure, good quality of life and educational system and enough movers and shakers to make it happen. But the proper leadership is key in government and in the corporate/business community. Greensboro's corporate community also must do more than just donate to foundations
In my opinion, Greensboro IS becoming what it can be. A bed don't get any hotter than a Toyota automobile manufacturing plant. You've got to be realistic and understand that we're not going to compete with our rival intrastate cities for jobs in certain segments of employment. We simply don't have an equally skilled and educated workforce. The biggest obstacle as I see it, is the increasing control of the city council by liberal Democrats. They don't play well in a blue-collar city like Greensboro as it's not prosperous enough to withstand their eventual pernicious effects. The main goal of government at city level should be to insure the safety and prosperity of its citizenry, with "equity" and "diversity" somewhere below checking the tire pressure on the mayor's car. It ain't Boston and it ain't New York, though it's murder rate is higher than both. It's gotta be nuts and bolts first. Get the crime down, keep taxes reasonable, keep upgrading infrastructure and the jobs will come. You're looking right through Greensboro at Charlotte and Raleigh. Don't.

Old 12-21-2022, 06:18 AM

385 posts, read 288,510 times
Quote:
Good point about corporations needing to do more then donate to charities. They Do need to give back another way to the community they choose to have their company based in and help add to the value of the community! And also the colleges need to add value to the community that's not just for their students. A &T could do a lot for the area that surrounds that campus and Elon Law could also do a lot for Greensboro. They need to contribute to adding value to the whole city and not just focus on new student buildings ( in which doesn't really add value in my eyes, because said student will just attend the program, then graduate and move to a city that has more to offer residents) Greensboros issue is retaining adults, that are in their 25-45 age range. I myself an not sure what all the city is missing to help attract this range . But I think some things that would help are stores and restaurants with longer hours of operations even if just on wknds, a better feel of safety downtown ( some parts of downtown , I start Power walking, just to hurry up and past sketchy looking situations), no more breweries especially in downtown area. ( I'd rather something else more unique take up space then another brewery. Downtown Greensboro seems to cater to the college crowds and I can't really blame them, as it's their biggest clientale, but I wish business would alsothink about the age group outside the college age range..

Old 02-15-2023, 11:02 AM

2,679 posts, read 2,898,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadfromnc_2000 View Post
Good point about corporations needing to do more then donate to charities. They Do need to give back another way to the community they choose to have their company based in and help add to the value of the community! And also the colleges need to add value to the community that's not just for their students. A &T could do a lot for the area that surrounds that campus and Elon Law could also do a lot for Greensboro. They need to contribute to adding value to the whole city and not just focus on new student buildings ( in which doesn't really add value in my eyes, because said student will just attend the program, then graduate and move to a city that has more to offer residents) Greensboros issue is retaining adults, that are in their 25-45 age range. I myself an not sure what all the city is missing to help attract this range . But I think some things that would help are stores and restaurants with longer hours of operations even if just on wknds, a better feel of safety downtown ( some parts of downtown , I start Power walking, just to hurry up and past sketchy looking situations), no more breweries especially in downtown area. ( I'd rather something else more unique take up space then another brewery. Downtown Greensboro seems to cater to the college crowds and I can't really blame them, as it's their biggest clientale, but I wish business would alsothink about the age group outside the college age range..
You and GSOBoi make really good points. I just don’t know why the stakeholders (who can really push buttons) are just so “oh well” , “good enough is fine…no need to try to be great” about it all. I just don’t get it.

This city has to start attracting and retaining a diversity of top talent in the age range you posted to thrive and be great. And I agree about what new establishments are NOT needed downtown. Maybe someday it’ll all click .

Old 02-15-2023, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UserNamesake View Post
You and GSOBoi make really good points. I just don’t know why the stakeholders (who can really push buttons) are just so “oh well” , “good enough is fine…no need to try to be great” about it all. I just don’t get it.

This city has to start attracting and retaining a diversity of top talent in the age range you posted to thrive and be great. And I agree about what new establishments are NOT needed downtown. Maybe someday it’ll all click .
Thanks @UserNamesake . I hope it clicks too and soon.. I don't want it to be 2030 and have the city still be jumping for joy when a new brewery announces its plans to arrive downtown. Or hear about a college planning a new student building that will only have the student attend the program then leave and spend their earning potential in cities that has more to offer them as residents. Time will tell..

Old 02-16-2023, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadfromnc_2000 View Post
Thanks @UserNamesake . I hope it clicks too and soon.. I don't want it to be 2030 and have the city still be jumping for joy when a new brewery announces its plans to arrive downtown. Or hear about a college planning a new student building that will only have the student attend the program then leave and spend their earning potential in cities that has more to offer them as residents. Time will tell..
That’s only seven years. It’s seems far off but it’s really not. It’ll be here before you know it. Not holding my breath on that date. The city needs a group of people to revitalize and invigorate things. I keep saying it’s gonna come from outside the city and possibly from outside of the state. I don’t think anybody homegrown cares enough and if they do, they aren’t gonna be positioned and/or aren’t currently positioned to effect change.

We’ll likely have to deal with this well beyond 2030. Smh

Old 02-16-2023, 10:14 AM

6,156 posts, read 7,218,316 times
I think Greensboro needs to study what Greenville, SC is doing. It's a smaller city but still similar in size when compared to cities such as Charlotte. Yet Greenville's economy is booming and there is development every downtown and around the city. Greenville is also doing a better job attracting companies to their city. The problem Greensboro is that we still have that blue collar mindset. Also there is a lack of excitement about our community and honestly I feel like people just don't care.

Old 02-16-2023, 10:33 AM

Yea, your right. 7 years will come and go before you know it.. and Greensboro will probably be in same situation as it is now.. but with just an additional 4 more brewery's and 1 more hotel added to downtown

Old 02-16-2023, 11:43 AM

Quote:
I think Greensboro needs to study what Greenville, SC is doing. It's a smaller city but still similar in size when compared to cities such as Charlotte. Yet Greenville's economy is booming and there is development every downtown and around the city. Greenville is also doing a better job attracting companies to their city. The problem Greensboro is that we still have that blue collar mindset. Also there is a lack of excitement about our community and honestly I feel like people just don't care.
The apathy here is really astonishing. Only places I encounter these discussions are on CD and Reddit. In real life it’s rare and the most I get is an acknowledgment that there’s a lot to be desired but “it is what it is. *shrug*” … and that’s usually from out of towners who just so happen to land here for whatever reason.

People aren’t really invested. Many are raising families and as long as the basics are in place, then “that’ll do.

I meant to add that yes, Greenville, SC is a wonderful case study. They’re really doing it right down there.

And Yeah chad, I think you’re right once again .

Last edited by UserNamesake; 02-16-2023 at 11:58 AM..

Old 02-17-2023, 01:09 PM

749 posts, read 1,315,621 times
Quote:
The triad in general could learn a lot from the Upstate area. The parallels are there, multi-centered metros, similar distances to larger metros, similar populations, both in fast growing states. Yet the upstate didn't let its smaller stature or location deter the focus. The area has really came into its own as of late. The triad needs to focus on how to thrive with nearby successful metros, not in spite of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point