Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2013, 04:38 AM

81 posts, read 203,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rx7god View Post
Hey, can anyone tell me what ESA do at BMW and why BMW and 5 different places are hiring them so strongly? Is it hard work or do they treat ESA like crap and cannot keep people?
ESA is a good position. The reason for the hiring is due to plant expansion, not people leaving. It's a maintenance-type position. ESA's are on site to get things back up and running if there is any type of mechanical/electrical failure. They are also doing preventative maintence. They work on conveyors, robots, etc. Well paid position with overtime available. Solid job security. Have to be willing to work weekends, holidays, plant shutdown.

Others can add more detail. This is a high level view.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2013, 12:40 PM

9,503 posts, read 9,821,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonme89 View Post
Anybody know what kind of work goes on inside the body shop? What if you don't know how to weld? What other kind of work goes on in there?
I say about 20% of the body is still welded by humans. The rest by robots. As a temp worker, you would most likely just be putting the body parts into the area where the robots can grab them and start their welding.

I second what Rockside said about ESA's. There is just so much automation equipment being added (body shop expansion, new body shop, new paint shop) that there is a great need for them. There is a very good chance you will work nights. And that is where the problem lies. Many good ESA's leave BMW because they cannot get on days. I know a few ESA's that make north of 6 figures (OT, weekends, etc...)

Old 05-17-2013, 02:24 AM

2 posts, read 10,108 times
Thank you Rockside and USNRET04 for the information. I am in the process of going thru the process with Belcan for an ESA. I am young so weekends and holidays are a small price to pay. Are you guys familiar with the testing process? So far I know there is a written aptitude/knowledge test and electrical troubleshooting test with live current?

Old 05-17-2013, 06:20 AM

9,503 posts, read 9,821,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rx7god View Post
Thank you Rockside and USNRET04 for the information. I am in the process of going thru the process with Belcan for an ESA. I am young so weekends and holidays are a small price to pay. Are you guys familiar with the testing process? So far I know there is a written aptitude/knowledge test and electrical troubleshooting test with live current?
I'm not an ESA, but I spoke to one that took the test many years ago and he said the apptitude/knowlege was a broad test over your field of your job. Electrical, mechanical, controls, etc... He said the test wasn't overly hard, but if you have been through technical school, you should do OK.

Good Luck!

Old 05-27-2013, 07:28 PM

11 posts, read 37,149 times
Yes I guess I should have phrased my sentence different about the x-5. I meant the style it is now. Sorry for the hiccup.

Old 06-09-2013, 06:59 PM

2 posts, read 7,306 times
Been lurking for a while. I was hired by MAU at the beginning of 2011; at that time I was in the plant working within 1 month of my first interview. The work IS NOT easy; according to what dept your in. There is a chance to become full time BMW associates; but you must commit. I received my full time hire "letter" 2 days ago. I spent 2 years as a temp, missed 1 day in 2 years. A lot of ppl apply an think its gonna be a walk in the park, those are the ones that don't make it out of week 1. I don't want to discourage anyone from applying. Get in while you can and work your hardest.

Old 06-09-2013, 07:09 PM

807 posts, read 1,785,261 times
Congratulations! I'm glad your good work ethics & dedication paid off. You are right, apparently it is not easy. My stepdaughter lost 16 pounds in the first couple of weeks. I'm sure that was from sweating. Glad you stuck it out & best wishes for your continued success.

Old 06-25-2013, 06:27 PM

1 posts, read 6,015 times
I made it thru part 1. I have a contractor job now that pays around $20 a hour. If I get the BMW job, that is close to a $10k cut. Love to work there as I hear it's great IF you get hired F/T. But not sure I could take that paycut for that long as most have told me takes at least 1 year to get on F/T & even that is iffy. Don't know what to do. Ugh!

Old 07-27-2013, 07:29 PM

3 posts, read 14,599 times
Anybody have any info on what orientation is about and how many days it is?

Old 08-28-2013, 06:18 PM

61 posts, read 218,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockside View Post
ESA is a good position. The reason for the hiring is due to plant expansion, not people leaving. It's a maintenance-type position. ESA's are on site to get things back up and running if there is any type of mechanical/electrical failure. They are also doing preventative maintence. They work on conveyors, robots, etc. Well paid position with overtime available. Solid job security. Have to be willing to work weekends, holidays, plant shutdown.

Others can add more detail. This is a high level view.
Not a lot of people leave while being an ESA but expect 3rd shift for a very long time. Othwise BMW is hiring over 400 people right now. However the last 2-3 months the management from what I`ve seen has been on a crackdown fopr every little thing they could do to slim the field down ,specially with TOS/mau. One reason they hire every year is because after the march bonus and july pay(hardly even getting a check for a month). ,quite a few people leave because they can`t survive on the crappy pay,terrible hours,bad supervisors who treat anyone who isn`t a line worker like a 2nd class citizen,and needless to say the 1 mile walk to get into the plant with hardly any coverage from the rain and lightning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area