Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2018, 11:02 AM

17,587 posts, read 15,259,939 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
Apparently the Red Burrito concept has been dropped at most local Hardee's locations in the region. I guess they were not effectively competing with Taco Bell in the quick serve Mexican category, although it was intended to be a higher tier food quality.

And speaking of Hardee's, I still do not understand why they no longer offer some of the Carl's Jr. signature sandwiches, such as Famous Star, Superstar, Western Star, and Big Carl (Big Twin). If they did, I would choose to dine there much more often. Originally that was their plan when CKE acquired Hardee's. The Thickburgers are a nice upgrade, but they should still offer the flagship sandwiches represented by their Happy Star logo. And I was also disappointed when they dropped Roy Rogers fried chicken, but I understand that may have been a proprietary recipe and they no longer may have the rights as a separate company.
Hardee's operating method seems to currently be "Special" burgers. they're just introducing a special burger about once a month to get people in the doors. The Big Twin comes around once a year or so. The "Star" burgers I thought were on the menu, just under different names. Called the 'Thickburgers' rather than "Star".

The chicken, I've discussed many times before. Hardee's as far as I know, still owns the recipe or at least has the rights to use it. If they are removing the Red Burrito, the likely reason is the same reason they dropped the chicken.. Attempting to do too many things. Chicken was far more difficult because it took 20 minutes to cook it.. You can't make it fresh (And it was damn good when fresh) and expect someone to wait 20 minutes for it.

I haven't been to a Roy's in years, so I don't know if they still do chicken or not.. Looking at their website, they apparently do.

Breakfast is what keeps the doors open, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2018, 11:31 AM

5,162 posts, read 7,360,005 times
While Hardee's indeed offers Thickburgers, they are not the same as the flagship Star burgers still served at Carl's Jr. The Star burgers at Carl's all offer the thin patty burgers, with the Superstar and Big Carl being the double versions with special sauces. The Big Carl is the same as the original Hardee's Big Twin with the 1000 Island sauce, not the same as the smaller Big Twin that periodically returns to Hardee's as a special limited time offer. The Famous Star and Superstar have mayo and a special red sauce similar to Bob's Big Boy in California.

Big Boy varies by region. California Bob's Big Boy has red relish sauce and mayo, Nichigan Big Boy has 1000 Island sauce, and Frischs Big Boy in Ohio, Indiana, and Kentucky have tartar sauce.

Old 04-02-2018, 01:41 PM

If you look at the Carl's Jr. menu on the website, under burgers they still list Famous Star, Superstar, and Big Carl. At sister chain Hardee's I always liked to order either the Superstar or the original Big Twin, same as the Big Carl. And I really liked their Roy Rogers fried chicken. So I am disappointed that the menu items I primarlly preferred are no longer offered at Hardee's. I understand some Hardee's in Virginia may still offer fried chicken that may be similar to the Roy Rogers recipe, but they may no longer have the rights to the Roy Rogers name or exact recipe, since Roy Rogers is now a separate company.

Old 04-02-2018, 02:22 PM

17,587 posts, read 15,259,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
If you look at the Carl's Jr. menu on the website, under burgers they still list Famous Star, Superstar, and Big Carl. At sister chain Hardee's I always liked to order either the Superstar or the original Big Twin, same as the Big Carl. And I really liked their Roy Rogers fried chicken. So I am disappointed that the menu items I primarlly preferred are no longer offered at Hardee's. I understand some Hardee's in Virginia may still offer fried chicken that may be similar to the Roy Rogers recipe, but they may no longer have the rights to the Roy Rogers name or exact recipe, since Roy Rogers is now a separate company.

I wonder, if Hardee's is removing Red Burrito.. Is Carl's removing Green Burrito?

I can't imagine they would. The areas where Carl's is located probably has a much greater demand.

I did actually have some of the Red Burrito items from Hardee's.. I did think it was better than Taco Bell.. But that's not saying a whole lot.

Old 04-02-2018, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
I wonder, if Hardee's is removing Red Burrito.. Is Carl's removing Green Burrito?

I can't imagine they would. The areas where Carl's is located probably has a much greater demand.

I did actually have some of the Red Burrito items from Hardee's.. I did think it was better than Taco Bell.. But that's not saying a whole lot.
It may just be certain Red Burrito locations in this area. I am not sure if it is being done nationwide. The Green Burrito seems to do well at Carl's Jr. on the West coast.

Also, for the first time, CKE is expanding the Carl's Jr. concept to the East coast in New York and New Jersey,where Hardee's historically had a very limited presence and was not well received above Fredericksburg, Virginia. And the Hardee's brand suffered after the failed Roy Rogers conversion in Northern Virginia and Maryland. I would also expect CKE to eventually expand Carl's Jr. in Northern Virginia, Maryland, and DC since Hardee's is not popular there and Carl's Jr. has a more urban feel. CKE needs to infill the Mid Atlantic region to be a national brand, and Hardee's only does well in the more southern parts of Virginia. There are a few Hardee's in more rural areas of Maryland, but Roy Rogers is a stronger name making a comeback. I think it would be a wise move for CKE to use the Carl's Jr. brand in this region.

Old 04-02-2018, 06:51 PM

461 posts, read 985,515 times
Looked like the Epic Curean was cleaning out the building today, right on earlier reported schedule.

Old 04-02-2018, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanigan911 View Post
Looked like the Epic Curean was cleaning out the building today, right on earlier reported schedule.
I did not realize they were closing. This seems an ideal location for a good diner, and it originally was a Perkins. So how about a Denny's or better yet a Shoney's or a Big Boy?

Old 04-02-2018, 09:49 PM

1,267 posts, read 1,212,411 times
Its sad, The Stak's group of restaurants was on top of the world 15 years ago.I think they are now down to 1or 2? and they pretty much were all good in their day.

Old 04-02-2018, 10:06 PM

826 posts, read 1,126,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mckee16 View Post
Its sad, The Stak's group of restaurants was on top of the world 15 years ago.I think they are now down to 1or 2? and they pretty much were all good in their day.
Epic Curean wasn’t a Stax restaurant for very long. Less than a year I think. Not sure what went on with that, but it seemed odd.

Old 04-02-2018, 10:46 PM

1,267 posts, read 1,212,411 times
The Titanic Band was still playing just before the ship went down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area