Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2018, 12:30 PM

4,600 posts, read 6,014,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
actually, the Hardee's is a few doors down..

What happened is that in the early to mid 90's, Hardee's added Chicken to the menu.. Then in the late 90's or early 2000's, they stopped the chicken.. The franchisee in Greenwood, Anderson and Hendersonville got pissed because he had bought all the chicken equipment and dropped Hardee's and signed on as a Popeye's franchise. So.. he converted his restaurants to Popeye's.. Then Hardee's built replacement units in Greenwood and Anderson... The franchisee then went out of business.. So, the one in Hendersonville (OR thereabout.. Don't think it was Hendersonville proper) they turned BACK into a Hardee's. A real mess all around. But, if I'm not mistaken, the location in Anderson is a few doors up from the original Hardee's. I know a new one was built, but I may be mistaken and they may have demo'ed the old Popeyes and rebuilt on the same lot. It was 20 years ago.. I can't remember yesterday.
One of those was off I-40 in West Asheville I believe. That may be the one you are thinking of. It was a Popeyes's around 99 and I believe it had been a Hardee's. Used to stop off there on the way to Knoxville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2018, 12:31 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,445,360 times
Church's may be back. Apparently corporate is working the issues out and these closures are supposed to be temporary. Don't take my word for it, but that's what I've heard from a couple places.

Old 03-05-2018, 01:21 PM

69 posts, read 73,668 times
Default Tijuana Flats - Woodruff and Haywood Road locations closed

Owners abruptly close two Greenville restaurants Not real surprised as it was another Tex-Mex thing and we have plenty of those.

Old 03-05-2018, 01:54 PM

5,999 posts, read 7,097,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vistatiger View Post
I liked them but would be nice to see Qdoba take their place. They could just move right in with a few interior changes.
Qdoba's may be not much longer, looks like bankruptcy is near.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...oba/964005001/

Old 03-05-2018, 02:41 PM

17,574 posts, read 15,247,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vistatiger View Post
One of those was off I-40 in West Asheville I believe. That may be the one you are thinking of. It was a Popeyes's around 99 and I believe it had been a Hardee's. Used to stop off there on the way to Knoxville.
You may be right.. It was right off I-40.. I was thinking it was more down towards Hendersonville, but it certainly could have been up by Asheville.

That was a weird franchisee, because all the others in the upstate and western NC were owned by Spartan Foods/Flagstar/Advantica until they sold them back to corporate when CKE bought Hardee's. The footprint was huge.. Alabama, a touch of Mississippi.. Western NC, Upstate and Columbia SC, Northeast Georgia (Lawrenceville was the furthest towards Atlanta as I recall), Nashville and Knoxville in Tennessee and the Jacksonville, FL areas were Richardson units.

Then you had the southern SC areas that were Cale Yarborough owned.. Atlanta area.. No idea who had those. And this one guy with Greenwood, Anderson and that one store in western NC.

Old 03-05-2018, 04:10 PM

428 posts, read 362,382 times
Quote:
actually, the Hardee's is a few doors down..

What happened is that in the early to mid 90's, Hardee's added Chicken to the menu.. Then in the late 90's or early 2000's, they stopped the chicken.. The franchisee in Greenwood, Anderson and Hendersonville got pissed because he had bought all the chicken equipment and dropped Hardee's and signed on as a Popeye's franchise. So.. he converted his restaurants to Popeye's.. Then Hardee's built replacement units in Greenwood and Anderson... The franchisee then went out of business.. So, the one in Hendersonville (OR thereabout.. Don't think it was Hendersonville proper) they turned BACK into a Hardee's. A real mess all around. But, if I'm not mistaken, the location in Anderson is a few doors up from the original Hardee's. I know a new one was built, but I may be mistaken and they may have demo'ed the old Popeyes and rebuilt on the same lot. It was 20 years ago.. I can't remember yesterday.
That makes sense. I used to stop at the Greenwood Popeyes on the way to Augusta back then. It's now a hibachi place.

Old 03-05-2018, 04:13 PM

428 posts, read 362,382 times
They closed a few Churchs here in Augusta. That was a few years ago. They never reopened

Old 03-05-2018, 04:18 PM

17,574 posts, read 15,247,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frenzy_army View Post
That makes sense. I used to stop at the Greenwood Popeyes on the way to Augusta back then. It's now a hibachi place.
Yeah.. Hardee's got the better location when they rebuilt in 1999/2000 or so up by the new theater on 72(?) as all that construction was going on.

That old location was.. Crappy. Not so much the building or anything, though that was probably crappy too.. Just the physical location.

As I recall.. The guy didn't make it long as a Popeye's.. Maybe a couple of years, and that's something of a stretch.

Old 03-05-2018, 05:13 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,445,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frenzy_army View Post
They closed a few Churchs here in Augusta. That was a few years ago. They never reopened
I'm talking about the Churchs' that recently closed abruptly, not ones that closed years ago.

Old 03-07-2018, 06:59 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,751,778 times
Quote:
So apparently the only Church's Chicken left is the Augusta Rd location. Poinsett and Pleasantburg have closed.

Some big foreclosure fight between the franchisee and the property owner.. Apparently 24 locations across SC closed over the past 2 weeks or so.

The restaurant chain has been told the stores closed because the landlord of the property evicted the franchisee, according to a statement provided by a representative of Church's Chicken.

"Church’s corporate in Atlanta is in contact with the landlord and is attempting to secure new leases so that the locations could be reopened as company-operated Church’s restaurants," the statement said. "We are doing everything in our power to make that happen. The franchisee has told us he plans to pay all of his employees any and all wages owed."

https://www.greenvilleonline.com/sto...sed/350811002/

Love me some Church's!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area