Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2020, 05:35 AM

4,601 posts, read 6,018,666 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan In SC View Post
It feels like Woodruff Rd is a victim of its own success. Everyone I know tries to avoid it because of the traffic, and yet the traffic seems to only get worse. Despite all the traffic, businesses are not doing well because its too hard for people to get to them. I'd like to think that fewer businesses will eventually reduce some of the traffic, but I'm just not sure.
I believe those closings aren't related to Woodruff Road traffic. All those companies have filed bankruptcy due to their debt load and are closing locations Nationwide. That shopping center is just a victim of that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2020, 09:55 AM

1,077 posts, read 1,650,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vistatiger View Post
I believe those closings aren't related to Woodruff Road traffic. All those companies have filed bankruptcy due to their debt load and are closing locations Nationwide. That shopping center is just a victim of that.
I agree and I think that most businesses in this shopping center that haven't moved for years just shows that they have been struggling. Most businesses with the capital would have moved to newer or renovated centers as they came online. These have just stayed put. Literally almost every business there is on the retail death watch list (including Party City, Old Navy (parent company Gap), Bed Bath and Beyond, Christmas Tree Shops (parent company Bed Bath and Beyond)). Is there a single business in that strip that does well? Needs to be imploded and put something else there - offices, apartments, hotels, something. We have too much empty retail space in Greenville.

Old 01-28-2020, 01:34 PM

115 posts, read 104,525 times
A coworker of mines who spouse work for the Sears at Haywood mall had said that upper management there have been talking about a possibility of it closing. The word was that they are trying to get rid of inventories there and then liquidate what they have left. Possibility this spring or summer.

Old 01-29-2020, 05:53 AM

21,023 posts, read 27,249,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OliverML View Post
A coworker of mines who spouse work for the Sears at Haywood mall had said that upper management there have been talking about a possibility of it closing. The word was that they are trying to get rid of inventories there and then liquidate what they have left. Possibility this spring or summer.
I doubt Sears Holdings survives 2020.

Old 01-29-2020, 08:48 AM

17,584 posts, read 15,259,939 times
because someone brought it up.. my understanding is that the Sears outlet is not connected to Sears at all.

I'm reading up on it and.. Holy crap that situation is confusing. I can't tell what's happening there, but certainly seems Sears Outlet is independent of Sears.

Old 01-29-2020, 10:06 AM

4,601 posts, read 6,018,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
because someone brought it up.. my understanding is that the Sears outlet is not connected to Sears at all.

I'm reading up on it and.. Holy crap that situation is confusing. I can't tell what's happening there, but certainly seems Sears Outlet is independent of Sears.
Yes. Confusing. The way I understand it Lambert purchased the Hometown Stores only recently to add to the around 100 full line Sears stores that are left and were purchased out of bankruptcy. Liberty Tax Services which apparently owns Buddy's Rental Stores purchased the remaining Outlet locations. I guess they want to be in the leasing business.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/sears-w...es-11579530928

I know one thing walked through that Haywood Sears store the other week and it is pitiful. Hardly a soul in there. Belk and Macy's were much busier that particular day.

Old 01-29-2020, 02:43 PM

446 posts, read 415,478 times
Just shut down Sears and put Alamo Drafthouse there if they can't get it done by TopGolf.

Old 01-29-2020, 04:33 PM

503 posts, read 693,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWP69 View Post
Just shut down Sears and put Alamo Drafthouse there if they can't get it done by TopGolf.

That or turn it into an indoor fun park like a frankies with go karts and such all indoors.

Old 02-03-2020, 09:08 AM

401 posts, read 379,338 times
Earth Fare announce entire chain is closing, liquidation sales to begin. I doubt the empty anchor space at Pelham/85 shopping center will stay vacant long.

https://www.foxcarolina.com/news/ear...28c572bee.html

Old 02-03-2020, 09:16 AM

21,023 posts, read 27,249,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wedge71 View Post
Earth Fare announce entire chain is closing, liquidation sales to begin. I doubt the empty anchor space at Pelham/85 shopping center will stay vacant long.

https://www.foxcarolina.com/news/ear...28c572bee.html
I wonder if Publix Super Markets will expand GreenWise Market to Greenville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area