Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2020, 03:43 PM

428 posts, read 362,705 times

Advertisements

Malls are going the way of the Dinosaur
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2020, 03:50 PM

5,162 posts, read 7,360,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frenzy_army View Post
Malls are going the way of the Dinosaur
Secondary malls are closing, but top tier destination malls are still strong. I still prefer to visit a brick and mortar store, as I don't order everything from Amazon. Especially clothes and accessories.

Old 01-05-2020, 03:56 PM

5,162 posts, read 7,360,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
Haywood? You can't be serious. Haywood is doing very well compared to most malls in the country. The facade needs a face lift, but Simon renovated the mall in 2016, and has landed Apple, Grill Marks, Cheesecake Factory, Lego Store, Saltwater Kitchen, Forever 21, etc. I could see Microsoft, H&M, maybe even a Crate and Barrel soon.

Most malls wish they could be in the same position as Haywood is. Haywood's health has also made Haywood Rd healthier and made the city want to invest in it.
Haywood is the destination mall for the Upstate, and it will remain strong. But secondary shopping centers will continue to scale back or shut down due to increased competition from online vendors.

Most likely the Sears store will eventually shut down. Perhaps Belk could acquire part of the store for an expanded Mens's or Home store similar to Columbia. The expanded Men's store there in the old Sears at Columbiana is very large and nice. Or perhaps Simon would create a lifestyle center with smaller shops, offices, bars, or restaurants.

Old 01-05-2020, 04:33 PM

654 posts, read 364,256 times
Both Sears and JCPenney will be gone at some point.

There is a higher-end department store named Von Maur, now in Atlanta and Birmingham, that is eyeing a move north. I hope that something like it comes to Haywood, or elsewhere in town. Compared to downtown (and how Greenville Mall was), the Haywood Mall shopper seems kind of rough so I wonder about the mall’s demographics.

I wouldn’t be celebrating Haywood getting a Forever 21: a mid-tier retailer that is bankrupt.

Old 01-05-2020, 05:36 PM

4,601 posts, read 6,018,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GVLNATIVE View Post
Both Sears and JCPenney will be gone at some point.

There is a higher-end department store named Von Maur, now in Atlanta and Birmingham, that is eyeing a move north. I hope that something like it comes to Haywood, or elsewhere in town. Compared to downtown (and how Greenville Mall was), the Haywood Mall shopper seems kind of rough so I wonder about the mall’s demographics.

I wouldn’t be celebrating Haywood getting a Forever 21: a mid-tier retailer that is bankrupt.
Von Maur eyeing moves south . That is a midwest Davenport Iowa based chain with southern outpost in ATL and Birmingham. Haywood already has VM's women's clothing store called Dry Goods. Could be wrong but don't see them or Nordstrom putting a full line store in Greenville. I suspect any future department store exit at Haywood will be redeveloped mixed use with apartments and entertainment like what is replacing Sears at Asheville Mall.

Old 01-05-2020, 06:48 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,449,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
Haywood is the destination mall for the Upstate, and it will remain strong. But secondary shopping centers will continue to scale back or shut down due to increased competition from online vendors.

Most likely the Sears store will eventually shut down. Perhaps Belk could acquire part of the store for an expanded Mens's or Home store similar to Columbia. The expanded Men's store there in the old Sears at Columbiana is very large and nice. Or perhaps Simon would create a lifestyle center with smaller shops, offices, bars, or restaurants.
Yes but the poster was referring to Haywood, which Simon definitely has not neglected. Westgate seems to be doing fine. Anderson Mall is nothing special as it's full of mom and pops now, but it still gets traffic regardless.

Online is not going to complete kill these malls, and it wasn't the biggest killer in the first place. The biggest killers was oversaturation, and having too many malls in town when retail had spread around. Haywood got even stronger after McAlister Square and Greenville left. Same thing in Columbia: Columbiana has landed some big names now that Richland and Dutch Square are gone. And Northwoods Mall is booming while Citadel Mall crumbles.

Sears will shut down, it's a matter of when, not if, but still, Sears wants a good deal. They're basically a real estate company at this point, which is why they've invested nothing into their stores. They're not in it for the store, they're in for the land.

When Sears does close, I hope Simon has a vision and acquires it, otherwise it'll just sit there. I can see it being torn down to make way for an open air plaza concept, which is becoming a trend. See Intl Plaza and Bay Street in Tampa or Streets at Southpoint in Durham as examples. Maybe then H&M will come. They want to be in Haywood, but there's nowhere to put one.

Old 01-06-2020, 07:02 PM

4,601 posts, read 6,018,666 times
Pier One closing up to 50% of stores. Does anyone shop there anymore? Looks like they were all at more reasonably priced TJMaxx and Homegoods over the holidays for home stuff.

Old 01-08-2020, 11:19 PM

41 posts, read 57,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBum View Post
I have eaten at the Golden Chick in Greenwood and also on Pelham. The chicken and sides were ok but definitely not anything memorable, and was too expensive to be so mediocre. I probably won't be back.
I didn't go back. Seems like nobody else did either.

Old 01-09-2020, 06:42 AM

2,213 posts, read 2,844,644 times
I really like going on long-winded tirades with my father in law about how awesome Sears used to be back in the day.

People stopped going to Sears and JC Penny because for low level clothing purchases (or really anything you could buy at Sears) , Walmart came around. And why make a special trip to the mall when you can get similar quality clothes on your grocery shopping trip? or Costco or Samsclub or Target, etc.

It also didn't help that Sears sold off all their trusted brands(Craftsman, DieHard, Kenmore), further eliminating any reason to go there.

Old 01-11-2020, 05:27 AM

56 posts, read 57,918 times
I went to Haywood Mall last night and saw Shomars, my favorite restaurant there was closed. I hate going to Haywood Mall but I absolutely love eating at Shomars,they had the best onion rings around. I guess another Asian restaurant will get that prime spot in their Asian food court.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area