Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2018, 10:10 AM

4,601 posts, read 6,018,666 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Someone on Facebook mentioned that Chief's Wings and Firewater had closed. Apparently was sold, new owner couldn't get a liquor license. Apparently something new is already planned to be opened there.
I remember when that building on Congaree was the Grandma's Saloon and Deli chain out of Minnesota originally in the 90's and Chiefs was located in the Orchard Park area across from Stax Omega.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2018, 10:13 AM

11,706 posts, read 24,794,766 times
Quote:
Someone on Facebook mentioned that Chief's Wings and Firewater had closed. Apparently was sold, new owner couldn't get a liquor license. Apparently something new is already planned to be opened there.
That seems really odd.

Old 07-13-2018, 10:41 AM

4,601 posts, read 6,018,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
That seems really odd.
I noticed the electronic sign next to 385 says it is now closed for over a week now at least i would say.

I wonder if all the openings of other brewery style restaurants stole some of their thunder. How many of those does a small city the size of Greenville need?

Last edited by vistatiger; 07-13-2018 at 11:07 AM..

Old 07-13-2018, 01:14 PM

1,947 posts, read 2,759,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vistatiger View Post
I noticed the electronic sign next to 385 says it is now closed for over a week now at least i would say.

I wonder if all the openings of other brewery style restaurants stole some of their thunder. How many of those does a small city the size of Greenville need?
These establishments serve a large population of over 500,000 people.

Old 07-13-2018, 01:24 PM

17,587 posts, read 15,259,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by furmanpals View Post
These establishments serve a large population of over 500,000 people.

Chiefs was one of the oldest establishments of its type.. Sometimes the new and fancy wins out over the old and dated.. Not saying that's the case and I know Chiefs building was relatively new, at least to them.. But again.. People are saying it was due to the person who bought it not being able to get a liquor license. That'll get a place like that closed real quick, if they can't serve alcohol.

My understanding is that this was only the Greenville location as well. Spartanburg unaffected.

Old 07-13-2018, 03:54 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,049,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vistatiger View Post
I remember when that building on Congaree was the Grandma's Saloon and Deli chain out of Minnesota originally in the 90's and Chiefs was located in the Orchard Park area across from Stax Omega.
Yep! Was it the Crustacean Shorehouse or something like that before Grandmas ?

Old 07-13-2018, 06:22 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,794,766 times
Why were they denied twice? https://www.greenvilleonline.com/sto...ses/784226002/

Old 07-13-2018, 06:47 PM

214 posts, read 301,251 times
Quote:
Chiefs was one of the oldest establishments of its type.. Sometimes the new and fancy wins out over the old and dated.. Not saying that's the case and I know Chiefs building was relatively new, at least to them.. But again.. People are saying it was due to the person who bought it not being able to get a liquor license. That'll get a place like that closed real quick, if they can't serve alcohol.

My understanding is that this was only the Greenville location as well. Spartanburg unaffected.
It's not that "new and fancy" wins out over the older, it's that people take notice when the former quality (both food and service wise) declines to the point that pretty much any option will be better. We used to go to Chiefs across from Stax. The quality of food was good, the service was good. I went to the "new" location on Congaree once and said I was done. My parents went about 3 times, I think my brother and his wife made it 5 times. Possibly because we aren't big drinkers, I think we noped out of Chiefs faster than others we knew who were putting up with the sliding service and quality of food because it was a place to hang out and drink.

The location in Anderson that closed around 2012 and lasted for only a couple of years crashed and burned for the same reason - horrible service, bad food.

Old 07-14-2018, 02:32 PM

428 posts, read 362,705 times
I also remember when we moved to greenville Chiefs got a horrible food score by the health department. So we never ate there.

Old 07-17-2018, 06:15 AM

321 posts, read 406,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
I couldn't access that link but I assume you are talking about Chief's. Someone on Facebook said it was because the new owner was a felon and apparently that's a no-go for a SC liquor license.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area