Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2021, 02:48 PM

1,912 posts, read 1,130,026 times

Advertisements

I loved Greenville Mall when it had Harold's in it. Parisian was a really nice store, too.

I shudder to think how much money the investors lost when they built and re-built Greenville Mall. Such a shame.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2021, 03:47 PM

5,162 posts, read 7,364,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSPNative View Post
I loved Greenville Mall when it had Harold's in it. Parisian was a really nice store, too.

I shudder to think how much money the investors lost when they built and re-built Greenville Mall. Such a shame.
Parisian was a nice store operated by Saks. Then it was sold and converted to Belk, although the Greenville Mall store had already closed at that point. Too bad the Greenville Mall could not be revitalized as it had a good location and nice layout.

Old 08-03-2021, 04:17 PM

17,598 posts, read 15,272,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
Parisian was a nice store operated by Saks. Then it was sold and converted to Belk, although the Greenville Mall store had already closed at that point. Too bad the Greenville Mall could not be revitalized as it had a good location and nice layout.

How could it have been repurposed is my question?

I mean, there's not a whole lot of success stories repurposing a mall.. not many success stories for revamping them, either, to be honest.

Now.. Bell Tower enjoyed a nice long life extension after it was turned into county square.. I give that.. And McAlister Square has worked out well.. but.. That's two malls successfully repurposed here.. and with the rarity of a repurpose being successful, going for a third.. I don't see.

Greenwood Mall, formerly Crosscreek.. Has managed to keep itself afloat through some oddball things. I mean, they had a call center in there for a long while in one of the anchor sites, I think.. Either that or maybe the old theater.

Old 08-03-2021, 04:34 PM

1,912 posts, read 1,130,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post

I mean, there's not a whole lot of success stories repurposing a mall.. not many success stories for revamping them, either, to be honest.

Now.. Bell Tower enjoyed a nice long life extension after it was turned into county square.. I give that.. And McAlister Square has worked out well.. but.. That's two malls successfully repurposed here.. and with the rarity of a repurpose being successful, going for a third.. I don't see.

Greenwood Mall, formerly Crosscreek.. Has managed to keep itself afloat through some oddball things. I mean, they had a call center in there for a long while in one of the anchor sites, I think.. Either that or maybe the old theater.

When Greenville Mall still had department stores, there were plans (available online, perhaps not anymore) to take the roof off and make it an outdoor mall.

When its department stores all left, the department store buildings could have been demolished and rebuilt. Costco, Target (if it had waited a bit to come to Greenville) and perhaps other big-box stores could have been added where JB White, Parisian and Montgomery Ward were. The interior of the mall was still very nice.

Bell Tower is rightly being demolished and McAlister Square really needs to go, too. Those were my childhood malls but there's nothing special about either one now; they're just late-1960s brick boxes that aren't the best use of their sites.

Old 08-03-2021, 06:05 PM

4,602 posts, read 6,022,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post

Yep Greenwood Mall has kind of transitioned themselves into more of a strip mall with TJMaxx, Belk
,Michaels a shoe store and Kay Jewelers with exterior entrances and built out their outparcels with CFA and Panera. The call center was in the former Wilson's/Service Merchandise anchor space on the back of the mall. The theater next to it was razed for more parking for the call center employees. The (Sykes) call center is now closed.

I agree GSPNative - always thought one big mistake Greenville Mall made was not luring some of the stores they watched go up on the perimeter and across the street like Old Navy, Bed Bath and Beyond and Target into the mall instead. The mall could have been reconfigured with many of those when the other anchors closed in late 90's and early 00's. Green Ridge might look different too if Greenville Mall had gotten Marshall's , Best Buy and others too.

Old 08-03-2021, 10:18 PM

192 posts, read 207,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vistatiger View Post
Yep Greenwood Mall has kind of transitioned themselves into more of a strip mall with TJMaxx, Belk
,Michaels a shoe store and Kay Jewelers with exterior entrances and built out their outparcels with CFA and Panera. The call center was in the former Wilson's/Service Merchandise anchor space on the back of the mall. The theater next to it was razed for more parking for the call center employees. The (Sykes) call center is now closed.

I agree GSPNative - always thought one big mistake Greenville Mall made was not luring some of the stores they watched go up on the perimeter and across the street like Old Navy, Bed Bath and Beyond and Target into the mall instead. The mall could have been reconfigured with many of those when the other anchors closed in late 90's and early 00's. Green Ridge might look different too if Greenville Mall had gotten Marshall's , Best Buy and others too.
The Michael's at the Greenwood Mall did permanently close this last January. Hopefully, they can get something in that front space. Maybe get a HomeGoods open in Spartanburg along with at that Greenwood Michael's space to help finalize things up.

Old 08-04-2021, 06:02 AM

4,602 posts, read 6,022,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim.brayden.sherman View Post
The Michael's at the Greenwood Mall did permanently close this last January. Hopefully, they can get something in that front space. Maybe get a HomeGoods open in Spartanburg along with at that Greenwood Michael's space to help finalize things up.
HomeGoods would be a good addition next to their sister store TJMaxx in Greenwood.

Old 08-04-2021, 11:29 AM

9,503 posts, read 9,824,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OliverML;
Magnolia park never came to fruit as vision. The remaining restaurant and retailer there are on life support. In about 5 years, it will be another empty shopping plaza. Look at the shopping strip next to it, the one with Old Navy. It sits empty. Retailers are dropping left and right closing their doors. No one is going to move in anymore. If we get lucky, they will turn it into another storage unit. Everything is online now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430;
I'm hoping for a super mattress store/car wash/storage unit
Y'all know this is something g-man would say.

Old 08-04-2021, 12:32 PM

428 posts, read 362,838 times
Greenville Mall was cool. I used to hang out there in the 90s when I was in high school. Much less crowded than Haywood. Great pizza place and arcade. Even an oyster bar.

Old 08-04-2021, 12:49 PM

1,947 posts, read 2,760,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frenzy_army View Post
Greenville Mall was cool. I used to hang out there in the 90s when I was in high school. Much less crowded than Haywood. Great pizza place and arcade. Even an oyster bar.
“Much less crowded.” That is the reason the Greenville Mall closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area