Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2012, 09:16 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,797,602 times

Advertisements

So they paid millions to build these stores as Bloom, then decide to convert them to Food Lion, and then finally come to the conclusion to close them just after a few years. Wow. I bet whoever made the decision to pay for all of these Food Lion/Bloom stores in the area is ripping their shirt off now. I wish they would have never built here in the first place. Thanks to these bozo's, the vacancy and unemployment rates are probably going to rise. Reminds me of the Southern Connector.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2012, 09:35 PM

4,602 posts, read 6,022,762 times
I think they need help in choosing their locations. They made some poor choices in terms of locations. The Georgia Rd location was brilliant because its the only game in a sea of subdivisions. That store is always busy. The strangest thing they did was open a Food Lion on one side of Clemson and Bloom on the Seneca side of the university. The FL closed within six months of opening and Bloom eventually changed to FL on the Seneca side and remains open. That store seems to do a good business.

Old 01-16-2012, 10:19 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,533,060 times
Those stores were planned and built during the downturn that was the recession and the game changed. With that many stores closing now I'm thinking they are in serious trouble. I wouldn't be surprised to hear of more closings in the middle of the year from them.

Old 01-16-2012, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
So they paid millions to build these stores as Bloom, then decide to convert them to Food Lion, and then finally come to the conclusion to close them just after a few years. Wow. I bet whoever made the decision to pay for all of these Food Lion/Bloom stores in the area is ripping their shirt off now. I wish they would have never built here in the first place. Thanks to these bozo's, the vacancy and unemployment rates are probably going to rise. Reminds me of the Southern Connector.
+1 Let's hope the SC doesn't have to close.

Old 01-17-2012, 09:17 PM

21,023 posts, read 27,262,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldemila View Post
GREER TODAY

Second story headline dated Jan. 12th:

Food Lion closing Greer store on S. Hwy. 14 within 30 days
Quote:
Originally Posted by vistatiger View Post
Another grocer should snap up that location. There is no other store close to it for people that live in that area. I would hate crossing that Pelham-85 area everytime something is needed from the store.
The only other competitors are (Super) Bi-Lo and Publix, all having locations near Thornblade (Pelham Road and The Parkway), Woodruff Road at East Butler Road, and Five Forks (Woodruff Road at North Batesville, Five Forks, and Scuffletown Roads).

This area also lacks a drug store. Bloom/Food Lion's lacking a pharmacy department was opportunity lost.

The former Mauldin store at Holland and Bridges Road left a grocery/pharmacy desert. Most people drive over to Woodruff Road, Mauldin, or Simpsonville to shop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by vistatiger View Post
I think they need help in choosing their locations. They made some poor choices in terms of locations. The Georgia Rd location was brilliant because its the only game in a sea of subdivisions. That store is always busy. The strangest thing they did was open a Food Lion on one side of Clemson and Bloom on the Seneca side of the university. The FL closed within six months of opening and Bloom eventually changed to FL on the Seneca side and remains open. That store seems to do a good business.
Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
Those stores were planned and built during the downturn that was the recession and the game changed. With that many stores closing now I'm thinking they are in serious trouble. I wouldn't be surprised to hear of more closings in the middle of the year from them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
+1 Let's hope the SC doesn't have to close.
Food Lion has several great locations: Anderson (North SC-81), Gaffney, Greenwood (two locations), Piedmont, Roebuck, Seneca, Simpsonville, Spartanburg (Garner Road), and Union. Most of these areas were grocery deserts, and now they are pharmacy deserts. Food Lion does not do enough to invest in many of their locations, such as adding pharmacy departments in many shopping centers they are located that do not have any drugstores.

Old 01-18-2012, 06:36 AM

958 posts, read 2,622,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Food Lion has several great locations: Anderson (North SC-81), Gaffney, Greenwood (two locations), Piedmont, Roebuck, Seneca, Simpsonville, Spartanburg (Garner Road), and Union. Most of these areas were grocery deserts, and now they are pharmacy deserts. Food Lion does not do enough to invest in many of their locations, such as adding pharmacy departments in many shopping centers they are located that do not have any drugstores.
The Spartanburg "desert" on Garner Road you mention has a CVS right next door to the Food Lion and a RiteAid a block or so away.

Old 01-18-2012, 12:06 PM

5,015 posts, read 8,186,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scguy89 View Post
The Blockbuster on Woodruff Road by Publix is closing. I was quite surprised when I stopped by yesterday and saw that they were selling everything, even the fixtures. The signs on the windows told customers to visit their new location (blockbuster.com). I wonder if they are closing more Greenville locations (I moved here recently and don't know where any other Blockbusters are).
Saw the same thing today at the one on Wade Hampton in Taylors.

Old 01-18-2012, 01:51 PM

9,503 posts, read 9,824,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scguy89 View Post
The Blockbuster on Woodruff Road by Publix is closing. I was quite surprised when I stopped by yesterday and saw that they were selling everything, even the fixtures. The signs on the windows told customers to visit their new location (blockbuster.com). I wonder if they are closing more Greenville locations (I moved here recently and don't know where any other Blockbusters are).
The manager at the closed Woodruff Road location told me that the two in Simpsonville were not on the current chopping block...but who knows.

Old 01-18-2012, 02:27 PM

5,015 posts, read 8,186,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
The manager at the closed Woodruff Road location told me that the two in Simpsonville were not on the current chopping block...but who knows.
http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/2012-01-11/business/fl-blockbuster-moving-signs-011212-20120111_1_closings-south-florida-stores-signs

Seems this is happening all over the country with Blockbuster. From what I read, they are closing more stores than they had originally anticipated. Don't be surprised if you see more closings around town.

Old 01-18-2012, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldemila View Post
http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/2012-01-11/business/fl-blockbuster-moving-signs-011212-20120111_1_closings-south-florida-stores-signs

Seems this is happening all over the country with Blockbuster. From what I read, they are closing more stores than they had originally anticipated. Don't be surprised if you see more closings around town.
I was searching earlier today for a comprehensive list without much success other than what you found. DISH bought Blockbuster in 3Q11 and they are closing stores as the leases come up for renewal. I believe in some cases they will reopen elsewhere with smaller stores or just direct you to their website.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area