Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2018, 03:51 PM

1,998 posts, read 4,607,387 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know when the interchange to Pelham Rd exit will finally get 8 lanes? the construction pace towards Pelham Rd interchange is glacial - in fact, I think it's just stopped - did project managers give up?

Also, will this massive construction mess finally fix the green median pylons (between the interchange and Pelham Rd)? these pylons have been smashed/bent/broken/missing for literally 10 years (since I've moved back to the Upstate) - I'm puzzled why a second tier concrete median barrier was not erected in this area (like for most of 85 in Upstate) - I assume since this is SC it's about $ and one must build roads as cheaply as possible
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2018, 03:59 PM

1,998 posts, read 4,607,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitewaterVol View Post
That seems like an odd detour. I would think most of that traffic would be better off exiting at the US276 exit and then using Verdae to connect back with Woodruff and/or I-385.
the 276 interchange is extremely dangerous - I live near it and avoid it entirely (shortest accel/decel lanes I've ever seen in my life) - but hey, I've been told SC will redesign it in 2024 to accommodate the year 2000 traffic! I can't imagine using it as a detour point with interstate traffic - also, Verdae Rd has closed several lanes due to ongoing construction locally

Old 08-10-2018, 06:51 AM

2,781 posts, read 3,290,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drfranklin View Post
the 276 interchange is extremely dangerous - I live near it and avoid it entirely (shortest accel/decel lanes I've ever seen in my life) - but hey, I've been told SC will redesign it in 2024 to accommodate the year 2000 traffic! I can't imagine using it as a detour point with interstate traffic - also, Verdae Rd has closed several lanes due to ongoing construction locally
I hate that intersection as well but driving up to Pelham Road and then turning around isn't going to be a picnic, either. I didn't realize that they are also working on Verdae - I avoid going to the Woodruff Road area as much as possible.

Old 08-10-2018, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drfranklin View Post
Does anyone know when the interchange to Pelham Rd exit will finally get 8 lanes? the construction pace towards Pelham Rd interchange is glacial - in fact, I think it's just stopped - did project managers give up?

Also, will this massive construction mess finally fix the green median pylons (between the interchange and Pelham Rd)? these pylons have been smashed/bent/broken/missing for literally 10 years (since I've moved back to the Upstate) - I'm puzzled why a second tier concrete median barrier was not erected in this area (like for most of 85 in Upstate) - I assume since this is SC it's about $ and one must build roads as cheaply as possible
I think it is crazy that they didn't add the lane down to the Pelham Road exit in the first stage of the project. You only have to pull that lane down a few hundred yards to get it down to Pelham Road and it would make a significant improvement in the traffic flow.

Old 08-10-2018, 07:01 AM

308 posts, read 269,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitewaterVol View Post
I think it is crazy that they didn't add the lane down to the Pelham Road exit in the first stage of the project. You only have to pull that lane down a few hundred yards to get it down to Pelham Road and it would make a significant improvement in the traffic flow.
Are they still planning to extend that lane? I remember seeing a news story that they were having troubles with permitting but no explanation why.

Old 08-10-2018, 07:09 AM

11,706 posts, read 24,782,966 times
The land extension down to and from Pelham Road is currently on hold due to land acquisition issues.

Old 08-10-2018, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
The land extension down to and from Pelham Road is currently on hold due to land acquisition issues.
I'm not a big fan of imminent domain but a case could be made for using it there.

Old 08-10-2018, 08:46 AM

826 posts, read 1,125,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
I heard the issue was because the structure (not really a bridge in the traditional sense) that crosses over Rocky Creek was not designed to handle any additional lanes of traffic. The reengineering of that structure and all the environmental stuff that goes along with working around a body of water is what has caused the delays. Not saying for sure that is the issue, just what I have heard.

Old 08-10-2018, 11:55 AM

1,077 posts, read 1,649,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtmike View Post
I heard the issue was because the structure (not really a bridge in the traditional sense) that crosses over Rocky Creek was not designed to handle any additional lanes of traffic. The reengineering of that structure and all the environmental stuff that goes along with working around a body of water is what has caused the delays. Not saying for sure that is the issue, just what I have heard.
Me as well. I heard that they have been working on this as the rest of the project moved forward.

Old 08-10-2018, 06:01 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,782,966 times
Avoid I-385 coming out of downtown. Woof. The bozo at the SCDOT who approved this closure should be fired.

Nevermind: just a car accident.

Last edited by g-man430; 08-10-2018 at 06:16 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area