Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2021, 10:20 AM

1,912 posts, read 1,129,371 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artificial View Post
To be fair they built nearly $10B worth of cars last year and contribute nearly $16B to the GDP of the nation.

They pay about $15 million in property taxes every year. One year of their taxes exceeds the cost of the bridge by at least two fold.
I paid about 50% of my income in taxes last year.

So the government ought to pay for home improvements for me (so that I don’t have to pay for them)?

If a capital expense for a private business has a decent rate of return, a private business should be able to- and should- pay for it. My tax dollars should not. If the rate of return for the capital expense is insufficient, then the expense shouldn’t be paid, neither by the business nor by government.

Corporate welfare can be just as damaging as welfare for people who could support themselves but don’t.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2021, 06:06 AM

9,503 posts, read 9,818,992 times
I hear you GSPNative on the taxes...but how many jobs is your home improvements generating through out the last 2 and half decades? You must have a castle or something.

BMW alone has over 10k people working. Suppliers outside of BMW is probably another 10K, with many in SC. What about the thousands that serve BMW in some fashion every day?

Since BMW was built over 25 years ago, they have been spending money building something just about every year in existence. At this moment, BMW is building the new warehouse across the highway. They are building a new extension to a warehouse inside the campus starting in a few weeks. They just dug up the road leading into the main entrance and are repaving it and added a new lane. They built a new training center.

Coming soon:
  • New Stamping Plant on campus
  • Extension to the existing battery plant
  • Long term - a brand new battery plant
  • Very long term - an entire new production hall
  • Very long term - an entire new paint shop

That's taxes going BACK into our local economy. If BMW was not in SC, do you think our area would be enjoying the standard of living we have now? Do you think the tax breaks given to BMW were wasteful or unjust?

Old 11-19-2021, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
I hear you GSPNative on the taxes...but how many jobs is your home improvements generating through out the last 2 and half decades? You must have a castle or something.

BMW alone has over 10k people working. Suppliers outside of BMW is probably another 10K, with many in SC. What about the thousands that serve BMW in some fashion every day?

Since BMW was built over 25 years ago, they have been spending money building something just about every year in existence. At this moment, BMW is building the new warehouse across the highway. They are building a new extension to a warehouse inside the campus starting in a few weeks. They just dug up the road leading into the main entrance and are repaving it and added a new lane. They built a new training center.

Coming soon:
  • New Stamping Plant on campus
  • Extension to the existing battery plant
  • Long term - a brand new battery plant
  • Very long term - an entire new production hall
  • Very long term - an entire new paint shop

That's taxes going BACK into our local economy. If BMW was not in SC, do you think our area would be enjoying the standard of living we have now? Do you think the tax breaks given to BMW were wasteful or unjust?
The solution is for NO government to give special tax incentives to ANY business.

If BMW gets a tax break, how is that fair to its competitors? And if the tax breaks get BMW to invest where it otherwise would not, that distorts the economy and leads to capital being used inefficiently. A dollar should be invested where it will get the highest rate of return, which won’t happen if tax incentives cause the dollar to be invested in an otherwise less-economical investment. In the aggregate, that’s bad for economic growth.

Also, if BMW came here due to tax incentives…how many businesses went elsewhere due to other areas’ tax incentives? Overall, how is that good for the country in the aggregate?

Finally, if it’s fine to give tax breaks to lure businesses, why shouldn’t tax breaks be given to other states’ high net worth individuals who can be similarly beneficial to SC? Why not dole out money to lure, for example, NYC hedge fund managers?

Over my career so far I’ve paid seven figures of taxes, and upkeep for my home does help support jobs (lawn care, renovations, repair people, housekeeping, etc.- in addition to my household fully covering several jobs right now- home health care aides). While what I’ve gotten back for all of the taxes that I’ve given to “that one” and Brandon is minimal, I am not going to ask for special favors from the government. Just as BMW can afford to pay for a capital expense for its business, I can afford to pay for home upkeep.

Last edited by GSPNative; 11-19-2021 at 06:55 AM..

Old 11-19-2021, 08:44 AM

2,213 posts, read 2,844,644 times
If it was up to me, it would be federally illegal for states or localities to have special tax deals for anyone. Tax laws would be required to apply the same structure to everyone.

However, we don't live in such a world, and so SC can choose to either compete in this way for large employers, or refuse to play the game and probably lose them. And I think SC is better off overall by playing the game and getting the large employers in the area.

Old 11-19-2021, 09:57 AM

Gvsteve, you’ve got my vote if you ever run for office. USNRET04, you as well, most likely.

Old 08-08-2022, 06:21 AM

321 posts, read 406,971 times
I-85 South to shift onto newly constructed bridge over Rocky Creek within the next couple months...

https://www.wyff4.com/article/traffi...s%20-%20MASTER

Old 10-07-2022, 06:15 AM

7,259 posts, read 4,629,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by russwd View Post
I-85 South to shift onto newly constructed bridge over Rocky Creek within the next couple months...

https://www.wyff4.com/article/traffi...s%20-%20MASTER
And lane shift Southbound started this morning to the new section/bridge.

Old 10-07-2022, 07:27 AM

9,503 posts, read 9,818,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychoma View Post
And lane shift Southbound started this morning to the new section/bridge.
Massive backups this morning southbound.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area