Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2020, 09:26 AM

11,706 posts, read 24,782,966 times

Advertisements

I’m amazed at how many people switch lanes at the last second at this interchange. Are the overhead signs that difficult to read or are people just stupid?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2020, 09:29 AM

56 posts, read 57,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
I’m amazed at how many people switch lanes at the last second at this interchange. Are the overhead signs that difficult to read or are people just stupid?
Considering the location, I'm voting on stupid.

Old 10-05-2020, 09:40 AM

2,213 posts, read 2,842,664 times
It used to be that there was a bold white line dividing the lane that goes left from the lane that turns off right. It seems the new style is that the big bold white line does not indicate the dividing point, but it instead keeps people from the far right lane from crossing into the lane that could go either way. A lot of people don't understand this and change an extra lane unnecessarily to get past the big bold solid white line they don't actually need to cross.

Old 10-05-2020, 09:42 AM

723 posts, read 1,149,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob864 View Post
Considering the location, I'm voting on stupid.
I think drivers are getting generally more stupid every day, with people cutting across traffic to exit from the second or even third lane on a regular basis. I saw the same thing just yesterday at the Fairview rd. exit in Simpsonville.

Old 10-05-2020, 10:13 AM

11,706 posts, read 24,782,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvsteve View Post
It used to be that there was a bold white line dividing the lane that goes left from the lane that turns off right. It seems the new style is that the big bold white line does not indicate the dividing point, but it instead keeps people from the far right lane from crossing into the lane that could go either way. A lot of people don't understand this and change an extra lane unnecessarily to get past the big bold solid white line they don't actually need to cross.
Still doesn’t take away from the fact that people should know what lane to be in much sooner especially when you have four large overhead signs telling them.

Old 10-05-2020, 10:30 AM

9,495 posts, read 9,807,609 times
Quote:
Still doesn’t take away from the fact that people should know what lane to be in much sooner especially when you have four large overhead signs telling them.
I agree. Drivers are just not paying attention.

Old 10-05-2020, 11:22 AM

826 posts, read 1,125,306 times
Quote:

I agree in general is probably stupidity/not paying attention and overall the signage is very good. But I will say that the signage for going from 385-S to 85-S needs some work. Very little notice that 85-S south traffic needs to be in the far right lane. All the signage on 385-S leading up to the interchange groups all 85 traffic together. It isn't until that traffic splits from 385 that you get any signage saying the 85-S ramp is first and only accessible from the right lane. At that point you don't have a whole lot of time to move over.

Old 10-05-2020, 12:08 PM

308 posts, read 269,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtmike View Post
I agree in general is probably stupidity/not paying attention and overall the signage is very good. But I will say that the signage for going from 385-S to 85-S needs some work. Very little notice that 85-S south traffic needs to be in the far right lane. All the signage on 385-S leading up to the interchange groups all 85 traffic together. It isn't until that traffic splits from 385 that you get any signage saying the 85-S ramp is first and only accessible from the right lane. At that point you don't have a whole lot of time to move over.
While driving down this exit last week I think it finally occurred to me why there is so much confusion.

1) People are not paying attention to the signs.
2) They see the flyover rising up and veering off to the right towards Greenville. If they're heading to Greenville naturally they think they need to take the flyover. Because of the buildings and difference in grade, they can't see the flyover curving back southwards until they are right up at the point where the lanes begin to separate. That combined with not reading the signs results in last-second gymnastics.

Old 10-15-2020, 07:11 AM

9,495 posts, read 9,807,609 times
I've noticed something odd as I exit the flyover to 385 South from 85 South.

My car has newer Michelin Premier tires on it, good deep tread currently. But as I exit the flyover on the last curve, I've been noticing my traction control light flashing...on DRY PAVEMENT.

I've had my car 6 years now and rarely see the traction control light come on except for the area around the Gateway project. Either on the bridges or on the highway...but it had always been in wet weather.

In these cases I'm driving well below the speed limit (especially in wet weather). In the case of the dry pavement, I was probably doing at least the posted limit since it was a nice sunny day.

So I'm wondering (being a NASCAR fan) if that curve has a build up of rubber on it making it slick? I don't see anything obvious like oil.

Old 10-16-2020, 07:42 AM

321 posts, read 406,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
I've noticed something odd as I exit the flyover to 385 South from 85 South.

My car has newer Michelin Premier tires on it, good deep tread currently. But as I exit the flyover on the last curve, I've been noticing my traction control light flashing...on DRY PAVEMENT.

I've had my car 6 years now and rarely see the traction control light come on except for the area around the Gateway project. Either on the bridges or on the highway...but it had always been in wet weather.

In these cases I'm driving well below the speed limit (especially in wet weather). In the case of the dry pavement, I was probably doing at least the posted limit since it was a nice sunny day.

So I'm wondering (being a NASCAR fan) if that curve has a build up of rubber on it making it slick? I don't see anything obvious like oil.
I drive through that spot quite often and have not noticed anything squirrelly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area