Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 09:41 AM

262 posts, read 824,479 times

Advertisements

For easley area I can recomend these apartment complexes. They are in good areas (I feel) and look nice not too much or any rift raft. These are ones we considered: Auston Woods $535-770 (new) they are across the street from Rock Springs Baptist (huge church on 123) set back a few streets from 123. A few cops live there. Near the new shopping center with walmart etc. Shadowbrook $550-750 (older more mature trees) behind rock springs church and also off powdersville rd. A few cops live here too. Also, you may have passed this one when you played disc golf at JB owens. It is creekside $560-614 (older and some older cars etc.) may be fixed income requirements...not sure. Right behind a elementry school and next to Ingles. Hope this helps you some. I looked at many in easley and powdersville areas before coming down to these. Some others are just in areas that I would prefer not to go in. The 1st 2 are close to gville 10 miles approx. (to the zoo downtown) and 21 minutes. Hope this helps you. If you have any questions feel free to ask me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2009, 10:02 AM

462 posts, read 968,511 times
The Powdersville/Piedmont area is a beautiful place to rent or own & it is between Greenville, Easley, Anderson & Simpsonville... it is the perfect place to live with plenty of restaurants & stores, with no more than 10-20 min. driving distance to all the malls and other restaurants/stores you would need.

Old 06-11-2009, 03:25 PM

365 posts, read 1,010,090 times
CoffeeAddict...
No concern with pets, we no longer have any. I can see where your options were limited! Sorry you're in the situation you're in.
Sounds like your responsibility surrounded yourself & the dogs when it came to the move. We have the history of a 27 year marriage with two grown children, so we have "stuff" to figure out what to do with
For us, replaceable could be at a cost we can't afford. I'd even consider paying a moving company to move us, maybe. Gotta figure out our priorities I will not buy a house unseen now since reading about your experience. Perhaps so, if we were to visit a couple more times, but not with the limited knowledge we have right now.
Thanks for sharing.

The area you suggested, may be to far west & south for us. We'd kind of like to be somewhere around or between Timmon's Park in GV & Greer, or halfway between those & Easley, which I don't think is possible. We will be playing disc golf almost daily, so it's important for us to be close to a course we enjoy playing We never did get a chance to check out the course in Simpsonville, so don't have an opinion about it, or the area. Greer has the course we enjoyed the most, then Timmon's, followed by Easley. Easley's course is very technical & long, maybe a once a week trip. I've probably lost you with my conversation about dg, and you might not understand my passion towards it, as in wanting to live close to a course. We all have our reasons to want to live somewhere

Diablo0...
Building is out of the question for us, we will need to find an existing home to buy.
We're also unable to make the several visits you were able to make, due to money constraints & the distance.
Wish we did live as close as you did to make it back & forth in one day. I will be really happy once we do make the final move. One step at a time I guess.
What I did get from your post was the idea to set up our banking needs when we come down to look at & rent an apt., before moving there

Kkirch123...
I will check out those apts. online. We're not sure if the Easley area is where we want to live though. It may be a bit to far from GV for us. I was kind of thinking maybe northeast of GV, to be closer to the mountains & state parks, as well as the disc golf course at Timmon's Park, or just south of where Timmon's Park is, but no further then Mauldin. However, I see Easley does have a large shopping center coming sometime in the future I don't think of the apts you mentioned, the third one would not be an option. I really don't care to be right next to any school. I'm appreciating peace & quiet these days.
I think we will need to concentrate on just driving around the different areas next time we come down for a couple of days.
Would you care to inform me which areas you didn't prefer??

Old 06-11-2009, 04:02 PM

262 posts, read 824,479 times
There is an area near park west apartments in downtown easley that I did not feel was too safe. I do not want to offend anyone but I would not want to be there at night or alone. There are 2 apartments in powdersville/piedmont address called heritage trace. They looked as if the residents do not take care of things if you know what I mean. The other apartments in Easley were ok just looked like people did not care about things or a bit run down. We care about appearance on the outside. I can't tell you about gville apartments as we did not look there. I hope you guys find what you are looking for!

Old 06-11-2009, 08:48 PM

Kkirch123...
I think the best thing for us to do for now is check online into the apts. around the area that seem to fit what we'd be looking for, short term. After that, once time is getting closer say next spring/early summer make a trip down to visit potential apts./neighborhoods for about three days. Then, we should have a good idea exactly where we want to rent for a little while, so we should be able to rent an apt. over the phone, shortly before we make our move down there. Once in our rental, we then will be able take our time looking for the right home & neighborhood for us to buy in
It just doesn't make sense to even attempt to buy a house with the little information we have, and w/o actually being able to see the potential houses.
I hope we find what we're looking for to! In the meantime, we will be doing as much research as we possibly can, to be informed consumers.

Old 06-12-2009, 01:27 AM

470 posts, read 595,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlk33 View Post
jbar1...
Has it actually taken you a year to find something you'd want to own, have you known for awhile the area you wanted to buy in? I can see where you're coming from about it taking time to have a better idea exactly what works best as far as situation goes. The thought of renting somewhat bothers me, having lived in our own home for so long, it feels like we're taking a step back having to deal with close neighbors & the noise
I suppose that will get us real busy searching for our "perfect place"
Maybe I can apt. hunt online then ask opinions of those responding to my post?? I do realize another trip down is the best idea though, it's just we'd rather save up as much money as we can before the move.
We will be happy to away from the long fridgid winters Wondering a bit about the longer summer heat though.
No I would say no more than 6 months. It took us nine but we didn't look right away either. We moved down here after I lost my job in NY so I had to find a job first. Mortgage companies are funny that way.... Usually minimum leases lengths are 6 months.

Old 06-12-2009, 07:04 AM

jbar1..
We were kind of wondering if we'd be able to find a month to month lease. Neither of us cares to be tied down with a year lease. Six months isn't the greatest, but it's better then a year!
That was pretty risky of you to make such a bold move not knowing if you'd find a job, or when. I guess you must have figured the move had more benefits then staying put

Old 06-12-2009, 08:42 AM

470 posts, read 595,317 times
I would look at sites like apartments.com and just call and ask if you could go month to month. I'm sure you'll find something.

Bold??? I surely wouldn't recommend it but because of the circumstances I had nothing to lose. I didn't have a job in NY, and I didn't want another job in NY! So I figured I'd have an easier time of finding a job here if I was physically here. I actually found a great job here, but I'm sure that wouldn't be so easy now....

Good luck with your search

Old 06-12-2009, 09:19 AM

348 posts, read 496,974 times
Default Simpsonville Bound

We are moving to Simpsonville this coming Monday. Moving from the Pittsburgh Pa. area. We actually own a condo at a location called Wyndham Place ( Bethel Road). Very nice area. Just off Laurens road (rt 417). It is closer to Mauldin. We actually pay our taxes to Mauldin but have a Simpsonville address. Anyway, we really like the area. Very quiet area, very friendly. It is so convenient to 385( 1 mile away) and other amenities as well. BTW, there is an end condo unit for sale down the street with 2 bedrooms very, very nice. I am not a realtor or have any interest in the property. Just a FYI. We looked at the place prior to buying ours. Ours has 3 bedrooms and fitted our needs. Hope this helps in some way. Contact me if you have further questions.

Old 06-12-2009, 12:50 PM

jbar1...
Just curious, why the decision to choose GV over any other place? It's sure a big change from NY! I personally can understand not wanting to live in NY.

I will check out apartments.com. Thanks.

Nuguy2...
Have you owned the condo while living in Pa., or did you recently buy it while hunting for a place to own? Close to Mauldin or in Mauldin could be a possibility for us, I'm doing the research right now to try to figure out which cities fit our situation the best. We will make another visit deciding where to rent, while looking for a place to buy. I don't want to attempt to buy anything until we've done more driving around to get a better idea exactly where is best for us. I don't think condo living is something we'd be happy with. We're used to the space & privacy that a single family home seems to offer. The idea of low to no maintenance interests us, but not the HOA rules & fees.
I'm sure you'll appreciate not having to deal with long winters anymore!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area