Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 01:36 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,578,065 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenville View Post
Anyone can play. I frequently saw students playing it when I was at Clemson (I have even seen them playing at night). I would recommend playing on a weekend or during a break from school, as it would be nearly impossible to avoid hitting people if you play when a lot is going on.

If you are a disc golf purist, and hate the idea of not having the official yellow disc catchers for holes, not having marked tee boxes, etc., then this course probably isn't for you. But if you want a change of pace, and the opportunity to "tour" a beautiful college campus at the same time, then you should give it a shot. Maybe it was just special to me because I went there and know the history of the place, but I think you would enjoy it too.

I doubt it is illegal to throw a disc on the campus of a public university, and I have never heard of anyone being arrested or even warned for playing.
Ditto. You'll find several groups of people doing this daily (usually evenings/nights and weekends). Campus police and security have never had a problem with it as far as my own experiences and those of my friends (who are much more avid frisbee golfers than I). Most students on campus consider it one of those things you must do before you graduate. So, as you can see it's very popular and I've yet to hear about any problems with legality, etc.

I'd highly suggest checking it out. It's fairly challenging with the hills of the campus and the goals being what they are. Plus, it's a beautiful campus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2009, 07:35 PM

620 posts, read 1,839,194 times
Thanks for the info - appreciate it!!

Old 06-14-2009, 08:01 PM

365 posts, read 1,010,765 times
suecen...
I've done lots of research on many places in an attempt to find somewhere that fits our goals for a place to retire in a year. I'm sure you would rid yourself of the long cold winters of Wi., but realize you will have to deal with more heat & humidity down south. We aren't concerned with job market, since we won't need to be employeed. I would never suggest moving anywhere these days without having a job lined up that fits ones financial needs first! Keep in mind that the pay most likely will be less down south then in the midwest, but the cost of living is less as well.
If I can answer any other questions for you, just let me know

Old 06-14-2009, 08:04 PM

cougfan & gvillesc...
Thanks for the info on the campus dg! We will consider giving it a go once we're finally moved to the GV area

Old 06-15-2009, 05:54 AM

620 posts, read 1,839,194 times
dlk33 - Thanks - yes that all makes sense. I know I'd be trading cold winters for the heat/humidity but I am just so ready to get out of WI. I'm sure I"ll have other questions - this is one of the friendlier sites I've been on in Citi-Data!!!! Thanks again.

Old 06-15-2009, 07:40 AM

suecen...
I understand your desire to want to be rid of the long frigid winters in Wi.! We've put up with them for over 20 years now, the snow is actually one the main reasons we moved to Wi so long ago. If you're looking for a less liberal state, SC just might be a good option. Lower cost of living is also a plus.
The worst part of the upcoming move for us is to know our grown children will still be living here, but winter here will give them good reason or excuse to come down to visit us If you're that interested, a visit to GV should be a priority! Feel free to pm me if want to discuss anything further, that you might not want as public.

Old 06-16-2009, 07:56 AM

5,893 posts, read 12,814,818 times
In my case, I was already semi-retired and not in need of a good job or good schools. One of my children had already relocated to the Greenville area from Florida and so had done a lot of the research for me. I was hooked on Greenville during my very first visit in May 2007, made two more visits after that and was moving into my new home by mid-December that same year. I was fortunate in that I didn't have to wait until my home in Illinois sold before I could make the move but am darn lucky that it did sell about 8 months later.

I could not be happier with my choice of Greenville or the home and location I chose to live in (East side but technically in Greer). Yes, there's more heat and humidity in the summer months, but it's a lot less than in Florida (or not as constant), and it does get nicer in the evenings. The best part for me, though, are the long and glorious springs and falls and the fact that it's like a scenic drive just going to the supermarket.

Old 06-16-2009, 01:56 PM

PhotoGal...
So you managed to find & buy a house in GV while still living in a different state? I'd love to be able to do that, but am concerned that I could end up making a huge long term mistake, by not seeing the house or neighborhood before making the purchase. I dread renting an apartment, especially since we're used to living in a single family home. From what I've read online, it's really hit or miss, with more misses then hits when it comes to renting an apt. in the GV area.
We would have to sell our house first before buying another, you were fortunate in that respect.

I'm sure for you that the summer weather in GV is much nicer then what you had in or were used to in Florida. I'm comparing Wi to SC though, which is different. It's much cooler in Wi most times of the year then FL.
I'm sure we can learn to do outdoor activities early or late in the day to avoid the highest heat or humidity.
I'm glad for you that the choice you made has turned out to be a good one! It must be especially nice to be nearer to one of your children!

Old 07-11-2009, 09:41 PM

19 posts, read 75,385 times
Where is the handbook for moving out of State ? We live in Michigan and next year we will find a new home in Greenville area. we will be visiting the Easley area in a couple of weeks. I know we are going to have to rent for a while. Any suggestions on what we do with our furniture? we can't sell it and buy new when we get there. A storage unit is the only thing I can think of. HELP !

CL0

Old 07-12-2009, 04:52 PM

MrsCLO...
Why not bring the furniture with you? Won't you need it if you rent an apt. that is not furnished? With the economy the way it is right now, it's probably a good idea to rent for awhile. This way you will have time to figure out better which neighborhoods suit you best when you're ready to buy. If by any chance you find you're not happy living in the Greenville area, it will be easier to move as well.
At least you don't have a business to sell, as well as a house, like we do before we make our move!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area